Respected Contributor

Re: A picture worth looking at.

@on the bay wrote:

@vsm -

I don't want to get into an argument with you. I am just expressing how I feel. You don't need to educate me about statistics. I am quite aware of researching statistics.

I can respect how you feel about things so there is no need to argue or try to convince me of what is important. Deaths and hospitalizations are increasing in many states, so your statement is not altogether true.

I am just saying for me, any amount of statistics people use does not negate the severity of the deaths, each and every one to me anyway.

So until I see those go way down or not increasing, that will be a good thing, regardless of the rate or percentage of people getting it. I care about the ones who have it now and die from it. Including one of my family. So you see I am coming from that perspective.

I am just as informed as you I'm sure

so again, I hope you understand and lets leave it at that.

We may have different perspectives on this and you see things that are important to you to understand, the same as I do to what is important to me as far as statistics, charts etc goes.

And this from the cdc.gov website-

July 1, 2020

Interpretation of Cumulative Death Forecasts

• This week CDC received 20 individual national forecasts.
  • This week’s national ensemble forecast suggests that there will likely be between 130,000 and 150,000 total reported COVID-19 deaths by July 18th.
  • The state-level ensemble forecasts suggest that the number of new deaths over the next four weeks in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah will likely exceed the number reported over the last four weeks. For other states, the number of new deaths is expected to be similar to the number seen in the previous four weeks or to decrease slightly.

Interpretation of Forecasts of New Hospitalizations

• This week, four national forecasts suggest an increase in the number of new COVID-19 hospitalizations per day over the next four weeks, while three other forecasts predict stable numbers or slight declines.  On July 25, the forecasts estimate 1,000 to 15,000 new hospitalizations per day.
  • State-level forecasts also show a high degree of variability, which results from multiple factors.  Hospitalization forecasts use different sources of data for COVID-19 cases or deaths, with different limitations, and make different assumptions about social distancing.

Again, @on the bay, I don't dispute the number of infections, hosptalizations, and deaths, and I appreciate the significance of every life lost.  Hopefully, even as infections increase primarily among relatively young adults, our hospitalization and mortality rates will continue to decline.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We live in a big country, lots of big cities, lots of people coming in from around the world, lots of traffic, lots of planes, lots of moving around.

Lots of big cities people crowded and moving around.  Lots of events, and of recent various gatherings of close size.

Contrast to model of life in other countries.  Would you give it up?  If so, why don't you live there?

Big country, big problems!  We live very very different lives here in the USA.  Maybe it's time to think about and whether or not you REALLY want to live here or somewhere else.

I am very serious.  Maybe it's time some of us rethink where our heart and lifestyle is and where we want to or where we really should live.  No joke.  Are you living the way you want to live or not? Move to another area, state, or country.  We have choices open to us. 

I like this fantasy of just waltzing into another country and announcing "I'm here to stay, thank me later."

@stuyvesant   Well, you can come here.  Why not?

@Sooner Because you CAN'T go there.  There are age, education, and income requirements.

You can LIVE there, maybe, if you meet requirements and don't mind constantly updating your paperwork, but you'll still be a U.S. citizen, paying U.S. taxes, and allowed to vote and comment on U.S. affairs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@vsm -

I don't want to get into an argument with you. I am just expressing how I feel. You don't need to educate me about statistics. I am quite aware of researching statistics.

I can respect how you feel about things so there is no need to argue or try to convince me of what is important. Deaths and hospitalizations are increasing in many states, so your statement is not altogether true.

I am just saying for me, any amount of statistics people use does not negate the severity of the deaths, each and every one to me anyway.

So until I see those go way down or not increasing, that will be a good thing, regardless of the rate or percentage of people getting it. I care about the ones who have it now and die from it. Including one of my family. So you see I am coming from that perspective.

I am just as informed as you I'm sure

so again, I hope you understand and lets leave it at that.

We may have different perspectives on this and you see things that are important to you to understand, the same as I do to what is important to me as far as statistics, charts etc goes.

And this from the cdc.gov website-

July 1, 2020

Interpretation of Cumulative Death Forecasts

• This week CDC received 20 individual national forecasts.
  • This week’s national ensemble forecast suggests that there will likely be between 130,000 and 150,000 total reported COVID-19 deaths by July 18th.
  • The state-level ensemble forecasts suggest that the number of new deaths over the next four weeks in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah will likely exceed the number reported over the last four weeks. For other states, the number of new deaths is expected to be similar to the number seen in the previous four weeks or to decrease slightly.

Interpretation of Forecasts of New Hospitalizations

• This week, four national forecasts suggest an increase in the number of new COVID-19 hospitalizations per day over the next four weeks, while three other forecasts predict stable numbers or slight declines.  On July 25, the forecasts estimate 1,000 to 15,000 new hospitalizations per day.
  • State-level forecasts also show a high degree of variability, which results from multiple factors.  Hospitalization forecasts use different sources of data for COVID-19 cases or deaths, with different limitations, and make different assumptions about social distancing.

