Respected Contributor

Re: A bit of good news about the relics

@cherry wrote:

@goldensrbestthis is what the interior of the Cathedral looks like

I will try to find a better link

http://photonshouse.com/interior-photos-notre-dame-paris.html

Thank you so much for these photos, @cherry !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was also reported that the bells will survive and not fall...not sure how they know that...but hope it is true, the largest bell, I forget its name, weighs 20 tons; if it fell it would take a lot with it and the damage it would cause below would be unimaginable.

Esteemed Contributor

The sense of loss, the history, the artifacts - it's all so sad for a structure with so much history and so much love around the world. One of the good things will be that the world will be shown that history and artifacts are cherished and will be restored as much as possible.

Honored Contributor

The altar has survived ,and a processional cross. I am sure its a big mess, and dirty, and water damaged, but apart from that,  it looks structurally OK, from what I can see

It will probably look worse in daylight, but ,it is still standing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6926257/ROBERT-HARDMAN-witnesses-inside-ravaged-Notre-Dame....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excerpt from buzzfeed.com

French billionaire François-Henri Pinault said Monday night he and his family will donate 100 million euros to help reconstruct the Notre Dame Cathedral, hours after a catastrophic fire tore through the historic structure, collapsing its spire and causing significant damage.

"My father [François Pinault] and I have decided to release as of now from the funds of Artemis a sum of 100 million euros to participate in the effort that will be necessary for the complete reconstruction of Notre Dame," Pinault wrote in a statement.

François-Henri Pinault is the chair and CEO of the international luxury group Kering, which includes Gucci and Saint Laurent, and president of the French holding company Groupe Artémis, which owns the fine arts auction house Christie's.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo also said in a tweet that "the Crown of Thorns, the Tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works" had been saved from the fire, according to CNN.

"Thanks to the @PompiersParis, the police and the municipal agents the Crown of Thorns, the Tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works are now in a safe place," Hidalgo tweeted.

Merci aux @PompiersParis, aux policiers et aux agents municipaux qui ont réalisé ce soir une formidable chaîne humaine pour sauver les œuvres de #NotreDame. La couronne d'épines, la tunique de Saint Louis et plusieurs autres œuvres majeures sont à présent en lieu sûr. pic.twitter.com/cbrGWCbL2N

— Anne Hidalgo (@Anne_Hidalgo) April 15, 2019

It was not clear how many of the museum's other pieces of art were saved, CNN noted.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We rise again from ashes, from the good we’ve failed to do.
We rise against from ashes, to create ourselves anew.
If all the world is ashes, then must our lives be true?
An offering of ashes, an offering to you.

We offer you our failures, we offer you attempts,
The gifts not fully given, the dreams not fully dreamt.
Give our stumblings direction, give our visions wider view,
An offering of ashes, an offering to you.

Then rise again from ashes, let healing come to pain.
Though spring has turned to winter, and sunshine turned to rain.
The rain we’ll use for growing, and create the world anew,
From an offering of ashes, an offering to you.

In our church, we sing this every Ash Wed.  So very saddened by the loss of this cathedral

Honored Contributor

The picture only shows wooden chairs and not pews...maybe there are pews that can’t be seen from the picture. Sadly, I have never seen Notre Dame in person.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just read on a news feed that the family of a French billionaire (they own Gucci, Christies etc) has already pledged 100 million euros to help rebuild Notre Dame de Paris!

Honored Contributor

Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, the president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, shared his shock and sadness, calling the cathedral "a world treasure."

In a statement to the people of Paris, DiNardo said the cathedral has "long been a symbol of the transcendent human spirit as well as our longing for God."

Read his full statement:

“The horrific fire that is engulfing the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris is shocking and saddens us all, for this particular cathedral is not only a majestic Church, it is also a world treasure. Noble in architecture and art, it has long been a symbol of the transcendent human spirit as well as our longing for God. Our hearts go out to the Archbishop and the people of Paris, and we pray for all the people of France, entrusting all to the prayers and intercession of the Mother of God, especially the firefighters battling the fire. We are a people of hope and of the resurrection, and as devastating as this fire is, I know that the faith and love embodied by this magnificent Cathedral will grow stronger in the hearts of all Christians.”