Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@esmerelda he didn't do anything wrong. They just decided to make him get restested because of his age. It happens a lot here. It is just a routine practice here..

I understand you and your husband championing this man.  But, since you are elderly, and the guy driving  is very elderly, mabe leave this  particular struggle to people in their 60's.

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@cherry   In reading some of the, dare I say,  not so nice posts here, know wonder many think twice or not at all about beginning a thread.  Seems no matter what the thread is about, someone will always find fault with it!

@ciao_bella It’s called discussion.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

It wasn't a struggle for us. It was a honor to help a good man. I am pleased for him ,and so were the other neighbors who helped him..He is greatly loved and respected by all of us

We are hardly in our dotage. We are doing just fine. Nothing will take the joy I feel for him away.  

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

@cherry   In reading some of the, dare I say,  not so nice posts here, know wonder many think twice or not at all about beginning a thread.  Seems no matter what the thread is about, someone will always find fault with it!

Not necessarily!  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

The meaning of the word discussion is different for everyone I guess. For me it is of course, each stating their opinion or what they think. Now.... It can be stated in many ways...different but still respectful, factual and NICELY.  Then....they can also be rude, nasty and disrespectful. No point in being rude unless that is the way your are as a person.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Not necessarily!  

More often than not, those that defend their negative and interrogative comments as 'discussion' are merely sugar coating their way of disrupting a positive thread.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

The meaning of the word discussion is different for everyone I guess. For me it is of course, each stating their opinion or what they think. Now.... It can be stated in many ways...different but still respectful, factual and NICELY.  Then....they can also be rude, nasty and disrespectful. No point in being rude unless that is the way your are as a person.

Agreed! 

It's not always what is said but how it's said or how it comes across.

Honored Contributor

@cherryThanks for the update.  There's a saying, "What goes around...comes around".  I used to hear that growing up.

I've seen it time and time again.  I used to tell my daughters, "You don't have to wish bad things to happen to someone who did someone wrong.  Life has a way of teaching all of us, if we don't 'do' right by other's it will come back and bite us on the butt".

Those ladies will get what's coming to them (good or bad).  On the other side, we've all seen where good things have happened to good people....

It works both ways.  This is just my opinion, but I know first hand it does happen.

Just by having you and your husband to help him proves my point.  See, we don't have to look far to see the obvious.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It wasn't a struggle for us. It was a honor to help a good man. I am pleased for him ,and so were the other neighbors who helped him..He is greatly loved and respected by all of us

We are hardly in our dotage. We are doing just fine. Nothing will take the joy I feel for him away.  

It is always an honor to be able to help our fellow man.

Just know that some here are stating that all actions have consequences. Good ones, bad ones, unintended and unforeseen ones at times too.

People can be honorable, and truthful, and kind and worthy of our assistance. It doesn't always mean it is the smartest thing we can do, or that we shouldn't consider the circumstances and maybe err on the side of caution.

I know you feel proud and happy for what you have done. But I'm disturbed that he felt unable to drive himself back from the testing, and he only drives in areas he is familiar with. 

It tells me he is aware of his limitations and comfort zone, and at this point takes precautions to regulate his driving. Many people of all ages do that, and it is a good thing. 

But it doesn't mean he will continue to do so, or that he is as physically or mentally equipped to drive as he really should be. It only means that on this particular day, he could do what he needed to pass the tests. 

I hope all goes well and he knows when to give up his driving, and that in the mean time, should something happen where he is at fault, living with the fact that you assisted in putting him back on the road isn't a struggle for you but still an honor to have done it.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Not necessarily!  

More often than not, those that defend their negative and interrogative comments as 'discussion' are merely sugar coating their way of disrupting a positive thread.

Why would anyone think a thread with a topic about a very advanced age driver and it's safety factor need to be all rainbows and unicorns and sunshine and smiles?

It is a serious topic. It can deal with the lives of others being impacted. Any thinking adult would be open to the idea that there might be two sides to this topic.