Trusted Contributor

A dilemma - my father's funeral flag

My niece is in the process of cleaning out her parents' house and all their belongings. In the process she discovered that the house also contains all of the personal effects, and some furniture, from my mother and brother's apartments, and the paternal grandmother's, too.  Needless to say it's been an onorous project.

We're down to the "good Lord what do we do with this stuff." Stuff that has sentimental value but the rest of us just don't have room to continue the process on down and leave our kids in the same boat.  Things like my mother's diploma from RN school, which is mounted on a huge display frame, and rightfully so. We talked about acknowledging it, saying a prayer and letting her know how proud we are of her, then letting it go.

Anyway - here's my dilemma. My Dad was a WWII vet. He died when I was a child and was buried in a militrary cemetary. At the burial the soldiers did the military honors, including the gun salute and folding of the casket flag. My mother had the flag mounted in a triangular frame - I'm sure many of you have seen them. Since her death my brother, then sister had it. Now it is mine.

I don't know what to do with it. I will save it for now, but I just don't have the space for it , and seeing it tears my heart open again every time. Does anyone know how to properly and respectfully handle disposing of it when the time comes? 

Please don't hate on me.

Respected Contributor

Re: A dilemma - my father's funeral flag

I think any VFW hall will dispose of it for you, and no judgement here at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Give it to Goodwill or donate it to a Church sale.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover ............If you do not want to put it in a display case and hang it or put it on a shelf then call the local VFW.  They will have a flag burning ceremony to dispose of it for you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

"If you’re looking for a way to honor your country and the service members who fight for it, donating a veteran burial flag is a great way to do so. Whether you donate a flag used in a previous service or donate a flag to be used for a fallen veteran’s funeral, you’re doing an invaluable service."

Do a search online to see which military organizations you would wish to donate it to.  From the federal government to local and private veterans organizations would love to have it and will treat it with the respect it deserves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hopi ..............How disrespectful!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover  

You are doing the right thing by asking.  No judgement here.

Your local VFW will take care of the flag.

You can also go to any VA clinic/hospital and ask for assitance.  They will also help.

Some police stations and court houses have boxes for disposal, too.  ETA:  The VFW or VA or other veteran's groups will pick up any flags in these boxes and dispose of them in the proper burning ceremony.

American flag retirement box installed in St. Clair County administration  building

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Absolutely, local VFW or American Legion. They have flag retirement/disposal protocols.
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Give it to Goodwill or donate it to a Church sale.

@hopi   No.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my grandfather passed, they gave his flag to a VFW hall.  My dad's flag was given to school where it was flown over a sports field.  His sisters retired from teaching at that school.  Good Will has no use for it.  Hubby just chimed in that you can take it to a local fire department or VFW to have it respectfully discarded.  Apparently there is a procrdure.