Esteemed Contributor
On 2/11/2014 Bungo said:

You are NOT trying to be supportive.

???? I don't understand your posts! I guess I should tell her she's upsetting..just hate confrontation!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

Is she telling you her numbers plus suggesting that you do what she is doing or eat what she is eating? Is she adding on anything that she thinks might be helpful to you, or is she just throwing her numbers out there?

Respected Contributor

If the friendship is otherwise important to you, I'd try to kill the behavior with kindness.

Gush, gush, gush... until she hopefully realizes how insensitive and obnoxious she's been.

Some folks just have this annoying, unhealthy need to compete. I wouldn't take her neediness personally, though you may be able to nudge her toward outgrowing it.

Trusted Contributor

You and your friend are competitive over your blood pressure and blood sugar levels? For Pete's sake -- if talking about this with your friend bothers you, don't discuss your private medical information with her.

Trusted Contributor

Very odd. Your friend obviously doesn't realize how desperate she is coming across. I think I would give her the blank stare - one of these: {#emotions_dlg.blink} - and change the subject. If it continued, I'd have to ask her exactly what she's trying to prove with all this. It occurs to me that maybe she's paranoid about becoming ill.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/11/2014 Rowan72 said:

Very odd. Your friend obviously doesn't realize how desperate she is coming across. I think I would give her the blank stare - one of these: {#emotions_dlg.blink} - and change the subject. If it continued, I'd have to ask her exactly what she's trying to prove with all this. It occurs to me that maybe she's paranoid about becoming ill.

I think she's a hypochondriac! She's always going to the doctors and has MANY! Always negative and complaining about her health. But, she goes to the gym, walks with a friend most days and shops etc. Not something a sick person would so. I have noticed she also interrupts me if I meet a friend, or talking to a salesperson! I quit shopping with her when she saw a top I wanted and bought it, lol. Couldn't believe it. I guess the question is, whats wrong with me?? {#emotions_dlg.huh}She wants all the attention!

-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

Aw, it does sound as though she has some issues that need to be dealt with, emmiesmom. Until she can see that, she won't be able to move forward. I think I would just give her some growing space. Wink

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/11/2014 Rowan72 said:

Aw, it does sound as though she has some issues that need to be dealt with, emmiesmom. Until she can see that, she won't be able to move forward. I think I would just give her some growing space. Wink

I was thinking the same thing..I need a break~ Thanks Rowan!

-- Mae West
Frequent Contributor

Your friend isn't thinking--about how to be tactful, how to be a friend. I'd let it go and just work hard to get myself back to normal. You know what they say: What's important isn't how people feel about you when they've been with you; it's how they feel about THEMSELVES. Oh, if only we all lived by that. I try hard, and always find something kind and admiring in friends I'm with, so I say it! The hardest, I think, is to encounter a gorgeous gal at a party or such. What I try to remember is that she may have low self-esteem, gorgeous though she is, and probably needs to hear some rare compliments.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/12/2014 ForestMaven said:

Your friend isn't thinking--about how to be tactful, how to be a friend. I'd let it go and just work hard to get myself back to normal. You know what they say: What's important isn't how people feel about you when they've been with you; it's how they feel about THEMSELVES. Oh, if only we all lived by that. I try hard, and always find something kind and admiring in friends I'm with, so I say it! The hardest, I think, is to encounter a gorgeous gal at a party or such. What I try to remember is that she may have low self-esteem, gorgeous though she is, and probably needs to hear some rare compliments.

Thanks ForestMaven! I guess you're saying, if someone makes you feel inferior or depressed when you've been with them, its time to let them go, is that right? I try to compliment and build others up..I can see why she likes my company! I have met a couple of women lately that were complimentary, positive, etc, and I felt great. You just opened my eyes!

-- Mae West