Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A gator in my garage. Oh my!

DH has a friend who moved to Florida last year.He bought a house on a canal. The guy can't use his backyard because the gators are always in his backyard. He is always sending us pictures. His wife is freaked out & wants to move!! I don't blame her.

I would never live in a house if I saw even one gator, period.

Honored Contributor

I look at every inch of my garage OR anytime I go outside before I step outside...I've had several alligators over the years in my backyard and one time I had one right outside the door😳😳😳.  I have screens on my garage thank god.

But, the worse nightmare since living here:  I was renting and walked into the dark garage -- door opener light came on I almost died of a heart attack.  There was a 8' ft water moccasin near the car.

I never have moved so fast in my life!   I freaked out my husband killed it by chopping his head off with a shovel.  I never went out in the garage when it was dark again.   3 days later a snake was on the mailbox...

Another reason I hate living here...always have to be on "patrol" and never walk in the grass.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's a mystery as to why people want to live in Florida.

@Kachina624 

When we visited Florida and Disney World we saw these critters around and about and gator incidents have been in the news before...Between the gators and hurricanes Florida is NOT for me.... (my paternal Grandmother lived in the Miami area for awhile and said she liked it there--different strokes as they say-).......Here in Texas we have Scorpions, Coyotes, and Snakes....

@Spurt  And don't forget our wonderful armadillos!  I especially love them when they are ruining my back yard and the dog goes nuts at 2am and they always visit in pairs,  7am one morning they were on my back patio.  Also love copperhead snakes when i was new to my adopted state I walked on the grass in the back in bare feet and stepped on one and the darling bit me and was in the hosp getting anti venom for two days. Every state has critters and plus and minuses.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 It is no mystery at all as to why people want to live here.  But if you don't have the "guts" to do so, then that is your choice.

@Puppy Lips. I lived almost 35 years in Houston which is a semi-tropical climate complete with snakes of all kinds, a variety of bugs and other vermin and alligators in creeks just South of the city.  I can honestly say I hated every minute of it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

When we visited Florida and Disney World we saw these critters around and about and gator incidents have been in the news before...Between the gators and hurricanes Florida is NOT for me.... (my paternal Grandmother lived in the Miami area for awhile and said she liked it there--different strokes as they say-).......Here in Texas we have Scorpions, Coyotes, and Snakes....

@Spurt.  You have alligators too.  I lived in. SW Houston and occasionally had out of town visitors.  Very little to do there so I'd take them to Brazos Bend State Park where they had a good-size lake with lots of alligators and herds of tiny deer.  The gators were smallish too, usually about 4 ft.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Florida's the pitts.  I've been there in the summer.  It's horribly wet.  Everywhere.  Water on the ground and in the air. Obnoxious alligators/crocodile. Violent weather with constant dangerous lightning.  The heat is unbearable.  Sticky and wet instead of dry. And old people going  there to die.  I'd rather go die in Arizona.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Florida's the pitts.  I've been there in the summer.  It's horribly wet.  Everywhere.  Water on the ground and in the air. Obnoxious alligators/crocodile. Violent weather with constant dangerous lightning.  The heat is unbearable.  Sticky and wet instead of dry. And old people going  there to die.  I'd rather go die in Arizona.

@songbird  Interesting. I lived in southern Florida for two years and didn’t find it that way at all. I enjoyed Fla. at the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

@Spurt  And don't forget our wonderful armadillos!  I especially love them when they are ruining my back yard and the dog goes nuts at 2am and they always visit in pairs,  7am one morning they were on my back patio.  Also love copperhead snakes when i was new to my adopted state I walked on the grass in the back in bare feet and stepped on one and the darling bit me and was in the hosp getting anti venom for two days. Every state has critters and plus and minuses.

@mspatmac 

Sadly, we dont get armadillos in my area of Texas, I did see a live one at the Lost Maples State Park Natural Area....

WOW-a copperhead ....those things are dangerous, glad went to the hospital and got treatment.....

The only snakes Ive seen where I live are a rat snake (and they are non-venonmous---they take care of the field mice from the surrounding fields and green belt area)....and some brown snakes.....which the feral cats seem to have under control....🐍 🐍 🐍

I remember when we were kids our family and cousin's families  went to state parks for picnics and us kids went swimming in the Guadalupe River with the water moccassins....we ignored them, and they ignored us....

I guess every area has its plus and minus critters....One of my relatives lives in upstate NY and they worry about BEARS which they've seen frequently!!!....🐻

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 It is no mystery at all as to why people want to live here.  But if you don't have the "guts" to do so, then that is your choice.

@Puppy Lips. I lived almost 35 years in Houston which is a semi-tropical climate complete with snakes of all kinds, a variety of bugs and other vermin and alligators in creeks just South of the city.  I can honestly say I hated every minute of it.

@Kachina624 

Nobody likes Houston...even native Texans....people are laughing hysterically over what happened to their "champion" MLB Astros....LOL!!!  You can add CHEATING to H Town's list of faults....  Yep my area has snakes and bugs but never seen a gator.... Woman Very Happy

What kind of critters does NM have?????? 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

@Spurt.  You have alligators too.  I lived in. SW Houston and occasionally had out of town visitors.  Very little to do there so I'd take them to Brazos Bend State Park where they had a good-size lake with lots of alligators and herds of tiny deer.  The gators were smallish too, usually about 4 ft.

@Kachina624 

SAN ANTONIO – Alligators are fairly common in the waters of East Texas and South Texas but they're not often seen in San Antonio area lakes and waterways.  The Texas Parks  & Wildlife Commission said that there was a hoax of one in New Braunfels and Canyon Lake...and most that are seen are former pets that people dumped in local rivers