Respected Contributor

A couple of updates and a little venting

So my bout with shingles is much improved, no head pain. the rash has gone but still a little nerve type pain sensation on the right side of my neck but it's tolerable. I'm still on the gabapentin for a few more days then done.

Got my second booster shot yesterday, rt arm no soreness or pain in the arm like the first booster.

Now to vent ! As many of you know I have been sitting with my 6 yo grandson for virtual kindergarten and I'm proud to say he is at the top of his class. He was already reading at a 3rd grade level when he started  school and continues doing very  well in all of his subjects although we are working on him understanding less and more in math. He's getting there.   A couple of new students have started over the past 3 weeks and it's a shame that these children have no guidance. We just started the fourth quarter. One child is actually lying in bed sleeping during class and the teacher is constantly asking the student to wake up and sit up and attend class. Obviously the laptop was turned on, the child was logged into the zoom class and somebody left the room and closed the door and the child just went back to bed !. The other child just sits at the laptop with their head covered and does nothing. These poor children ! No supervision what so ever. !!  I'm flabergasted !  Ok that's my vent, thanks 

Honored Contributor

Re: A couple of updates and a little venting

Can you blame them?

Respected Contributor

Is there a reason they are still doing virtual school? I thought most schools were back in the classroom. Two years of staying home and in front of a computer is not good.  Maybe the teacher should call the parents of these children and make them aware of what is going on. 

Respected Contributor

I am glad to hear the shingles are waning. You have had a lot on your plate.

Feel free to vent. As a retired teacher, I know from whence you speak. The single most important factor in a child's academic success is parental involvement. Obviously the two new guys have none.

With your Zoom classes you unfortunately have a bird's eye view of what happens in some homes. Go do your homework. Child goes to room; comes out later. Homework is not done. No parental supervision at all. Your grandson is one of the lucky ones to have concerned parents and a grandmother willing to help his success.

Respected Contributor

Glad you are feeling better....

With all due respect children (especially the young) should not be learning through zoom classes. Most children do not do well, even with an adult in the room. Children need in person education. Some children get home schooled and do well, but that is with an adult overseeing their education in person. A teacher is not able to pinpoint a child's needs through a computer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps your grandson's mother or father can message the teacher that these two (or more?) students are disrupting learning, if that's the case. 

If not, and your grandson is able to continue on and getting great grades, I'd let it go.

I'm surprised that they are still at home learning.

Has your grandson ever experienced in-class learning at this point?

Respected Contributor

Glad for an update on your recovery and I have vaccine scheduled.

As far as your grandson’s educational “situation” it seems like another language to me.  I had no idea other than it sounds like he’s lucky to have you in his corner.  My baby grandson just turned one and I’m sure I’ll be called on to help out, but, until then good luck (to us all).

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charmwrote:

Perhaps your grandson's mother or father can message the teacher that these two (or more?) students are disrupting learning, if that's the case. 

If not, and your grandson is able to continue on and getting great grades, I'd let it go.

I'm surprised that they are still at home learning.

Has your grandson ever experienced in-class learning at this point?

The teacher see's the children thru the zoom class so she is aware of their activity or lack there of and I'm sure she has sent a text or called the parents but no change, she still reminds them everyday to get up and pay attention to the class. She has her hands full !!   School started last year during the height of the pandemic so they will continue thru the year and I don't know if they will have virtual Kindergarten next year.  My daughter plans to send my grandson back to in school learning next year.  He went to in school preschool before the pandemic

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Is there a reason they are still doing virtual school? I thought most schools were back in the classroom. Two years of staying home and in front of a computer is not good.  Maybe the teacher should call the parents of these children and make them aware of what is going on. 

@50Mickey 

Very sorry, but not all parents are functional.   If they were vested in the child's education to begin with,  the child wouldn't have been alone.

Frequent Contributor

I'm glad you're feeling better.  With all due respect, your grandson is lucky you are there to be with him while his parents are working.  Other parents do not have that luxury and have been highly taxed in the stay-at-home schooling world.  Work must come first in many families.