Honored Contributor

A pet peeve - this drives me crazy

You stand in a line to check out and pay for whatever - in my case today it was a bottle of wine at the liquor store, you wait patiently while they fiddle around and input data to the computer etc and finally give you your change -- then they start trying to rush you out the door and move you out of their way so they can take the next customer before you have a chance to put your change back in your wallet! Geez - they can take as long as they please but you had better not try to take a brief moment to put your money away properly and your wallet back into your purse, because they will push you right down the counter.

Honored Contributor

Re: A pet peeve - this drives me crazy

I shall not be rushed!

And since I'm an old gray-haired grandma, they can sigh & fidget til the cows come home.

Those are the ones who will ring you up wrong, too.   In too much of a hurry.

@151949 wrote:

You stand in a line to check out and pay for whatever - in my case today it was a bottle of wine at the liquor store, you wait patiently while they fiddle around and input data to the computer etc and finally give you your change -- then they start trying to rush you out the door and move you out of their way so they can take the next customer before you have a chance to put your change back in your wallet! Geez - they can take as long as they please but you had better not try to take a brief moment to put your money away properly and your wallet back into your purse, because they will push you right down the counter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also, God help you if you want to take a moment to look in your wallet to see if you can give them correct change, before you just flip a $20 at them. I was looking to see if I had the right change and the guy said  that's 7.49 to me twice - for heaven's sake what did he think I was looking in my wallet for? Very irritating!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I totally understand your point, I find that if I need to put away change or whatever I just grab my stuff and move out of the way of the next customer.  

I figure it's probably not fair of me to hold up the next person.  

It can be equally frustrating when one is that 'next customer' and the previous customer is dinking around putting stuff away and doing whatever all (for sometimes way too long!) when I need to get on with my life as much as they do.  Smiley Happy

If I am deciding how to pay, I get the money/card/etc out before it's actually time to pay.  If I'm paying by cash I grab some coin too, so that I'm ready for whatever the damage is.

Honored Contributor

Yes, that bugs me too. But what REALLY bugs me is when the next person in line is standing right next to you, breathing down your neck as you are trying to check out. It's like they need a sign that says: "Please Wait Here Until..."Woman Mad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just thinking about this the other day, at least the first part of your peeve.  It takes so long to check out these days!  Between asking about your loyalty/guest membership status, and the questions on the little screen that need to be asked and answered, and the slow printing of the receipt and/or coupons, we really have taken a step backward in efficiency.  (Yes, Sears, I'm talking about you.)

Oh, and by the way, I always step away or slide down the counter to put away my card/cash.  Makes way for the next person.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Try writing a check for your purchase.  Best way to tick off every one in the store.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

My mom took forever to put her change away   Change went in one wallet, bills in another separated by paper clips.  I would get so irritated with her because she was holding up the whole line.   When I was with her, I took her change and moved off to the side so she could take as long as she needed to arrange her bills.   

Cashiers need to to keep the line moving...

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I was just thinking about this the other day, at least the first part of your peeve.  It takes so long to check out these days!  Between asking about your loyalty/guest membership status, and the questions on the little screen that need to be asked and answered, and the slow printing of the receipt and/or coupons, we really have taken a step backward in efficiency.  (Yes, Sears, I'm talking about you.)

Oh, and by the way, I always step away or slide down the counter to put away my card/cash.  Makes way for the next person.

There wasn't anywhere to move down the line to - this was not at a grocery store. But that is totally not the point - you deserve the respect as a customer to be given a brief moment to put your stuff away.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

My mom took forever to put her change away   Change went in one wallet, bills in another separated by paper clips.  I would get so irritated with her because she was holding up the whole line.   When I was with her, I took her change and moved off to the side so she could take as long as she needed to arrange her bills.   

Cashiers need to to keep the line moving...

That was very considerate to do.  ITA they do need to keep lines moving.  And especially when the lottery is a big jackpot, they really need to move things along.