Honored Contributor

Re: A car fell off a ferry in the Miami area

My husband and I were watching this unfold last night.  We often watch cruise ship sailaways from various ports via PTZtv and Broadwave.  We were watching last night and there was a cruise ship sitting and sitting and we couldn't figure out why it wasn't leaving.  I switched over the Broadwave and saw all he police boats in Government Cut and realized something happened.  I was praying when they pulled the car out that it was empty.

DH and I have done ferry rides more times than I can count over to Put-in-Bay or Middle Bass Island here in Ohio.  Most of the time we get out of our car because I get motion sick but they pack the cars on the ferry so tight, sometimes you cannot get out once you are loaded on.

I just cannot figure out how something like this could happen.   

Respected Contributor

Wow, that picture shows exactly how it happened.  No real barriers to the front or rear.  It just takes a bit of rolling waves, and I can see a car fall off the back or front.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Wow, that picture shows exactly how it happened.  No real barriers to the front or rear.  It just takes a bit of rolling waves, and I can see a car fall off the back or front.  

It seems that would have to be a good sized wave to knock a heavy, parked car off.  This does seem rather dangerous to me.  The ferry we are on looks nothing like this at all.  

I wonder if this has ever happened before. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  I was shocked when I read this thread, and even more shocked, and SADDENED when I read the post! I am sending a prayer of solace to their loved ones, and anyone else affected by this very tragic loss, as they struggle to process it. My mother and I have been estranged lately, and although she KNOWS how much I LOVE her, I feel an overwhelming need to call her and tell her so today!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

that's very sad news to hear

Honored Contributor

OMGosh is that a picture right after the car went over?!  I can see a 'flattened' barrier (of sorts) and it appears a car is missing from the front of the line.  How awful for those two women!  Were emergency responses even attempted?  And how awful for other passengers to watch that happen.  I would've been terrified sitting in my car especially after I saw that happen.

Honored Contributor

I take the ferry often here in the Seattle area and although most of the ferries are bigger I cannot imagine how this could happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

A car fell off the ferry that takes residents to Fisher Island. Two women were found deceased inside the vehicle. Fisher Island is a private island for extremely wealthy people and their mansions on Miami Beach. You have to access your property by ferry there. Details are just coming in and the victims have not been publicly identified pending notice of next of kin. The news has not stated whether this was accidental or not. 

Well of course it was an accident!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Mindy D  I was shocked when I read this thread, and even more shocked, and SADDENED when I read the post! I am sending a prayer of solace to their loved ones, and anyone else affected by this very tragic loss, as they struggle to process it. My mother and I have been estranged lately, and although she KNOWS how much I LOVE her, I feel an overwhelming need to call her and tell her so today!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Please do call your mother.  I would love to be able to call mine.  Best wishes for a successful reunion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

It seems that would have to be a good sized wave to knock a heavy, parked car off.  This does seem rather dangerous to me.  The ferry we are on looks nothing like this at all.  

I wonder if this has ever happened before. 

I haven't read anything about this other than here. I was wondering if it's possible the car's transmission was in neutral w/o the parking brake on? I've never been on a ferry and have no idea what the safety measures are. 

eta ~ I just watched a news report that identified the two women. There were several pictures of them together shown smiling & happy. The also showed these big, heavy-looking blocks that are supposed to be placed in front of the tires--I think they called them chalks? They said they didn't know if these had been used or not. So sad.