Again, @on the bay, I don't dispute the number of infections, hosptalizations, and deaths, and I appreciate the significance of every life lost.  Hopefully, even as infections increase primarily among relatively young adults, our hospitalization and mortality rates will continue to decline.

@vsm The problem is that these younger people will spread it to others and it will spiral out of control.

Valued Contributor

Geographic distribution of Covid-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK as of 1 July 2020

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 1 July 2020

As of 01 July 2020, 1,561,230 cases have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK: United Kingdom (312 654), Spain (249 271), Italy (240 578), Germany (194 725), France (164 801), Sweden (68 451), Belgium (61 509), Netherlands (50 273), Portugal (42 141), Poland (34 393), Romania (26 970), Ireland (25 473), Austria (17 777), Denmark (12 768), Czechia (11 954), Norway (8 865), Finland (7 214), Bulgaria (4 989), Luxembourg (4 299), Hungary (4 155), Greece (3 409), Croatia (2 777), Estonia (1 989), Iceland (1 842), Lithuania (1 817), Slovakia (1 667), Slovenia (1 600), Latvia (1 118), Cyprus (998), Malta (670) and Liechtenstein (83).

As of 01 July 2020, 177,122 deaths have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK: United Kingdom (43 730), Italy (34 767), France (29 843), Spain (28 355), Belgium (9 754), Germany (8 985), Netherlands (6 113), Sweden (5 333), Ireland (1 736), Romania (1 651), Portugal (1 576), Poland (1 463), Austria (705), Denmark (605), Hungary (585), Czechia (349), Finland (328), Norway (250), Bulgaria (230), Greece (192), Slovenia (111), Luxembourg (110), Croatia (107), Lithuania (78), Estonia (69), Latvia (30), Slovakia (28), Cyprus (19), Iceland (10), Malta (9) and Liechtenstein (1).

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We live in a big country, lots of big cities, lots of people coming in from around the world, lots of traffic, lots of planes, lots of moving around.

Lots of big cities people crowded and moving around.  Lots of events, and of recent various gatherings of close size.

Contrast to model of life in other countries.  Would you give it up?  If so, why don't you live there?

Big country, big problems!  We live very very different lives here in the USA.  Maybe it's time to think about and whether or not you REALLY want to live here or somewhere else.

I am very serious.  Maybe it's time some of us rethink where our heart and lifestyle is and where we want to or where we really should live.  No joke.  Are you living the way you want to live or not? Move to another area, state, or country.  We have choices open to us. 

Good Question.  I live in France for about 6 weeks every year and have done so for the last 20 years.  I have a pretty good idea of life there in the EU.  They have the same big cities, more dense populations, modern and much much safer.  Good health care for everyone.  The rule in France,  if you call an ambulance, there is always a Doctor riding in it.  Imagine that here. We are just getting technology that they have had 10 years ago.  No charge for international calls to US.  They had the credit card chip almost 15 years ago.  All countries have their strengths.

@Bhvbum Then again a lot of people think Diana would have lived had she been here and had rapid transport to a trauma center. . . you never know. 

I agree about technology because we have to test and certify beyond what sometimes is reasonable.  

Perfect point, Diana would have lived if she had her seatbelt on.  😷 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Love it or leave it?

Should people not voice their opinions unless they are positive? That doesn't sound very American to me.

Yes. That's what some people think is American, not me. Sounds like maybe North Korea and such? China?.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

greeneyedlady wrote:
suzyQ3 wrote:
Sooner wrote:

Love it or leave it?

Should people not voice their opinions unless they are positive? That doesn't sound very American to me.

Yes. That's what some people think is American, not me. Sounds like maybe North Korea and such? China?.

WE have people trying to silence our speech, police our thoughts, and erase our history. Doesn't sound very American to me.

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Duh, you don't think we should have had a coordinated approach by now, something that could have tamped down the occurrence of this novel coronavirus?

What are you thinking?

Maybe no more protests during a pandemic 🧐

...or perhaps no more rallies or July 4th huge celebration on the National Mall in DC where the wearing of masks will not be mandated.

What could possibly go wrong?

So you're really comparing the two? How many cities were those massive protests in? And they are still happening. Pointing your fingers away from the real problem doesn't change it. 

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Duh, you don't think we should have had a coordinated approach by now, something that could have tamped down the occurrence of this novel coronavirus?

What are you thinking?

Maybe no more protests during a pandemic 🧐

@Lali1 Protests have not been shown to be a trigger for this latest surge.  The Memorial Day holiday, states easing up on restrictions and complacency by younger people seem to be the driving factors.  

Fake news! If you believe that I can't even take you serious. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lion wrote:

If you're not angry about this, you're not paying attention.

@Lion  What does angry do?  All I can do is wear a mask, wash my hands and physically distance myself from others.

Keepin' it real.