Honored Contributor

Somebody has to die in order for another person to potentially live; no transplant comes with a guarantee.

Sometimes I think the donor's survivors are forgotten.Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

What would you say if it were your husband?  Tell them no?

Honored Contributor

@151949

Since I do not know the process for how an organ transplant decision is made, I can only comment on myself. Should I ever be in that position, those closest to me know my desires. I would never want those closest to me to go through that type pain because of my mental disorder, much less receive and organ to prolong it.

I watched my youngest sister go through this during the last year of her life while battling liver cancer. It is heartbreaking to a family member to see a sibling that is only the same in body, with little to no memory of the past or present.

My oldest sister's husband suffered from Alzheimer's Disease the last 5 years of his life. He lived 18 years after being diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer, with the last close to 13 years suffering from Altzheimer's. They had been married since she was 17 years old, over 62 years when he died.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Aside from coming up the list, the donation also has to be a match.  So, if you're at the top of the list and a given donation is not a match for you, they would have to move down the list to the first one for whom the donation is a match.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

What would you say if it were your husband?  Tell them no?

It is always the recipients choice to be placed on the list or not, There are many reason why a person may not want to have the surgery.  It would be a personal choice.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

When my 28 year old daughter needed a liver transplant she was low on the list.  However, at the same time, it was reported on the news where an inmate in prison serving a life sentence had received a liver transplant.  My daughter didn't make it.  Even though you are placed high on the list, doesn't mean a liver is miraculously going to become available.  Don't forget, someone else has to die and then be a donor.  

@Juniper2I am very sorry, we tried to donate my 27 yr old sons organs ,because he wanted that , but they could not use any of them, we hoped they could use his eyes ,but never heard if they did, he suffered a embolus after a leg amputation ,and was on life support,i know the hurt a parent has.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Juniper2 wrote:

When my 28 year old daughter needed a liver transplant she was low on the list.  However, at the same time, it was reported on the news where an inmate in prison serving a life sentence had received a liver transplant.  My daughter didn't make it.  Even though you are placed high on the list, doesn't mean a liver is miraculously going to become available.  Don't forget, someone else has to die and then be a donor.  

@Juniper2I am very sorry, we tried to donate my 27 yr old sons organs ,because he wanted that , but they could not use any of them, we hoped they could use his eyes ,but never heard if they did, he suffered a embolus after a leg amputation ,and was on life support,i know the hurt a parent has.

@goldensrbest  I'm so sorry for you, too.  Nothing compares to the loss of a child.  Been there, different circumstances, but I understand.

@{{{hugs}}} to you and @Juniper2.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

To all parents who have lost a child, I am so sorry for your loss.

I have no children, so I cannot even begin to imagine the pain of loosing a child, but my heart breaks for those do do know the pain.

Respected Contributor

I am sorry for all who have suffered the loss of a child.

As for transplant protocol, I would not want to be the one that decides who gets an organ and who does not.

Rather than wait, wealthy people sometimes go overseas and buy needed organs.

If my loved one needed an organ, I'd do everything in my power to help secure one.  Early stage dementia, which is what David Cassidy has, would not be a deterrent.  Alcoholism and drug abuse would be.

Honored Contributor

Re: A moral dilemma

[ Edited ]

Sometimes organs can be given by living donors - kidneys, partial livers etc. 

In the case of David Cassidy - he is an admitted drug addict who most likely destyroyed his organs doing drugs.New organs are given to drug addicts and alcoholics all the time. That was not the point of this thread.