Honored Contributor

Re: A beautiful daily walk - do you have one?

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I can't walk very far.  I have major back issues.  If I could I would love to walk.  I used to be so proud of how I could walk so far and so fast.

There are many in my neighborhood who walk.  I think it is a perfect way to feel good and enoy life.

@Annabellethecat66

Oh, my goodness.  Me either (joint damage in my feet/toes).  I like to dream of walking though.  I can do a little, enough to walk my small dog, but long distances are out.  And like you, I used to be proud of being able to do it quickly and easily.  It was fun to have a dependable body, wasn't it?  Sigh.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Yes, there is a trail that follows the water and goes down to a beach a couple blocks from my home.  It's about three miles long.  It's one of my favorite things about living here. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

I have a nearby park where I do a daily run. There's a great trail by a stream and I feel very peaceful there.
Honored Contributor

There's a heavily wooded trail 200 feet away from my house.  It leads down to a large pond and I can choose any number of other trails branching from this main one.

There are bear sightings but the coyotes worry me more.  There's been a gang of three that don't scare off easily.  I walk with my 20-pound dog.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @GingerPeach, I am lucky enough to live right off a beautiful country road in an old growth forest.  I try to walk it every day.  We who live here are of (generally) modest means.  i see fox, deer, turkey, grouse, turtles, snakes, butterflies, vultures . . . and all sorts of wonderful indigenous native plants, not to mention songbirds (and a handsome neighbor).  Funny thing - not too far away are some "upscale" developments - people eschewed the house i now own because, I take it, the house wasn't "updated".  Granite and stainless can be found on every corner.  This only exists here, and it is special.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

I live on a bluff in Montana with 360 degree mountain views and a river running below, so I'm extremely lucky in that respect.  After many years in cities my husband and I left it all and hiked a trail from California to Washington, once we did that we knew we could never live in an urban environment again.  It's amazing how much calmer we've become now that we have such beauty all around us.

Honored Contributor

@Anita Bourbon

That sounds so lovely.  It's inspiring that you and your husband  made that trek and made the decision to live surrounded by beauty.  Good for you!  I love when people follow their bliss (their heart) or whatever is your favorite word for that. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Not so much a walk of beauty. . .I walk daily to the local post office and usually make a trip or two or three to the neighborhood grocery store.  Our little (Kansas) town is not beautiful, but it's home and I am thankful that I can easily walk where I need to go.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of this, but am going to look this up!  Thanks for posting!

I wish I could take walks! I used to walk all the time and I miss it so much.  Since getting ankle problems, I cannot walk at all.  It used to really do so much for my mental state.  When I was down in the dumps, I would put on my sneakers and head out the door.  Now, I can't.  It did more for my head than it did for me physically.  Those who can walk, I envy you so much.  Please enjoy!!!  I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.  Now, when I am sad/depressed/anxious, etc., I don't know what to do with myself.  Man Sad

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I feel very lucky to live by a nature refuge. I walk through it every morning at sunrise. It's so peaceful and renewing. I always take my camera because I never know what I’m going to see. Whenever I photograph something particularly lovely I send it to family and friends.  I enjoy sharing my walks with them. I feel very blessed to be able to do this each day.