Respected Contributor

Re: A picture worth looking at.

@golding76 wrote:

WHEN THE coronavirus pandemic began, the goal was to “flatten the curve,” to avoid overwhelming the hospital system. With enormous effort, the nation came close. But now the curve has come undone. The chart of daily new cases in the United States looks like a ski lift, rising ever steeper. “There’s still a lot of virus,” warns Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A vaccine may still be a long way off. How do we ever get back to a semblance of normal?...

[There is more but I'd better not copy and paste it.]

Dr. Schuchat is the real brains at the CDC and not blinded by politics. This was a gamble that if the virus was ignored it would go away, and that hasn't happened in fact it's backfired. I am staying as close to home as possible;  that way masks, etc aren't an issue. But I live in a college town and the residents are already beginning to worry about what is going to happen when that population comes back in August.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm wrote:

@BhvbumLooking at graphs for only one data point -- in this case, the number of infections -- gives a highly distorted view.  What also matter are the hospitalization rate and the death rate, both of which are declining in the U.S., as the new infections are occurring largely among younger people who overall get milder cases of covid and recover from them much more quickly than people over 65.  It's important to reduce the overall level of infection, but to focus only on that while ignoring the hospitalization and death rates gives a misleading picture of where we are and where we're headed.

That's right to a point, but then it reaches a point where there is so much widespread infection it is very difficult to control. Here in Virginia we are at about 11% but in South Carolina with a much less dense population they are at 18%.  What we need is a national defense, but we are forced for every state reinvent the wheel.  This is a picture of a failure of our country to control the spread.

And when it starts to get this bad we are on the defensive, with hospitals almost at capacity in a lot of states, so testing tracing and investigating becomes impossible because people are exposed to so many other infected people.  Long term conditions are on the rise also, long after people think they are well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
on the bay wrote:

The US now has more covid19 deaths than any other country!

June 29,2020

The U.S. now has more confirmed cases and deaths than any other country worldwide. All 50 states have been affected, but New York has the highest number of deaths and has reported more cases than any single country outside of the United States.

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:
on the bay wrote:

The US now has more covid19 deaths than any other country!

The U.S. now has more confirmed cases and deaths than any other country worldwide. All 50 states have been affected, but New York has the highest number of deaths and has reported more cases than any single country outside of the United States.

But New York has done a great job of holding the spread and the deaths:A chart showing how the number of daily deaths in New York compares to the number in the rest of the US.

Respected Contributor

And yet our school district announced today that the 2020-2021 school year will be face to face traditional on campus school year.  With all the news of the rise in numbers...I just don't understand.

Honored Contributor

Well, the EU doesn't want to see our faces yet:

"With America's coronavirus death toll climbing to nearly 127,000, the European Union lifted travel restrictions for 15 countries but not the U.S.

"Even China, where the deadly pandemic is believed to have started back in December, made the EU's cut of countries where the rate of infection is deemed low enough to allow people from those places to travel into the bloc.

"The way in which the current American administration has dealt with the virus, I don't think it would be responsible for any European leader to basically let Americans in at the moment," former Finnish prime minister Alexander Stubb told NBC News."

Respected Contributor

Sad.

Honored Contributor

The USA has a bigger population than most countries so of course it has more deaths (I don't believe China's figures for its population).

So yes, I'm sure the USA has more deaths than Belgium, Portugal, Monoco, Spain, Mexico....shall I go on?
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
The USA has a bigger population than most countries so of course it has more deaths (I don't believe China's figures for its population).

So yes, I'm sure the USA has more deaths than Belgium, Portugal, Monoco, Spain, Mexico....shall I go on?

The US population is about 340 million and the Eurpean Union at about 440 million.  Look at my graph on page one.

Respected Contributor

The USA has a couple of problems.  First off, its a sickly population.  Look at all the drug commercials on TV - every commercial break how many drug commercials do we see?  And the kids - what about the kids - many of them suffering so w/all types of brain and nerve disorders.  What's that all about?

Second of all, its all about ME.  Instead of giving a care as to how your choices affect others, its all about what I want to do and to heck w/how you feel about it.  As long as I benefit and do what I want to do, when I want to do it, its too bad for you.  Its a ME ME ME society - for the most part anyway.

It sure is a depressing time, especially for those of us who are alone anyway.  I'm not surprised at this graph especially after all these large gatherings we've been seeing while we try NOT to watch the news.  'tis a sorry state of affairs in this country right now.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing