Honored Contributor

Re: A gator in my garage. Oh my!

@Zhills wrote:

Wouldn't try to pet one, but never afraid of one.  Just walk away!  They won't persue!

Tell that to the family whos son was eaten by one at a Disney World resort a few yrs ago.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I'm deathly afraid of snakes.  Although I would still be terrified, I would take an alligator any day over finding a snake in my garage!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

My mother lived in Cape Coral, FL on a canal.  She had more snakes than anything else.  One day she opened her front door and a snake was somehow hanging from the outside door.  My aunt lived down the street and one day my children and I walked to her house to swim in her pool.  As we walked up to the house a black snake slithered away from the front door and around the house.  It went somehow into the pool area that was screened in.  We went back to my mom's house very quickly.  I would prefer to see an aligator.  Also we used to live in northern Ohio in farmland and had snakes all the time in our large yard.  Everytime my husband mowed the lawn (on a riding mower) a snake would try to attack the mower as he drove along.  Needless to say "no more snake".  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's a mystery as to why people want to live in Florida.

@Kachina624 It is no mystery at all as to why people want to live here.  But if you don't have the "guts" to do so, then that is your choice.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Wouldn't try to pet one, but never afraid of one.  Just walk away!  They won't persue!

Tell that to the family whos son was eaten by one at a Disney World resort a few yrs ago.

@Mz iMac That little boy was wading in the shallow water where there was a clear sign telling people to stay out of the water.  That incident is clearly the fault of his father.  And the boy was not "eaten".  The alligator dragged him underwater to drown him, which is what they do.  The body was later recovered.  Alligators have to eat too.  Disney has since fenced off the entire area.  It was a very sad situation indeed.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

The only time my garage door is open is when I'm getting the car in or out, otherwise it stays closed.

Respected Contributor

We live in the northeast and have had a VERY large bear very close to our house.  Very disconcerting, but we ignore it and it leaves.  I always remember that we, the human beings, are taking their, the critters, territory.  They were here first. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac That little boy was wading in the shallow water where there was a clear sign telling people to stay out of the water.  That incident is clearly the fault of his father.  And the boy was not "eaten".  The alligator dragged him underwater to drown him, which is what they do.  The body was later recovered.  Alligators have to eat too.  Disney has since fenced off the entire area.  It was a very sad situation indeed.

An average of 52 million people have visited Disneyworld for 49 years and this is one incident!  Sad, yes, very sad indeed.  Still safer than riding in a car!

Regular Contributor

I love living in Florida.  Best state in the union.  Beautiful especially in February when most of the world is here.  The alligators are not going to pursue a human, unless defending there nests or being fed.  They are like most wild animals, afraid of humans. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Puppy Lips  The sign said ‘No Swimming’.