Esteemed Contributor

Re: A picture worth looking at.

@KKJ  I think what I heard at the time was in France they "scoop and go."  If the accident had happened here, attempts to treat and stabilize her would have been made at the scene. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

When are we going to hear recovery rates?

Yes, a person may test positive...they may go home to quarantine,  or go to the hospital, or the ICU. All we hear about is how many are positive and how many die.  How about the ones who recover?  

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@vsm -

I don't deal in "rates" but do understand.

What matters to me is how many people have died especially if they are someone you loved.And knowing they are not coming back. And they have no care how many died per....

For those who are interested in statistics, that is an entirely different

and irrelevant interest to me.

What I don't understand are those like yourself by addressing me with wondering if I understand as if I'm ignorant or need to know statistical facts.

Are you wanting to diminish the horrifying numbers and sadness and tragedy for those who have died by spouting rates, percentages etc etc?

If so, you and others can do it amoungst yourselves. I hope you understand. 

@on the bay  You claim that "statistics" are "irrelevant" to you, when in fact the admittedly "horrifying numbers" of deaths you cite are themselves a statistic.  My point is that, when cited without context, that statistic gives an incomplete picture of the virus's impact -- and an incomplete picture is an inaccurate one.  Sadly, our number of infections is rising.  At the same time, both our hospitalization rate and our mortality rate for infections is declining -- in fact, the US's mortality rate is one of the lowest in the world.  Does that mean that every death to this terrible virus is not a tragedy?  Of course not.  What it means is that a compassionate citizenry can also be an informed one.  I hope you understand.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Well, the EU doesn't want to see our faces yet:

"With America's coronavirus death toll climbing to nearly 127,000, the European Union lifted travel restrictions for 15 countries but not the U.S.

"Even China, where the deadly pandemic is believed to have started back in December, made the EU's cut of countries where the rate of infection is deemed low enough to allow people from those places to travel into the bloc.

"The way in which the current American administration has dealt with the virus, I don't think it would be responsible for any European leader to basically let Americans in at the moment," former Finnish prime minister Alexander Stubb told NBC News."

Even the EU doesn't claim to be able to confirm the numbers put out by China, which to date still says it has had fewer cases than most members of the EU.  

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@KKJ  I think what I heard at the time was in France they "scoop and go."  If the accident had happened here, attempts to treat and stabilize her would have been made at the scene. 

Really? I thought it was the opposite and that in America they "scoop and go" and hurry to hospital for treatment and that in Europe they try to treat more at the scene. The same with Princess Grace of Monaco and her car crash. Remember at the time they said she may have survived had it happened in the US as hospital there wasn't near as well-equipped to treat her.  Will try to find out more on this.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We live in a big country, lots of big cities, lots of people coming in from around the world, lots of traffic, lots of planes, lots of moving around.

Lots of big cities people crowded and moving around.  Lots of events, and of recent various gatherings of close size.

Contrast to model of life in other countries.  Would you give it up?  If so, why don't you live there?

Big country, big problems!  We live very very different lives here in the USA.  Maybe it's time to think about and whether or not you REALLY want to live here or somewhere else.

I am very serious.  Maybe it's time some of us rethink where our heart and lifestyle is and where we want to or where we really should live.  No joke.  Are you living the way you want to live or not? Move to another area, state, or country.  We have choices open to us. 

Love it or leave it?

Should people not voice their opinions unless they are positive? That doesn't sound very American to me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@vsm -

I don't want to get into an argument with you. I am just expressing how I feel. You don't need to educate me about statistics. I am quite aware of researching statistics.

I can respect how you feel about things so there is no need to argue or try to convince me of what is important. Deaths and hospitalizations are increasing in many states, so your statement is not altogether true.

I am just saying for me, any amount of statistics people use does not negate the severity of the deaths, each and every one to me anyway.

So until I see those go way down or not increasing, that will be a good thing, regardless of the rate or percentage of people getting it. I care about the ones who have it now and die from it. Including one of my family. So you see I am coming from that perspective.

I am just as informed as you I'm sure

so again, I hope you understand and lets leave it at that.

We may have different perspectives on this and you see things that are important to you to understand, the same as I do to what is important to me as far as statistics, charts etc goes.

And this from the cdc.gov website-

July 1, 2020

Interpretation of Cumulative Death Forecasts

• This week CDC received 20 individual national forecasts.
  • This week’s national ensemble forecast suggests that there will likely be between 130,000 and 150,000 total reported COVID-19 deaths by July 18th.
  • The state-level ensemble forecasts suggest that the number of new deaths over the next four weeks in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah will likely exceed the number reported over the last four weeks. For other states, the number of new deaths is expected to be similar to the number seen in the previous four weeks or to decrease slightly.

Interpretation of Forecasts of New Hospitalizations

• This week, four national forecasts suggest an increase in the number of new COVID-19 hospitalizations per day over the next four weeks, while three other forecasts predict stable numbers or slight declines.  On July 25, the forecasts estimate 1,000 to 15,000 new hospitalizations per day.
  • State-level forecasts also show a high degree of variability, which results from multiple factors.  Hospitalization forecasts use different sources of data for COVID-19 cases or deaths, with different limitations, and make different assumptions about social distancing.
"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Really? I thought it was the opposite and that in America they "scoop and go" and hurry to hospital for treatment and that in Europe they try to treat more at the scene. The same with Princess Grace of Monaco and her car crash. Remember at the time they said she may have survived had it happened in the US as hospital there wasn't near as well-equipped to treat her.  Will try to find out more on this.

@KKJ  You may be correct. 🤷‍♀️

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We live in a big country, lots of big cities, lots of people coming in from around the world, lots of traffic, lots of planes, lots of moving around.

Lots of big cities people crowded and moving around.  Lots of events, and of recent various gatherings of close size.

Contrast to model of life in other countries.  Would you give it up?  If so, why don't you live there?

Big country, big problems!  We live very very different lives here in the USA.  Maybe it's time to think about and whether or not you REALLY want to live here or somewhere else.

I am very serious.  Maybe it's time some of us rethink where our heart and lifestyle is and where we want to or where we really should live.  No joke.  Are you living the way you want to live or not? Move to another area, state, or country.  We have choices open to us. 

Love it or leave it?

Should people not voice their opinions unless they are positive? That doesn't sound very American to me.

🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

When are we going to hear recovery rates?

Yes, a person may test positive...they may go home to quarantine,  or go to the hospital, or the ICU. All we hear about is how many are positive and how many die.  How about the ones who recover?  

@esmerelda Here are the current statistics from Worldometers dot com for for US closed cases, recoveries and deaths.  The recovery rate is going up and the death rate is going down, probably because most of the current cases are younger people.  

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 8.03.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-01 at 8.04.28 PM.png