Esteemed Contributor

A murder in my quiet neighborhood!

I live in a over 55 community.  Currently we have about 200 homes.  One of our residents is a single woman whose 82 year old mother lives with her.  The mother has a care giver who has been there during the day for about a year since the daughter still works full time.  Last Friday night the daughter attended a work related social event.  When she got home the caregiver said her mother was already asleep.  Saturday morning when the daughter got up and went to check on her mother the bedroom door was locked.  She got the key and opened the door and her mother was not there.  After checking the house she called the police.  The mother used a walker and was severely restricted in her mobility so the chances of her just wandering off were slim.  We live in a heavily wooded area surrounding a state fishing lake.  All day Saturday and Sunday our quiet community was flooded with search parties on foot, horseback and ATV's.  Police boats were out on the lake.  Monday no one was out searching and the police announced that the focus of the search had shifted.  Yesterday morning the police announced that they had found remains believed to be the mother's in a area about 50 miles away and had arrested the caregiver on a charge of first degree murder.  Today the local paper carried a story that the body had been dismembered and the remains tossed in a wooded area. This is so horrible.  To have lived some 85 years and to die in that manner is too sad to even think about.

Honored Contributor

Re: A murder in my quiet neighborhood!

How horrific!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

On my goodness, that's so scary.  To think someone called a "caregiver" would do such a horrendous thing is beyond comprehension.  

Esteemed Contributor

What a horrible thing to have happened.

Esteemed Contributor

That is a horrendous event. Finding reliable caregivers for the elderly is a monumental task. I have gone through this with my mother. I won't go into details about Mom's caregivers but this story is beyond chilling.

Esteemed Contributor

Horrible.  Wondering what the motive was.  Or was it some sort of accident and the caregiver got scared and made it all disappear.  I guess I watch too many murder mysteries.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu, I wonder about the motive too.  That, and the caregiver being cool as a cucumber when the daughter came home.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

That is very disturbing, did they steal money,or objects,i would be getting a security system installed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

If it were me, whether or not the caregiver said Mom was sleeping when I got home,  I would have opened the bedroom door to peek in just to check on her...

QVC Customer Care