Honored Contributor

A feel good moment about our military!

[ Edited ]

The city I live in has a large military presence and they are well respected and appreciated.

Almost every business here offers military discounts for pretty much everything from cars to restaurants and almost everything in between!

It's quite common to see citizens buying a serviceman's lunch/breakfast/dinner, as I have done many times too.

Yesterday, DD and I were having our weekly bonding/shopping/lunch day and we saw an SUV in front of a military credit union and the window of the SUV was spray painted with the words, "Outta my way! My hero comes home today!"

Her hero had apparently arrived by then, as he was sitting in the driver's seat, when a lot of us in the shopping center parking lot, who saw the sign, surrounded their vehicle with applause, screaming, "Welcome home!"

The look of appreciation on that soldier's face was priceless!

It warmed my heart so much, I got teary eyed.

Much love and respect for our military and their families, it's not an easy life!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: A feel good moment about our military!

My husband retired last winter after 30 years of active duty.  Thank you for the kind and respectful post!  The service member and his family must have been so touched!  Way to go!

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

My husband retired last winter after 30 years of active duty.  Thank you for the kind and respectful post!  The service member and his family must have been so touched!  Way to go!

@FastDogWalker2

Please thank your husband for those 30 years for me!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Hi IG, I'm so glad you posted this!  Thank you, and ITA Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

What a cute story.

Honored Contributor

That's a wonderful story, IG.  Tears came to my eyes as I was reading.

I don't have any military connections other than watching scripted shows on tv such as JAG, or Army Wives, or even the new The Last Ship.

But when such respect and gratitude is shown to anyone who has devoted critical hours, and often their own life, it's something that makes all the rest of us feel it, too.

I did receive grace one day when, in attendance at a concert, the Blue Angels suddenly flew overhead while most of us were stretched out on the grass.  All of a sudden, pride swelled within me.  It was quite unexpected and quite wonderful.  Blessings to all who serve and those who support them.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

It was so nice to hear of an act of appreciation.  Our military personnel and their families make so many sacrifices to keep us free and safe.🇺🇸

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Great thread, thanks for sharing, God  Bless Our Troops!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you you so much for sharing this story.

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The city I live in has a large military presence and they are well respected and appreciated.

Almost every business here offers military discounts for pretty much everything from cars to restaurants and almost everything in between!

It's quite common to see citizens buying a serviceman's lunch/breakfast/dinner, as I have done many times too.

Yesterday, DD and I were having our weekly bonding/shopping/lunch day and we saw an SUV in front of a military credit union and the window of the SUV was spray painted with the words, "Outta my way! My hero comes home today!"

Her hero had apparently arrived by then, as he was sitting in the driver's seat, when a lot of us in the shopping center parking lot, who saw the sign, surrounded their vehicle with applause, screaming, "Welcome home!"

The look of appreciation on that soldier's face was priceless!

It warmed my heart so much, I got teary eyed.

Much love and respect for our military and their families, it's not an easy life!

You just made my day!

Our "adopted" daughter is home from Kuwait until the 18th, and we are already getting sad about her departure. From there she goes on to Baghdad, so our worries are even worse.