Honored Contributor

Re: A desperate plea (Covid-related.

@Lali1 wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Yes, another and another and another!

Until everyone gets it!

So you're saying if people conintue to post this stuff everyone will obey? It's humorous to think posting here will control the population. 

Yes, it's much more efficient to wait and learn when a loved one gets sick or God forbid dies. Intelligent people are capable of learning, and mature people can admit when they've been wrong.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm glad he mentioned the French Laundry.

People become discouraged when they follow all the rules and then see those rules disregarded by those who should be setting the example.

We are doing everything we are supposed to be doing; and nothing infuriates me more when those who dictate to the unwashed mass are the first to violate their own mandates.

Flame away because I have had it with the hypocrisy.  No wonder people are getting fed up.

And yet I and mine still continue to do all the right things.  WIth teeth clenched.

I am right there with you @Cakers3 . Some of my family/friends disgust me. They espouse to be the "believers in science" but have been unable to sacrifice their social lives. Every get-together is explained away as they were "socially distancing". Then on fb we can see 12 people on a pontoon, 8 women sitting almost shoulder to shoulder at a pool party or 10 people sitting at the same table at an indoor restaurant.

And I don't cut any slack for "it's safe because they are family". Unless you are sleeping (or living in the same household) with your mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter or grands they are the same as socializing with a total stranger. 

Based on seeing on the news the number of people traveling for the holiday, I think the beginning of 2021 is going to be even more catastrophic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

What is it they say, the more you nag the more someone is going to dig their heels in?

What would you like to see happen, pad lock everyones front door so they can't get out?  Open it once a week to let a box of groceries in?

People are going to do what they want to do and nothing anyone says will change that.

I can't spend my time worrying about appealing to contrarians.

I am ready to beat Covid and for Covid to be OVER. I will only give and support special consideration, care, and accomodation for those who genuinely cannot be vaccinated or take precautions. Very few people are in that group, but I care for them very much and will do whatever I can to protect them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank You for this excellent post. Lately, I've been thinking about healthcare workers: those who've lost their lives trying to save others. Those who have become ill and disabled themselves because of their service and sacrifice. Those who have been physically separated for many months from their immediate families or have inadverdently (and sometimes tragically) exposed members of their own family. I've seen current  videos of nurses and doctors who have recounted how badly they are often treated when they must tell a patient they are critically ill with covid. The patient does not believe them and then berates and insults them.

Or when health care professionals offer prevention advice and are rebuked or worse. How devalued healthcare workers feel after everything they have and continue to give to help us. Some have had death threats, their photos posted on social media, their children harassed. Many have quit for their own safety, not from Covid but because of fear for their family's safety. Anyone objectively comparing US Covid cases and deaths to any other country must realize something is terribly wrong. WITH US. It's more than ignorance, selfishness, or laziness: it's a complete moral failing.

For anyone who did not see last weeks 60 minutes presentation, you can watch it online. Covid is not merely a respiratory illness. The neuropathologist explained that they are learning more and more about it as time goes by. It's also a dangerous and deadly disease of the blood vessels. Blood vessels traveling to every major organ. This is separate from age or previous health issues. Upon autopsy- bodies of all ages, pathologists are commonly finding strokes in the brain, blood clots in the heart, the kidneys, the lungs, and the liver.This has shocked even the most experienced professionals. What else do we not yet know?

A recent study done on young, healthy health care workers who contracted covid found that three months after testing positive, more than half had inflammation and damage to the heart, lungs, and brain. Many times the individuals thought they were fine, but tests revealed they weren't. Yes, these people survived but they were not the same.

The other day I recalled the goodwill, the giving spirit, the kindness throughout this country after 911. Regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, politics, socio-economic status, etc. we ALL pulled together to help one another get through the worst of times. It made us feel good to help our fellow Americans. We were, for the most part, kind and compassionate human beings. Why not this time? What has changed? If we do not figure this out, I fear for the future of our country and our citizens..

Honored Contributor

Why don't those that have a problem with a thoughtful post like this one, just skip it, rather than making the same old disdainful replies?  🤷🏼‍♀️

Honored Contributor

All the author is asking is that we not be reckless.  I'm disheartened by a funeral taking place in my area today. Older lady who refused to mask died of the virus. Her last conversation was about planning her two cruises next year. There is a visitation open to all (masking requested). Family is upset because minister refused to conduct inside funeral, although would have done graveside service. Nope, they found someone else.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

All the author is asking is that we not be reckless.  I'm disheartened by a funeral taking place in my area today. Older lady who refused to mask died of the virus. Her last conversation was about planning her two cruises next year. There is a visitation open to all (masking requested). Family is upset because minister refused to conduct inside funeral, although would have done graveside service. Nope, they found someone else.

Most people who post here are being careful. It's constant preaching to the choir. We here have gotten the point months ago. If someone really wants to change people they should go for a wider audience.  I have a suspicion it's not about changing anyone but rather just posted to start arguments. If one wants to help people there are plenty of places to do that rather than this board. A lot of people come here to chat and have fun not to be told how to behave. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing wrong with the original post, but maybe try to reach a larger audience if one wants to make a desperate plea. There are many other social media sites; this forum has got hundreds of Covid related threads already. Instead of just going here, repeating things,  it's a good idea to check out other sites. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Nothing wrong with the original post, but maybe try to reach a larger audience if one wants to make a desperate plea. There are many other social media sites; this forum has got hundreds of Covid related threads already. Instead of just going here, repeating things,  it's a good idea to check out other sites. 

It was published in the Los Angeles Times. That's a big newspaper with a large audience.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Yes, another and another and another!

Until everyone gets it!

I'm pretty sure anyone that reads or posts on these boards got it...a long time ago...

@CelticCrafter  I have faith that even if 3 more people on these forums wake up and say, "Oh yeah, I get it", that is 3 less people to be spreaders, right?