Honored Contributor

A good idea for vaccinating many seniors.

[ Edited ]

Hard Rock Stadium, in Florida,  is taking registration for vaccination appointments of 1000 persons, 65+, per day. You wait your turn in your car. This is a good idea. You can sit comfortably and you do not have to be in contact with other people waiting their turn. 

Other sites will be opening up. I really like this idea. You call ahead and preregister by phone or online. Once vaccinated you are given a time for your follow-up shot. 

Finally, some sensible  thinking. 

People will still be waiting for hours, though, even with registration, mainly because people without appointments get in the auto line and hold up the process.

Honored Contributor

Re: A good idea for vaccinating many seniors.

Javits Center will be doing that in NY.

Honored Contributor

They tried this is another FL county I understand and eventhough the registration system said you were registered you WEREN'T Smiley Sad

The system is a mess ... people waited 4-5 hours in line (which I think is ridiculous) to find out they

1) weren't registered and

2) they were out of vaccines after first 1000.

It was chaotic to say the least - 

Publix will be offering the vaccine shortly as per our local news.

I would think it would be crazy since all their pharmacies are IN STORE --

I think the problems with the pre-registration system are the same problems the thousands of people experienced when they tried to apply for FL Unemployment - some haven't gotten as yet!  So I hope it doesn't crash the website for the vaccine since so many want it.

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  My brother and sister in law (71 and 67) were vaccinated at their local Kroger in the Dallas area two days ago.We're in PA and they have just one site in our whole county, and it's only for 1A - hospital staff and first responders.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Hard Rock Stadium, in Florida,  is taking registration for vaccination appointments of 1000 persons, 65+, per day. You wait your turn in your car. This is a good idea. You can sit comfortably and you do not have to be in contact with other people waiting their turn. 

Other sites will be opening up. I really like this idea. You call ahead and preregister by phone or online. Once vaccinated you are given a time for your follow-up shot. 

Finally, some sensible  thinking. 

People will still be waiting for hours, though, even with registration, mainly because people without appointments get in the auto line and hold up the process.

@Mindy D 

Hopefully, they will get their gas tank filled before getting in any automobile lines ... and hit the bathroom before going out the door.

I think our country accepting a vaccination (Pfizer?) that requires TWO shots was a very big mistake.  Twice the effort and twice as long to get everyone vaccinated.   IMO, very inefficient.  

Other drug companies have produced a vaccine that requires only one shot ... Pfizer should have been sent back to the drawing board.  Actually, they should have done that on their own.    JMO

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some places here in Georgia are doing this also.  What concerns me is I'm hearing you need to be watched for at least 15 minutes in case you are allergic to the vaccine.  My oldest DD is extremely allergic to insect bites or stings so she couldn't do the drive thru.

She has been told her son may also be allergic to bee stings so he can't do it that way either. What if you don't know about problems?

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

Some places here in Georgia are doing this also.  What concerns me is I'm hearing you need to be watched for at least 15 minutes in case you are allergic to the vaccine.  My oldest DD is extremely allergic to inscent bites or stings so she couldn't do the drive thru.

She has been told her son may also be allergic to bee stings so he can't do it that way either. What if you don't know about problems?

You just wait for a while nearby after getting the shot.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

In my town they will be giving them at the three drug stores in town and at  your doctors.

Valued Contributor

First, there are only a limited number of Publix locations in the state that will be offering the vaccinations. Unfortunately none by me. I have been trying for days to register for an appointment in Broward County to no avail. Nothing available. At the rate we're going, it will take 1-2 years to get people vaccinated. Government needs to step it up.

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

First, there are only a limited number of Publix locations in the state that will be offering the vaccinations. Unfortunately none by me. I have been trying for days to register for an appointment in Broward County to no avail. Nothing available. At the rate we're going, it will take 1-2 years to get people vaccinated. Government needs to step it up.

At the rate were going...more like several years. If one million people per day get vaccinated, which is not what it is now, it will take about a year...we're not even close to that rate.