Respected Contributor

Re: A personal FYI

[ Edited ]

suzyQ3 

You are a poster whose post I read and say to myself this woman does know her English and how to correctly say something. I have and will always continue to admire you.

For you to notice those problems you are concerned about tells me you are aware of who you are and one who will seek answers instead of just speculating. You do what you have to do and will get things attended to. I believe you are not a procrastinator.

I will share with you a secret, I would laugh at myself when on occasion I would say something and then you would post my post and tell me I had contradicted myself and you underlined where. Honestly, I never took it as as insult but sometimes it took me a long  while to understand what I had done. I thought what I said made sense but it did not because I used the wrong verbal correctly........I tell myself, hey, I am from Brooklyn and then I would hear my cousin telling me that is no excuse. She was an English teacher. So it has been very comfortable for me to laugh at myself and appreciate you!

Maybe this will give you some comfort and a smile. No matter if you think you can not write, or spell, or all those other things we do on a post, SuzyQ3, you will most certainly still do it better than Chiclets. 

Oops, you may not take that as a compliment.

Sincerely, I pray you will find your answers and feel better about yourself.

Keep posting because you are admired and you are a dear and wise friend to all.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

suzyQ3 

You are a poster whose post I look for and read and say to myself this woman does know her English and how to correctly say something. I have and will always continue to admire you.

For you to notice those problems you are concerned about tells me you are aware of who you are and one who will seek answers instead of just speculating. You do what you have to do and will get things attended to. I believe you are not a procrastinator.

I will share with you a secret, I would laugh at myself when on occasion I would say something and then you would post my post and tell me I had contradicted myself and you underlined where. Honestly, I never took it as as insult but sometimes it took me a long  while to understand what I had done. I thought what I said made sense but it did not because I used the wrong verbal correctly........I tell myself, hey, I am from Brooklyn and then I would hear my cousin telling me that is no excuse. She was an English teacher. So it has been very comfortable for me to laugh at myself and appreciate you!

Maybe this will give you some comfort and a smile. No matter if you think you can not write, or spell, or all those other things we do on a post, SuzyQ3, you will most certainly still do it better than Chiclets. 

Oops, you may not take that as a compliment.

Sincerely, I pray you will find your answers and feel better about yourself.

Keep posting because you are admired and you are a dear and wise friend to all.

@chiclets, thank goodness I just happened to come across this post of yours, although it did bring a tear or two. But they are good tears. Your words -- along with everyone else's words -- touch me deeply.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Even when I do spell things correctly, Siri has her own ideas sometimes and will autocorrect, which drives me crazy! I taught for many years and incorrect grammar and spelling has always jumped out at me...nowadays, when I see misspelled word or grammar used incorrectly, I shrug it off. I usually assume autocorrect has kicked in. Many programs like that are developed by people who didn’t/ don’t speak English as their first language, and it shows sometimes, Syntax can be a real challenge for them. It’s weird how a word I have spelled all my life can suddenly look strange or wrong after I write it. Usually when I write it by hand and not typing it. I hope you feel reassured after speaking with your doctor.
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Do not sweat the small stuff, and really is all, small stuff.  Read that in that book.  Do what you can, we'll make it out, or ask, and you can respond to the best of your ability.  

Ok, we got it.  Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain what bothers you on that.  Understood.  It's OK.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@suzyQ3 @Have you heard of agraphia?https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiF37Cu-ojsAhVHA6wKHV7rDEQQ...

@Mindy D, thanks so much for that reference. I will finishing reading it later. Up till now, all I'vs is info on mini strokes.

My appt has changed to 10/3 and will be a video session instead of a phone visit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 There is an app for that! There is an ipad/iphone (ios)  and android app to help older adults with writing and word finding issues. Created by a speech pathologist.

The company is Tactus Therapy. Here is a link to the app I thought might help: https://tactustherapy.com/app/writing/  There is a free trial.

I hope the link will not be deleted since this is such an important topic, but if it is, you can search on tactustherapy dot com. The price is not absurdly expensive, just mid $20s.

It also occurred to me that an adaptive technology you could use is to have your typing read back to you. Text to speech. It's a function on most phones and many writing apps. That might help you proofread your writing more easily.

I know that personally when I really need to remember something, saying it out loud helps me retain it. So maybe hearing the word would allow you to use a different part of your brain to assist?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@suzyQ3 @Have you heard of agraphia?https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiF37Cu-ojsAhVHA6wKHV7rDEQQ...

@Mindy D, thanks so much for that reference. I will finishing reading it later. Up till now, all I'vs is info on mini strokes.

My appt has changed to 10/3 and will be a video session instead of a phone visit.

@Mindy D, I have read it. I did find a similar source that is much easier to read.

One of the problems listed sounds very much like what I'm encountering. My first step will be push for a neurological exam. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 There is an app for that! There is an ipad/iphone (ios)  and android app to help older adults with writing and word finding issues. Created by a speech pathologist.

The company is Tactus Therapy. Here is a link to the app I thought might help: https://tactustherapy.com/app/writing/  There is a free trial.

I hope the link will not be deleted since this is such an important topic, but if it is, you can search on tactustherapy dot com. The price is not absurdly expensive, just mid $20s.

It also occurred to me that an adaptive technology you could use is to have your typing read back to you. Text to speech. It's a function on most phones and many writing apps. That might help you proofread your writing more easily.

I know that personally when I really need to remember something, saying it out loud helps me retain it. So maybe hearing the word would allow you to use a different part of your brain to assist?

Thanks so much, @Porcelain Heart

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3   So sorry to hear this.  Praying that it's not as bad as you fear - that it's something than can be treated and resolved.