Honored Contributor

Re: A gator in my garage. Oh my!

Look at its cute little hand!  

I'd be startled at first, of course, then thrilled. 8)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's a mystery as to why people want to live in Florida.

@Kachina624 It is no mystery at all as to why people want to live here.  But if you don't have the "guts" to do so, then that is your choice.

@Puppy Lips. I lived almost 35 years in Houston which is a semi-tropical climate complete with snakes of all kinds, a variety of bugs and other vermin and alligators in creeks just South of the city.  I can honestly say I hated every minute of it.

@Kachina624 

Nobody likes Houston...even native Texans....people are laughing hysterically over what happened to their "champion" MLB Astros....LOL!!!  You can add CHEATING to H Town's list of faults....  Yep my area has snakes and bugs but never seen a gator.... Woman Very Happy

What kind of critters does NM have?????? 

@Spurt.  I hear we have rattlesnakes but I've never seen a snake in the 20+ years I've lived here.  A few years ago a young bear wandered into town with Fish & Game in hot pursuit.  He managed to find the automatic doors of a clinic where they cater to seniors.  There were about 50 people waiting just inside the doors.  It was a toss up as to who was more frightened, the seniors or the bear.  I heard it was amazing how fast those elderly people could move.  

NM Fish & Game darted the bear and hauled him back to the mountains.

There are cougars in the mountains but we never see them in town.  People do report seeing an occasional bobcat.  They go after peoples' chickens.  We do, of course, have coyote even here in my neighborhood.  Cats allowed outside don't last long.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's a mystery as to why people want to live in Florida.

@Kachina624 It is no mystery at all as to why people want to live here.  But if you don't have the "guts" to do so, then that is your choice.

@Puppy Lips. I lived almost 35 years in Houston which is a semi-tropical climate complete with snakes of all kinds, a variety of bugs and other vermin and alligators in creeks just South of the city.  I can honestly say I hated every minute of it.

@Kachina624 

Nobody likes Houston...even native Texans....people are laughing hysterically over what happened to their "champion" MLB Astros....LOL!!!  You can add CHEATING to H Town's list of faults....  Yep my area has snakes and bugs but never seen a gator.... Woman Very Happy

What kind of critters does NM have?????? 

@Spurt.  I hear we have rattlesnakes but I've never seen a snake in the 20+ years I've lived here.  A few years ago a young bear wandered into town with Fish & Game in hot pursuit.  He managed to find the automatic doors of a clinic where they cater to seniors.  There were about 50 people waiting just inside the doors.  It was a toss up as to who was more frightened, the seniors or the bear.  I heard it was amazing how fast those elderly people could move.  

NM Fish & Game darted the bear and hauled him back to the mountains.

There are cougars in the mountains but we never see them in town.  People do report seeing an occasional bobcat.  They go after peoples' chickens.  We do, of course, have coyote even here in my neighborhood.  Cats allowed outside don't last long.

@Kachina624 

LOL at that bear incident!!! Woman LOL  🐻

We do have the occasional cougar/mountain lion sighting in the surrounding areas of our city.... A  Hiking Park was closed temporarily when several people reported seeing a mountail lion, but the Park Rangers didnt find it and re-opened the park. .... And someone living on the outskirts of town reported a mountain lion drinking from their swimming pool when we had a drought one year.....

Coyotes are a problem, my cousins neighborhood has had a few incidents.   And yes, people there have to keep their pets inside....I was going into one work early one morning and there were cop cars at a townhouse complex not too far from me...and they had flashlights pointed at a coyote!!!!  But they keep tearing down the wooded areas so these poor animals move into the suburbs.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Blessed Mother of Bob Dylan  no.....I cannot even look twice.  

Honored Contributor

My late in-laws lived in Bradenton, Fla on a good course....their porch overlooked a small lake and I could not believe the number of gators we would see wandering around the area near where golfers were playing. I wouldn’t even stay out on the porch, but the golfers just played through...hopefully someone in the group keeping an eye on the gator’s whereabouts.
Honored Contributor

Smart to keep your garage closed unless you are working inside the garage or taking the car in or out. We have squirrels that will run inside as soon as they hear the opening going....not gators for sure, but when you get a dozen inside the walls of your house, gnawing through wiring and plumbing...it’s a problem!
Honored Contributor

We now have bobcats and coyotes in our neighborhood...the overdevelopment north of us continues to decimate the native habitats of many types of wildlife. Such a shame, but they literally have no place to go.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

😂Between this fine fellow, his pals, big giant bugs, and high

humdity, deadly hurricanes, flooding 😈, I have to wonder, too. 

Then I see videos of beautiful beaches, stunning water! 

Still, I think I'll stay in the Northwest. 😊 Sure getting expensive to live here, though! 

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Look at its cute little hand!  

I'd be startled at first, of course, then thrilled. 8)

-----

He does look to be smiling.  In my case, it would be, because, I'd just soiled myself! 

Honored Contributor

I think I can safely say that where I live, this will probably never happen.