Honored Contributor

What a happy story, many more are needed.  Good for the gentleman.

Respected Contributor

@cherry  Such a nice story to read!  

Parking lots, especially at grocery stores, can be dangerous places.  It's very hard to back out, even with rear view cameras, and not see people from all angles as they're walking, pushing carts or not watching their children running all around.  

At one time, I would drive in a lot and try to find a spot close to the store.  No more!  I've found the farther you park, the less problems you have and it's healthier!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

I think Mr. Cherry is very old.  This guy must be ANCIENT.

Esteemed Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@stuyvesant  What IS your point??  If you can't say something kind about this thread, why bother to comment at all? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Your neighbor should have pushed it. The police can figure out who hit who, they do it all the time, I think it's called accident reconstruction.

I think in many places, if the accident is in a parking lot, the police will not respond unless there is injury to someone. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Your neighbor should have pushed it. The police can figure out who hit who, they do it all the time, I think it's called accident reconstruction.

Here in Pennsylvania, a parking lot is considered private property and the police don 't  get involved unless there are injuries or a vehicle is unable to be driven. They will not reconstruct an accident in a parking lot for a minor bump. It's probably the same just about everywhere.

i am surprised he lost his license over this.  

Maybe the police officer sent in a request for him to be tested because of his age and a fender bender...that is pretty common and quite likely.

Unfortunately, at his age many, many people do not have reflexes fast enough to react quickly in an emergency.  They can drive just fine as long as there are no unexpected situations.

i hope and pray this man is safe on the roads.  

AT the risk of being called out, I have to say that I highly suspect this man is not going to be very safe on the road at this age. 

Just because he can pass a test on any one given day, doesn't mean he is always capable of having the reflexes and quick thinking to handle what may occur unexpectedly in traffic situations. 

Yes, I realize that there are many people much younger than him that shouldn't be on the road, but I know from my mom's experience, helping a 90 year old neighbor lady go and get her license renewed back in the day, that while she was just trying to do a nice thing, the woman shouldn't have been on the road. My mom wasn't really aware of how bad her driving was, until after she helped her, and the other neighbors confronted my mom about it. 

She then knew if anything happened to anyone with this lady driving, she would feel guilty as she had aided her in the process. 

Sometimes I think we are better to stay out of things like this, let family handle it. It would be too much of a burden to me, to aid someone in this particular type of circumstance, then live with the guilt if they caused an accident because they really shouldn't be driving. 

Disclaimer. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule and this man may indeed be one of them. There are many people near 90, that I'm sure are more capable than some people half his age. I simply wouldn't want to be a part of the process in aiding it, on the chance he wasn't one of them.

Honored Contributor

Re: A happy day

[ Edited ]

He doesn't have any family. We are the closest thing to family he has. He was thoroughly vetted by his Dr, as part of this process. His Dr pronounced him fit

I worry far more about drunk and drugged people driving, people who carry guns just in case ,someone ticks them off, they feel free to shoot at them, people who text ,and drive , people who are holding on to a cell phone when they drive, with one hand, and people who decide they don't need to obey traffic laws, none of which are my neighbor

We are all happy to be of help to this man, and would do it again in a heartbeat

Trusted Contributor

Re: A happy day

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@stuyvesant  What IS your point??  If you can't say something kind about this thread, why bother to comment at all? 

Just make the narrative believabe.

And by the way - the person who started this thread is now opining that this ancient guy isn't bothering her.  She's worried about youthful people who do drugs and stuff. 

Honored Contributor

I posted his age on the first page,,so there is nothing unbelievable about any of it..My husband is 75, and hale and hearty, I am 71. I have never been secretive about anyones age

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Coquille and all. I wish you could know my neighbor. He is such a wonderful person. He is kind and generous to everyone. When you ask him how he is, he always says I am blessed

He might be blessed but he is also a blessing to everyone  he meets

Sometimes good things do happen to someone, and he deserved to get his license back..He wanted to repay Mr Cherry but he told him to  take his gal pal out for lunch

He was so happy to be able to drive her to the Dr to get stiches removed from her hand, after surgery.  He is so happy to be out and about once more, and we are happy for him

He was never a threat to anyone, unlike the woman who hit him, and lied about it. I won't leave her to her conscience, because she doesn't have one, but, I will trust that  sometime, the truth will come out. I just hope she doesn't kill someone in the process, with her terrible driving

@cherry Do you know either of the women involved that you can so confidently call them liars?  

I hope you’ll be as eager to report when your kindly neighbor has another “fender bender” or other motor vehicle infraction.  And don’t forget...most vehicle accidents happen close to home. 

Years ago I was involved in a parking lot accident. Cop was called, no ticket was given, yet an insurance claim was made and paid. Maybe it varies from state to state. In what state do you reside?

Keepin' it real.