Esteemed Contributor

Re: A murder in my quiet neighborhood!

@bri20 wrote:

That is just horrible.

The daughter didn't check on her mother when she came home Friday night, only Saturday morning?

Evidently the daughter did attempt to check on her mother when she came in and the bedroom door was locked.  It was not uncommon for her mother to lock her bedroom door when she was sleeping and did not want to be disturbed so the daughter was not suprised by that and did  not worry until the,following morning.

the remains were found near Romney WVA but the victim lived near Stephens City, Va

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

That is just horrible.

The daughter didn't check on her mother when she came home Friday night, only Saturday morning?

Evidently the daughter did attempt to check on her mother when she came in and the bedroom door was locked.  It was not uncommon for her mother to lock her bedroom door when she was sleeping and did not want to be disturbed so the daughter was not suprised by that and did  not worry until the,following morning.

the remains were found near Romney WVA but the victim lived near Stephens City, Va

That makes sense, @KathyPet.

If the door was locked, the daughter wouldn't have been alarmed.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I live in a over 55 community.  Currently we have about 200 homes.  One of our residents is a single woman whose 82 year old mother lives with her.  The mother has a care giver who has been there during the day for about a year since the daughter still works full time.  Last Friday night the daughter attended a work related social event.  When she got home the caregiver said her mother was already asleep.  Saturday morning when the daughter got up and went to check on her mother the bedroom door was locked.  She got the key and opened the door and her mother was not there.  After checking the house she called the police.  The mother used a walker and was severely restricted in her mobility so the chances of her just wandering off were slim.  We live in a heavily wooded area surrounding a state fishing lake.  All day Saturday and Sunday our quiet community was flooded with search parties on foot, horseback and ATV's.  Police boats were out on the lake.  Monday no one was out searching and the police announced that the focus of the search had shifted.  Yesterday morning the police announced that they had found remains believed to be the mother's in a area about 50 miles away and had arrested the caregiver on a charge of first degree murder.  Today the local paper carried a story that the body had been dismembered and the remains tossed in a wooded area. This is so horrible.  To have lived some 85 years and to die in that manner is too sad to even think about.

This is awful and sounds like some program that could be on an investigative journalism program.  This is scarey.  There are crazy people among us.  Did the caregiver try to rob her?  What was the motive for the murder, just because?  Sick...

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Years and years ago, an agency suggested to our friends that it's a good idea to alternate even good caregivers.  And that sometimes (not always, of course), human nature-wise, they  perhaps could become possessive and/or controlling when they are in one home for too long.  I always remember that suggestion and have kept it in mind.  (Underline 'sometimes' and 'perhaps could'. And my guess is that they might have been having problems with a particular caregiver.)

Wouldn't the daughter know of problems with the caregiver?  I think so.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

This was likely elder abuse the got out of hand.  The most vulnerable among us are always targets for one thing or another.  This is a shame.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's useful to speculate what caused this.  We just don't know. Hopefully the peson who committed this crime will give a motive for it. Until then....we just don't know what happened. Why surmise?

Esteemed Contributor

Just considering the # 1 reasons why someone would do this to an elderly person.  Also, the stats on elder abuse in our country.  That's why I'm surmising.  Of course, I could be wrong.  Humans (me) try to make sense out of tragedy.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Just considering the # 1 reasons why someone would do this to an elderly person.  Also, the stats on elder abuse in our country.  That's why I'm surmising.  Of course, I could be wrong.  Humans (me) try to make sense out of tragedy.

@itiswhatitis  As do I try to make sense out of tragedy, but I'm willing to be patient and wait for the true answer, rather than speculate based on "stats" which can be quite manipulated anyway.  I just don't see speculation as constructive - that's my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@itiswhatitis  As do I try to make sense out of tragedy, but I'm willing to be patient and wait for the true answer, rather than speculate based on "stats" which can be quite manipulated anyway.  I just don't see speculation as constructive - that's my opinion.

I understand and respect that Pearley.  But, I don't think I'm different than anyone else when discussing matters like this.  My speculation in no way should be construed as "the truth."  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Itiswhatitis:  I meant our friends, not the daughter in this thread.  I'll have to edit.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).