Honored Contributor

Re: A pet peeve - this drives me crazy

I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot, OP would be annoyed that it was taking too long to get to her because the person in front of her was so slow putting their money away. 

Have you ever thought of taking a mindfulness class?  It must be hard to go through life being annoyed and put upon at every turn. 

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Try writing a check for your purchase.  Best way to tick off every one in the store.

@Preds Not to be snarky, but I get ticked off on a daily basis on our aggressive interstates where I live  It's about time I ticked somebody off.  I always write a check at the grocery store.  If the person behind doesn't have three seconds in their life to wait her turn, then I feel very sorry for them.  They sure won't live long.  

Hahaha ... you aren't being snarky.  DH pays cash and puts his bills back in order and his coins in his pockets.  I tend to use my cc to avoid the carp, but I have been known to write a check when I have a PITA behind me.  Some people need to learn and I am willing to teach. LOL    

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Exactly, Carrie.   Thanks for explaining it so well.

It's just about common courtesy, IMO.   I'm not going to hold others up, just as I might get a little anxious when others hold me up.   I just deal with it, but it speaks to their inability to see things from the POV of others when they stand there with a glazed look the entire time the purchase is being rung up and then, after the cashier gives the total, start rummaging through their purse for the - whatever - checkbook, pen, wallet, money, cards, etc.

Then, on the back end of their check out they stand there putting all that stuff away again, get the sunglasses, adjust their hair, look through everything.

I've done the same exact thing when a store is busy - just toss it all in one of the bags and get out of the way.  When I get home and put the groceries away I can pull out the wallet and change, card, whatever, and get everything neat and tidy again.

I don't have a problem with somebody just putting their change or card away and all that.  It's the ones who don't have an inkling that there are also others on the planet and take their time doing unnecessary stuff.  

Even though I will always rush myself out of the way I don't expect everybody to do that.  I just have a very distinct perception of how my actions can affect those around me so I move on and let them have their turn.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Try writing a check for your purchase.  Best way to tick off every one in the store.

@Preds Not to be snarky, but I get ticked off on a daily basis on our aggressive interstates where I live  It's about time I ticked somebody off.  I always write a check at the grocery store.  If the person behind doesn't have three seconds in their life to wait her turn, then I feel very sorry for them.  They sure won't live long.  

Hahaha ... you aren't being snarky.  DH pays cash and puts his bills back in order and his coins in his pockets.  I tend to use my cc to avoid the carp, but I have been known to write a check when I have a PITA behind me.  Some people need to learn and I am willing to teach. LOL    

@Preds wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@Preds hahahahahaha OMGosh, I so love you.  You're a woman after my own heart, lol.  By the way, I read what's happening in July in the kitchen forum and I love the pictures and sayings you post.  Keep em coming!!!!  You're fabulous. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

It is clear that many of you seem to feel the person in front of you needs to get the heck out of  your way but when it is your turn you can take as much time as you need. Double standard.

Who said that?  I think many said people should move it along - including ourselves. 

Honored Contributor

I pay with a credit card so do not have to worry about putting my change back properly.

On the rare chance I paid with cash and received change, I move away from the register so the clerk can take care of the next customer.

Our stores scan items so they seldom spend much time entering numbers into the the register.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You stand in a line to check out and pay for whatever - in my case today it was a bottle of wine at the liquor store, you wait patiently while they fiddle around and input data to the computer etc and finally give you your change -- then they start trying to rush you out the door and move you out of their way so they can take the next customer before you have a chance to put your change back in your wallet! Geez - they can take as long as they please but you had better not try to take a brief moment to put your money away properly and your wallet back into your purse, because they will push you right down the counter.

@151949  I would assume you stepped aside to put away your change so that the next customer could wait for the cashier to "fiddle around and put data into the compter".

You know something?  My son just had temporary leads implanted in his lower spine today; if all goes well he will have surgery for an implant.  If I could trade his battling his chronic disease for a bit of a wait buying a bottle of wine, I would.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Men don't seem to care about these sorts

of things.  

Men don't know about these things.  LOL  Just get out of their way on the road.  They have to be somewhere soon.  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

You stand in a line to check out and pay for whatever - in my case today it was a bottle of wine at the liquor store, you wait patiently while they fiddle around and input data to the computer etc and finally give you your change -- then they start trying to rush you out the door and move you out of their way so they can take the next customer before you have a chance to put your change back in your wallet! Geez - they can take as long as they please but you had better not try to take a brief moment to put your money away properly and your wallet back into your purse, because they will push you right down the counter.

@151949  I would assume you stepped aside to put away your change so that the next customer could wait for the cashier to "fiddle around and put data into the compter".

You know something?  My son just had temporary leads implanted in his lower spine today; if all goes well he will have surgery for an implant.  If I could trade his battling his chronic disease for a bit of a wait buying a bottle of wine, I would.

OK I absolutely do not understand at all what your son having pain has to do with what we are discussing here!?!?  Hope his implant works - my BFF has this and it works very well for her. Much less meds needed.

Respected Contributor

I totally get what the o/p is saying (especially at the grocery store) and here's what I do:

I never crowd the person in front of me.  (You know how people will come right up behind you so they are practically attached to you while you are swiping your card, or getting your cash out?)

I keep a polite distance away, and wait until the person ahead of me is finished and has moved away before I move forward to the register to pay.

This is what I hope others would do for me, but 99% of the time, they don't.

In fact, when I move forward to put the bagged groceries in the cart, usually the person behind me comes right up to the register, so that I can't even stand there to swipe my card.  Then I have to ask them to please move back, I haven't paid yet.

I'm only in my late 40s.  I can remember a time even up to 10 years ago when people were more polite and not rushing each other.

I live in a small town and checkout is still very rushed in any of the stores, even when there's no one behind me!

I really have no patience for this.  I figure when it's your turn, it's your turn until you are completely finished.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero