Valued Contributor

Re: A good idea for vaccinating many seniors.

@Mindy D wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

First, there are only a limited number of Publix locations in the state that will be offering the vaccinations. Unfortunately none by me. I have been trying for days to register for an appointment in Broward County to no avail. Nothing available. At the rate we're going, it will take 1-2 years to get people vaccinated. Government needs to step it up.

@Xivambala 1-888-499-0840 to call for one of next week's appointment times at Hardrock Stadium if you are 65+ or are a medical worker. It doesn't matter if you live in Broward. Dade will accept you.Patients won't have to leave their cars. After getting the vaccine, you'll pull over into a designated spot in the parking lot and wait for 15 minutes to make sure there are no side effects or call
1-800-581-5123
. The vaccine given is Moderna's, which requires two shots, one month apart. The vaccine will not give you COVID-19.
Florida does not have a statewide residency requirement to get the COVID-19 vaccine. This means if you live in Broward, you can get the vaccine in Miami-Dade or vice versa. Snowbirds can get it too.
The state is asking everyone who schedules a vaccine appointment at the site to bring a government-issued ID, like a driver's license, and health insurance information. Anyone with or without insurance can get the vaccine and you will not be charged for it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Once you get your first shot, workers will schedule your next appointment and will give you a vaccination card. You must bring that card with you for the second shot. You will also be asked to pull your car off to the side and wait for 15 minutes to make sure you do not get any immediate reactions to the vaccine, per CDC recommendation.
Hard Rock Stadium will now give COVID-19 vaccines. Will it still offer testing?

Good Luck

To try to schedule, call 1-888-499-0840. Only frontline healthcare workers and residents ages 65 and over currently qualify, and walk-ins will not be accepted.

Once arriving at the site, individuals will be directed to a separate lane to receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Once an individual is in the appropriate lane, they will provide contact information so the state can work with them on arranging a time to receive their second dose.

All individuals are encouraged to bring a government-issued form of identification and health insurance information to the site.

The government-issued ID does not need to be a Florida Driver’s License.

@Mindy D ==>  I've considered Hardrock Stadium. It's relatively close to me. What concerns me is the recent reports of the awful traffic near the entrance and the long lines of cars when you're there...of course then there's having to do that twice. Just may be too much for me. I saw Gov. DeSantis' press conference earlier today. I am hoping there will be better news this coming week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We need help from the federal government. Or I should say, the states need that help sooner than later. Apparently, they cannot, for various reasons, handle this alone.

A national disaster of such proportions calls for a coordinated response.

To add, whenever we have a national disaster, are the states involved told that  they're on their own? I seem to recall that that is never the case.

Which States have asked for help?

@CrazyDaisy, I have no idea. Maybe many have. But why should they have to ask? It's obvious that the process needs help. Or do is it going swimmingly everywhere?

Again, disaster=federal help and coordination. Why have a federal government otherwise?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It really is a patchwork. You have to find out whether in your area it's your state health department or your county health department doing the vaccinations and then the individual procedures they require. It's completely unreasonable to roll this out like this. Way too much to expect of some of those tiny county health departments to do it this fast.

And so hard for those seniors who are not comfortable researching online to know what to do. There should be a national or at least regional standard, a regional or national hotline, and a regional or national program for this. And ubiquitous public service announcements so everyone knows what is going on and how to find out where to go and when.

The information should be offered to everyone. We should not have to hunt it down or hope it shows up on the news. That is, if we want to safely vaccinate every willing person.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Hard Rock Stadium, in Florida,  is taking registration for vaccination appointments of 1000 persons, 65+, per day. You wait your turn in your car. This is a good idea. You can sit comfortably and you do not have to be in contact with other people waiting their turn. 

Other sites will be opening up. I really like this idea. You call ahead and preregister by phone or online. Once vaccinated you are given a time for your follow-up shot. 

Finally, some sensible  thinking. 

People will still be waiting for hours, though, even with registration, mainly because people without appointments get in the auto line and hold up the process.

@Mindy D 

Hopefully, they will get their gas tank filled before getting in any automobile lines ... and hit the bathroom before going out the door.

I think our country accepting a vaccination (Pfizer?) that requires TWO shots was a very big mistake.  Twice the effort and twice as long to get everyone vaccinated.   IMO, very inefficient.  

Other drug companies have produced a vaccine that requires only one shot ... Pfizer should have been sent back to the drawing board.  Actually, they should have done that on their own.    JMO

In reference to the two vs one shot idea, the jury is still out on that one. 

I think that it will be a year or two before we can really know if one is better than the other in the long term. There are a number of reasons why each has it's advantages, but the biggest one in my mind is that by splitting it into two, might make it easier to tolerate, and more effective for the long haul. 

It will be interesting to see over the course of the next couple of years, which vaccines were most effective, which were better tolerated etc. 

Another one of those 'only time will tell' things!

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

@Zaimee  I heard also that people from New York and Canada are coming to Florida for shots. 7% to 8% outsiders mentioned. Florida Seniors are not a priority as no one who qualifies in age can be refused.

Seeing people with blankets and pillows in their cars waiting in Florida.  Then sites crashing to even try and make an appointment as you mentioned. My small town is going to vaccinate EMS and Nursing Home residents this week. It will be awhile for 65 and up in  N. Wisconsin.

If that's true, it's BS, people should have to show a valid photo ID with an address on it before being given the vaccine.  If not, go home.

Honored Contributor

I'm in NY. They started giving the vaccine to 1A recipients this past week in my County.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Gorgf wrote:

@Zaimee  I heard also that people from New York and Canada are coming to Florida for shots. 7% to 8% outsiders mentioned. Florida Seniors are not a priority as no one who qualifies in age can be refused.

Seeing people with blankets and pillows in their cars waiting in Florida.  Then sites crashing to even try and make an appointment as you mentioned. My small town is going to vaccinate EMS and Nursing Home residents this week. It will be awhile for 65 and up in  N. Wisconsin.

If that's true, it's BS, people should have to show a valid photo ID with an address on it before being given the vaccine.  If not, go home.

@CelticCrafter 

In Florida, it is legal for anyone from anywhere to get the vaccine. The powers that be made it so. So it is perfectly fine for people age 65 and up from other states to come to Florida for a vaccine. In fact, I’d say the state leaders encourage it. Gotta get those tourist dollars... 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 I just think it's so wrong, but I have a conscience and wouldn't even think of crossing the bridge to go over into the next state if they were giving it to anyone from any place.

Honored Contributor

My area of WV has had 2 drive thru clinics for seniors 80 and over to get the vaccine. The first clinic only had 100 doses and 3-4x that many seniors showed up, some were there at 5 a.m. when the clinic didn't start until 9 a.m. Due to the location of this clinic, and no assistance from law enforcement, a traffic nightmare was created. Once shots were given, those people couldn't even get out of the lot to the highway to go home. A lot was learned that day!

Second clinic was held a few days later, different off the main highway location, with far more seniors able to get the vaccine in a more organized manner.

I am happy WV seniors are getting the vaccine, but it's January, and bitter cold here in WV. There is NO way I will put my 86 year old mother in the car and wait hours in a line of traffic for her to get a Covid vaccination. Unless she is truly sick, our doctor told us not to schedule her routine appts during winter months; she gets a flu shot in October and is usually good until April.

Everyone in my family will take the shot, but I will not be in a drive thru line in 20 degree weather to get one!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The problem is on the local level so if you have a problem you need to bring it up with them, geez louise!  Not hard to figure out.  So many incompetent people on the local level and in many cases purposely doing so for whatever their sordid reason.  In my area, stadiums will be used. 

Also, Dr Fauci has stated recently that if only 20% of the population got vaccinated it would greatly reduce the infection rate.  I will continue to wear a mask and hope others do the same until this horrible thing is sufficiently eradicated.  Superspreader events doesn't make it easy that's for sure.  Woman Sad