Honored Contributor

I hope your doctor can get to what the problem is ,and  find a answer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@conlt 

You are a strong brave person!  You were handed a bunch of issues and have done so much in spite of them.  Congratulations!

In reading your posts, I’ve always thought you had a health care background 👋 (me too),particularly challenging given your issue with numbers.

I am sorry that you have had difficulty here.  Please remember who you are, what you’ve accomplished, and look right over the snark.  Hope you will continue to post.

Best Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 , it's probably an age thing although I don't know how old you are.  I'm 73.  There are times that I later run across a post of mine and wonder where my grammar school knowledge went.  Sometimes it's spell check that messed up but other times, it's me.  I know darn well that disfunction is not a word, but I wrote it one day.  It's dysfunction and days later, it jumps off the page at me as incorrect.

Don't stress out about it.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

My heart is with you @suzyQ3 , you wouldn't write about this here if it wasn't weighing heavily on you and that posters might have noticed.  You are such a caring person, here you are wanting to explain what even you are uncertain of, always helping posters understand.  You are a delight of a wordsmith just as you come.

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I also struggle with spelling. I have my entire life and freeze-up when someone asks me how to spell something. When writing, I ask Siri how to spell words that I am unsure of. I also find the default font on these boards difficult to read. 

When I was a child, my first grade teacher figured out that I was not able to read. My grandmother, who was a retired English teacher, taught me how to read. My dad also helped. I have always felt weak in my writing skills. That being said, I managed to get a Masters Degree in Nursing and  a Masters Degree in Business. I am not a dummy, but nurses and doctors do not chart in full sentences. Of course for my degrees I had to write papers, and I did so very carefully. 

I sometimes superimpose numbers, for instance I go to write 13 and instead write 31 or change them in my head when using a calculator. I have to be very careful about this. 

Once, I posted on these boards during a difficult time in my life when my mother was really sick and almost to the end of her life. Another poster on these boards ridiculed my post because of the grammar that I used and the lack of paragraphs. I felt really hurt and down. Others who say cruel things may not understand that they may be deeply offending someone or that the person may have a deficit or they don't care.  Others on the board defended me and responded to him or her, but the post did make me feel self conscious. 

((((@conlt))))

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Dear one, because you mentioned this is new or somewhat sudden, I worry about it being a small stroke or TIA. If you can get a sooner appointment in person, this would be good so the doctor can test your neurological reflexes. I will say that I had heart surgery and came out of it with aphasia, word recall is shot, and not being able to desire food, so cooking has died at my house. I can't imagine or taste food the same, like planning a meal is difficult. Hard to explain. I send you prayers and good wishes. Big cyber hugs.

Honored Contributor

@Growing wrote:

Dear one, because you mentioned this is new or somewhat sudden, I worry about it being a small stroke or TIA. If you can get a sooner appointment in person, this would be good so the doctor can test your neurological reflexes. I will say that I had heart surgery and came out of it with aphasia, word recall is shot, and not being able to desire food, so cooking has died at my house. I can't imagine or taste food the same, like planning a meal is difficult. Hard to explain. I send you prayers and good wishes. Big cyber hugs.

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties, @Growing 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Re: A personal FYI

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 

Thank you for your heartfelt post.  Count me in as someone who has enjoyed your posts.

I, too, have noticed a decline in my spelling.  I was just talking about this with my husband about a week ago.

I have also noticed word retrieval difficulty is worse these days.

Ultimately, the words (or names) will come, but not immediately.

Sometimes I think this isolation from the pandemic has increased these issues.  My connection with people has narrowed, although my husband and I are talkers with each other. 

Like many others have said, I think the aging process is part of this issue.  

Keep us posted, and I think seeing your doctor is a wise decision.

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt   Like you, I've also caught a lot of flack on here for transposing such things as my height (i.e. wrote 7'5" instead of  5'7"). Who in their right mind would believe that was anything but a typo??  It was during the last few months of my mom's life and I didn't speak up. Too floored at the cruelty and constant badgering of others. I've tried to speak up, but not a fan of conflict so would rather ignore those rude people. I simply read these blogs while doing laundry or listening to music. I no longer read many of the posts, just skim through and read a few if something looks interesting and/or  educational.

I'm completely out of the gossip mill and that's just fine with me!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A personal FYI

[ Edited ]

I too am suddenly finding I hesitate periodically while typing because the spelling of a word isn't coming to me.  While typing I never had to think about the spelling and I am going to chalk it up to stress.  suzyQ3 it might very well be the reason why this is happening to you.

I think it was a  good idea for you to make that appointment with your doctor.  It will ease your mind and please let us know how it goes.  Wishing the best of everything for you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam