Honored Contributor

A car fell off a ferry in the Miami area

A car fell off the ferry that takes residents to Fisher Island. Two women were found deceased inside the vehicle. Fisher Island is a private island for extremely wealthy people and their mansions on Miami Beach. You have to access your property by ferry there. Details are just coming in and the victims have not been publicly identified pending notice of next of kin. The news has not stated whether this was accidental or not. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A car fell off a ferry in the Miami area

It is bound to have been an accident....very tragic.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my, I can't believe it.  My immediate thought was if anyone was in the car and then I saw 2 women were in it.  How tragic, how does something like that happen?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have been on several car ferries, Cape May to Lewes Delaware, Shelter island, Martha's Vineyard, the cars are secured and you are never allowed to stay in the car while it is sailing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been on several car ferries, Cape May to Lewes Delaware, Shelter island, Martha's Vineyard, the cars are secured and you are never allowed to stay in the car while it is sailing

@I am still oxox  I looked at a picture of the ferry and it looks small and I don’t see that the cars are secured. Looks like it holds about fifteen cars.

Honored Contributor

OMG!  How sad!  I've been on a few car ferries but it's been a long time.

Once in particular I can remember about 20 years ago we rented a car and took a ferry from St. Thomas to St. John in the Caribbean.  My DH took the kids to a deck to enjoy the outdoors but I stayed in the car. 

Well the waves were rocking the boat which made me very nervous....I kept thinking what if the cars rolled off?!!  A woman came around to take tickets and I asked her if it was safe and she just looked at me like I was crazy!

Respected Contributor

I have been on small ferries in New England 25-40 cars and we were allowed to stay in our car and other than driving the cars on and putting them in park there they sat. Not secured.

I do remember there was a chain in the front and back of the ferry being  attached but there is NO way it would have stopped a car from going over.

Honored Contributor

Wow! How very sad. They probably thought they would be perfectly safe sitting in their car..I remember being on ferries when I was a child, but not as an adult. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I have been on small ferries in New England 25-40 cars and we were allowed to stay in our car and other than driving the cars on and putting them in park there they sat. Not secured.

I do remember there was a chain in the front and back of the ferry being  attached but there is NO way it would have stopped a car from going over.

That does seem dangerous, to not have a barrier that would prevent cars from going over the edge.  I suppose they tell you to put the parking brake on, but it may not hold in rough weather.  I'd probably choose to not stay in the car during the "voyage."

Respected Contributor

Police have identified the two women who were killed when the car they were in plunged into the water off the Fisher Island ferry. The women were identified as 63-year-old from Miami, who was driving and her passenger 75-year-old from New York.

Image result for A car fell off a ferry in the Miami area picture of ferry