Contributor

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Boy oh boy oh boy ....  so sorry to hear you've been challenged this way.  Sending you hugs and good thoughts.   Heart

Don't disappear on us ... your contributions are  meaningful.   

Respected Contributor

Re: A personal FYI

[ Edited ]

Add me to the list of recent(about a year now) poor spellers. Spell check has become a very good friend of mine. I just chalked it up to getting older. I'm in my mid 60's.  I may start taking memory supplements after researching them. See what people that have taken them say about it. Whether or not it helped them.  I do wish you the best in your journey to find an answer.  Take care.

Respected Contributor

to the op: I'm not asking this to be mean but...are going through or have you been through menopause?

I've always been a good speller but when I went through menopause, it was as though I completely forgot how to spell. I asked my therapist about it and she said it's not uncommon. (Long discussion of why but that's nor important now.)

Now I always have my dictionary and thesarus close by. (and I'm sure I mispelled several words in this post.) I hope this helps a little.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

to the op: I'm not asking this to be mean but...are going through or have you been through menopause?

I've always been a good speller but when I went through menopause, it was as though I completely forgot how to spell. I asked my therapist about it and she said it's not uncommon. (Long discussion of why but that's nor important now.)

Now I always have my dictionary and thesarus close by. (and I'm sure I mispelled several words in this post.) I hope this helps a little.

@GoneButNotForgotten, that's not a mean question. And no, it's far back in my rearview window. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 , I don't know your age, but in my case, it is called getting old, I have those same problems, and for many years I was an administrative assistant!  You are not alone my friend, sending good thoughts your way!

Honored Contributor

Seems to me that it's probably very common.

Then, also, I think about all of the younger future generations who might not ever have to learn how to spell, mainly because of automatic spell check, and electronics.

It's going to be a new, different world in years to come. Lots of different perspectives to think about.

So, don't feel bad, just feel glad.  You're probably in the 'very common' lane.  

Wishing you  and everyone well.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A personal FYI

[ Edited ]

SQ3-

I sometimes sound out simple words or spell words out aloud.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

SQ3-

I sometimes sounding out simple words or spelling words out aloud.

This is what I do, especially if it's spelled unexpectedly.

Like for Duquesne University, I'll say, du-ques-ne. As you know, it is pronounced doo-KAYN.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3, I am sorry to hear this and I wish you the best of luck at your doctor's appointment.  I can certainly understand how upsetting this can be for anyone, let alone someone with a degree in English Literature that has taught grammar.   And searching for a word instead of them just flowing off the tips of your fingers can also be frustrating.

It could be related to just getting older, but no matter the verdict, I would not ever think anything less of you if I saw misspellings in your posts.  We are all human and of course some have spell check that automatically think you are trying to type something you are not!  lol  

So post away, my friend.  The thought and content of what you are saying are important and what counts! Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *