Honored Contributor

Re: A good idea for vaccinating many seniors.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am not one of those patient people who would wait 5 hours for a shot.  And then again for a second shot.   If this is what is in store...I will not be getting a shot for quite  a while .

Your point is well taken. 'They' clearly want as many people as possible to get these shots so let's see just how cumbersome, complicated, time consuming and confusing they can make it...  I am continually astounded that in this modern era the best and the brightest consistently seem to come up with the mediocre and the dim...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

Some places here in Georgia are doing this also.  What concerns me is I'm hearing you need to be watched for at least 15 minutes in case you are allergic to the vaccine.  My oldest DD is extremely allergic to inscent bites or stings so she couldn't do the drive thru.

She has been told her son may also be allergic to bee stings so he can't do it that way either. What if you don't know about problems?

@grandma2pkmh @They have you pull to the side near the medical personnel right after the vaccination. There are trained medical staff on hand. I have not checked, but I am assuming, since you are waiting for twenty minutes to see if you have a bad reaction, that the medical staff have epipens available to help begin the treatment for severe allergic reactions. Your DD should call her primary care's office for advice. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Xivambala wrote:

First, there are only a limited number of Publix locations in the state that will be offering the vaccinations. Unfortunately none by me. I have been trying for days to register for an appointment in Broward County to no avail. Nothing available. At the rate we're going, it will take 1-2 years to get people vaccinated. Government needs to step it up.

@Xivambala 1-888-499-0840 to call for one of next week's appointment times at Hardrock Stadium if you are 65+ or are a medical worker. It doesn't matter if you live in Broward. Dade will accept you.Patients won't have to leave their cars. After getting the vaccine, you'll pull over into a designated spot in the parking lot and wait for 15 minutes to make sure there are no side effects or call
1-800-581-5123
. The vaccine given is Moderna's, which requires two shots, one month apart. The vaccine will not give you COVID-19.
Florida does not have a statewide residency requirement to get the COVID-19 vaccine. This means if you live in Broward, you can get the vaccine in Miami-Dade or vice versa. Snowbirds can get it too.
The state is asking everyone who schedules a vaccine appointment at the site to bring a government-issued ID, like a driver's license, and health insurance information. Anyone with or without insurance can get the vaccine and you will not be charged for it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Once you get your first shot, workers will schedule your next appointment and will give you a vaccination card. You must bring that card with you for the second shot. You will also be asked to pull your car off to the side and wait for 15 minutes to make sure you do not get any immediate reactions to the vaccine, per CDC recommendation.
Hard Rock Stadium will now give COVID-19 vaccines. Will it still offer testing?

Good Luck

To try to schedule, call 1-888-499-0840. Only frontline healthcare workers and residents ages 65 and over currently qualify, and walk-ins will not be accepted.

Once arriving at the site, individuals will be directed to a separate lane to receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Once an individual is in the appropriate lane, they will provide contact information so the state can work with them on arranging a time to receive their second dose.

All individuals are encouraged to bring a government-issued form of identification and health insurance information to the site.

The government-issued ID does not need to be a Florida Driver’s License.

Esteemed Contributor

In VA they are still giving vaccines only to hospital workers, staff, etc group 1A. I'm 78 and 75 and older is in group 1b along with essential workers (teachers, grocery checkers, bus drivers, mail carriers, etc) 

News tonight said Natl guard will be helping when it's time to do many. 

I think the appointments will be hard to get and I can't hear in the phone or download on my I pad. I can't wait hours in line or drive after dark. 
  They are not making this easy for seniors! 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Javits Center will be doing that in NY.

Finally after reports vaccine will or has expired because it sat in freezers to long

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We need help from the federal government. Or I should say, the states need that help sooner than later. Apparently, they cannot, for various reasons, handle this alone.

A national disaster of such proportions calls for a coordinated response.

To add, whenever we have a national disaster, are the states involved told that  they're on their own? I seem to recall that that is never the case.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I want my state to roll it out exactly as they are doing it now.  They have had a plan of who gets it when.  I have not heard of any problems so far. The last thing we need is "help". 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

How do they expect elderly people to physically GET TO these large venues?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Remember, this is Florida. They will find a way to mess it up. It is what it is, so to speak... lol

Honored Contributor

Will they have Porta-Potties set up along the long lines?

♥Surface of the Sun♥