Honored Contributor

Re: A bird laid an egg in my mailbox

As cute as it looks or seems... it is a catastropy waiting to happen. It is not a good place for a bird to lay her eggs or raise her young... sorry to say I think this will end badly.

I do not know what  the fix it answer is...  If it were my situation it would stress me out worrying about the poor bird and her egg... glad it is not my situation. Best of luck no matter what you do. I hope someone here has an answer that works out!

Honored Contributor

Oh good heavens this thread takes me back . . . my mailbox is attached to my house and one spring robins decided to build a nest in the bush next to the porch.  I didn't think anything of it until I realized they were merciless with the mailperson trying to deliver mail!

Every year I would stalk that bush to make sure no new nests were built (the last year was actually funny/heartbreaking as every morning I would take whatever it was that they built out of the bush and every evening they would rebuild until I figured out which branch was the basis for the nest and cut it out.  It broke my heart to see the robin try and put it back where it was but for heavens sake there were so many other places to build).

They have finally now moved on to other pastures/bushes/trees . . . now if I could only convince my skunk friends to move on as well . . . . Smiley Happy

@Irshgrl31201 bless you for being so thoughtful and kind to this new family . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

a couple of years ago a bird family had a family in our patio heater.  We moved it.  We moved it back next to the house and now they are back with a nest.  We will have to move it out again away from the house as it is going to be painted in a couple weeks.  Do I move the heater now or in a couple weeks??? 

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MickD wrote:

a couple of years ago a bird family had a family in our patio heater.  We moved it.  We moved it back next to the house and now they are back with a nest.  We will have to move it out again away from the house as it is going to be painted in a couple weeks.  Do I move the heater now or in a couple weeks??? 

Check to see if eggs are in the nest or unfledged birds. If so, leave it alone until all birds leave. Remove nest if empty and move heater away from house. Maybe think of some sort of barrier to put over heater to prevent the birds from reusing again as a nest -- screening? 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Other than alert the mailman, I would not do anything.   The mailman may have already had an encounter with the bird.   As small a space as this, I suspect this is a wren.  

Two years ago ago we had a wren build her nest on top of the dusk to dawn light at our back door.   Smart choice, as we rarely use the back door, or have reason to go in the backyard these days.   

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe

Last week I posted " Where to build or not to... " and explained how after I removed the initial stage of a robin's nest from the spiral evergreen by my front door, I crumpled up a large piece of silver foil and placed it where they again started to rebuild.  They have moved down two trees and are in business.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Oh good heavens this thread takes me back . . . my mailbox is attached to my house and one spring robins decided to build a nest in the bush next to the porch.  I didn't think anything of it until I realized they were merciless with the mailperson trying to deliver mail!

Every year I would stalk that bush to make sure no new nests were built (the last year was actually funny/heartbreaking as every morning I would take whatever it was that they built out of the bush and every evening they would rebuild until I figured out which branch was the basis for the nest and cut it out.  It broke my heart to see the robin try and put it back where it was but for heavens sake there were so many other places to build).

They have finally now moved on to other pastures/bushes/trees . . . now if I could only convince my skunk friends to move on as well . . . . Smiley Happy

@Irshgrl31201 bless you for being so thoughtful and kind to this new family . . . Heart

@momtochloe     Location, location, location : }

@Irshgrl31201, you have a heart of gold.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@momtochloe

Last week I posted " Where to build or not to... " and explained how after I removed the initial stage of a robin's nest from the spiral evergreen by my front door, I crumpled up a large piece of silver foil and placed it where they again started to rebuild.  They have moved down two trees and are in business.

@jlkz thank you so much for this as it truly broke my heart to clip out that branch they relied on for that nest but again for heavens sake they have so much other material/sites to build on and the mailperson is only trying to do their job! . . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom - great advice...thank you!  We did move the heater a few feet away from the house yesterday.  The momma bird is back on her eggs.  We will move a few more feet today to the edge of the patio....so she won't be bothered by the painters, water, paint spray etc.....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I know I contributed to this thread with my story about doves who for six years built a nest in my large twig wreath.  I don't see it here anymore. 

Did anyone else see it?  Maybe I posted it in the wrong thread?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986