Super Contributor

A gift from my grandmother

[ Edited ]

I know from reading this forum that there are a lot of grandmothers here.

This is a little late but if you need an idea of a very special gift for your granddaughters I have an idea.
Maybe you can start one for next year.

A little background, my grandmother lives in a provincial town in another country. I was born and raised in that country but we lived in the big city.
In the region where my grandmother is from, people cook and eat traditional foods pretty much exclusively.

Everybody has their own recipes but the dishes are common to the area and there is a great variety and usually they go by season.
They shop every day and it's all by scratch.

ANYWAY, one Christmas, my grandmother gave all her granddaughters beautiful hard bound books. In them she wrote out, by hand, many of the recipes that we all have known and loved growing up.
As my parents have a home in that town, we visited pretty much all weekends and holidays and when our parents were off travelling, we spent the summers with her so her food is part of our growing up.

She wrote about everyday dishes and all the special holiday ones too.

It must have taken her a very long time, one for each granddaughter.

Mine has become one of my personal treasures, I used it from time to time but otherwise keep it behind glass.
She left some blank pages for us to fill in.

Every recipe is a memory, just looking at her handwriting makes me miss her.
I don't want to sound like she's gone, she's alive and well and I travel back there all the time.

So, this is something that could be very special to your granddaughters and grandsons too and future generations.

I was not sure where to post this but this seems to be a general topic forum?

As I am not able to be here often, I want to wish you all the Happiest of Holidays, however you celebrate or spend this season, may it bring you comfort and joy!

Frequent Contributor

Re: A gift from my grandmother

What a fantastic idea! My mother did this for me & she included some of her mother's recipes. As you stated, her handwriting & original recipes are a treasure.

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.”
Honored Contributor

@c_la_vee...what a thoughtful gift, I would have  loved something like that from my grandma.

My DH has his motheres handwritten sprial note book recipe collection but the standing joke is no one will use the recipes as she was not a great cook or baker, but we are happy to have the book!

Esteemed Contributor

That is a wonderful idea. A treasure that can be passed down thru generations.

I wish I had my grandma's recipe for biscuits. Although I watched her make them many times, I can't seem to duplicate the taste.

Super Contributor

I'm glad you like the idea and happy for those who have one too!

Good cook or not, these books are treasured Heart

I'm off to battle...I mean shopping LOL

Trusted Contributor

@c_la_vee, what a beautifully written post and such a marvelous suggestion.  This is something that I will have to work on for next year. 

I am so happy that you have so many fond family memories and are still creating more.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Respected Contributor

That is a lovely gift from your grandmother.  Mine has been gone for 50 years but I have so many amazing memories of her.  Heart 

Trusted Contributor

@c_la_vee.  I have 2 spiral binders my mother gave to me of her handwritten receipts.  I am 72 and mom passed in 2010.  The book is a beautiful idea.  I will have to look into having Mom's book copied for each of the ladies in my family so that they can have them.  I could include extra pages with my favorites and blank pages for them to add to.  Thank you so much for the idea.  It will be a great winter project.

Esteemed Contributor

My grandma from Italy never had a receipt for any of her wonderful Italian dishes, but Growing up I watch Dr and picked her brain.  She was from NORTHERN ITALY.  

She came to AMERICA IN 1908.   She raised me.

That was a wonderful thing your gram did for you and a wonderful suggestion.  

I would do it for my Grandkids, but they were raised on hamburgers and hot dogs and never appreciate good home cooking.  Fortunately my one son cooks  up mine and Grams cooking and has surpassed us.  Both my boys cooked for their wives because they got tired of frozen or Mckey Donalds.  In all fairness one wife worked, so they should work as a team.

Very good suggestions, YEA for Grandma.

Respected Contributor

@c_la_vee I must add, what a sweet granddaughter to see the value and appreciate what your grandmother gave you.