Honored Contributor

Re: A bird laid an egg in my mailbox

@Irshgrl31201 So the mailbox is away from the porch? Maybe put the egg shells near the nest (base of mailbox?) Then observe if they disappear over next few days.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Irshgrl31201, that is an excellent idea to put your mail on hold for a few days, if it is cnvenient for you to pick up at the post office. You can do it online. What a wonderful story, really touches my heart.

I will do that then tonight. Thanks!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 So the mailbox is away from the porch? Maybe put the egg shells near the nest (base of mailbox?) Then observe if they disappear over next few days.

@JustJazzmom Yes, my mailbox is on the curb of my street and the mailman just drives up and drops off the mail while still in his jeep. My porch is about 20-25 feet from the mailbox. I can put it closer or even IN there with her if you think that would be ok. I just wasn't sure if I should put it actually in there with her. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I would not put it in the nest but at the base of the mailbox. I would leave a note at mailbox anyway even with mail hold; just in case you get people hanging ads or putting ads or plastic bags for clothing drop off by the mailbox.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

A robin in our backyard built a nest where the gutter pipe comes down to drain and sat on her nest all day and all night. 

My DH was mowing in the backyard and ask me to come and watch him mow! I thought this was a strange request and after he finished the backyard he said he was going to mow the front yard. 

I moved to watch him mow the front yard and he ask me what I was doing out front on the steps. I told him I was watching him mow the front yard since he asked me to watch him.

My DH told me I didn't have to watch him mow in the front because the momma bird stays in the back. Than he told me he was concerned the robin was going to attack him like in the movie about the birds.

I said I understood and came inside the house and started laughing about the difference between one robin and a horror movie with hundreds of birds!

I ask my DH if that movie haunted him and he said it did. 

So I will end this on a good note

The robin had three babies and she is constantly flying back and forth to feed them worms. The babies are growing quickly and chirping. 

I go in the backyard with my husband and we look from afar at the nest and the momma bird is watching!

I feel bad for my DH since his parents watched that Bird horror movie a lot and he carries that bad memory of the movie with him.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I would not put it in the nest but at the base of the mailbox. I would leave a note at mailbox anyway even with mail hold; just in case you get people hanging ads or putting ads or plastic bags for clothing drop off by the mailbox.

Thank you and great idea. We always have people putting flyers for all sorts of things on our mailbox. I would have forgotten about them had you not mentioned it! 

Thanks again everyone. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful!!  This has to mean some kind of good luck - wealth and health - coming your way!!!!  Please post pics!!

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

A robin in our backyard built a nest where the gutter pipe comes down to drain and sat on her nest all day and all night. 

My DH was mowing in the backyard and ask me to come and watch him mow! I thought this was a strange request and after he finished the backyard he said he was going to mow the front yard. 

I moved to watch him mow the front yard and he ask me what I was doing out front on the steps. I told him I was watching him mow the front yard since he asked me to watch him.

My DH told me I didn't have to watch him mow in the front because the momma bird stays in the back. Than he told me he was concerned the robin was going to attack him like in the movie about the birds.

I said I understood and came inside the house and started laughing about the difference between one robin and a horror movie with hundreds of birds!

I ask my DH if that movie haunted him and he said it did. 

So I will end this on a good note

The robin had three babies and she is constantly flying back and forth to feed them worms. The babies are growing quickly and chirping. 

I go in the backyard with my husband and we look from afar at the nest and the momma bird is watching!

I feel bad for my DH since his parents watched that Bird horror movie a lot and he carries that bad memory of the movie with him.

Hahahaha! @butterfly123, I watched that movie too and it was scary!! Now I wouldn't say I am AFRAID of birds but they make me uneasy. Probably because I know so little about them. I had a friend growing up who had a bird as a pet and they would let him fly around the house. That did scare me a bit. Gald to hear the robins are doing good!

Thanks everyone and goodnight!

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

Wonderful!!  This has to mean some kind of good luck - wealth and health - coming your way!!!!  Please post pics!!

I will do that tomorrow @corita! If the mama isn't there I will at least take a photo of the egg. Maybe someone here can identify what type of bird it is. 

JFK
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely do not put bird seed in the box.  Predator birds could come for it, or even any other bird and disturb the nest.  I also wouldn't put egg shells very close to the mailbox.  I think it's an excellent idea to pick up the mail at the post office while the bird is there, but as someone else said, put a note on the mailbox anyway.  Enjoy having all the activity around the mailbox.  I look forward to seeing a picture if you're able to get one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau