Honored Contributor

Re: A Woman Used Her Hand As A "Mask"...............

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Too many "officials" saying, "hey, wear a mask if you want, don't wear one if you don't want"

It's sad, the lack of leadership and a cohesive message.

I guess I'd better stop there.

Not in my state. ( PA) They are Mandatory to enter a store or place where there are people other than your own home. All resturant, store and other essential2employees must wear them as well.

I have seen people being asked to leave and also on the news after they got arrested for disorderly conduct by refusing to leave.

Note that I didn't say ALL officials.

Good for your state.

Honored Contributor

DH and I went to Costco this AM.  Everyone was wearing masks, all customers & staff, the staff at the door were enforcing it.  City police there in patrol car. 

Large signs about requirements at the entrance, also big sign listing what was not available.  

Appreciate so much, and will support stores that do this.

The idiot with her hand over her face, obviously knew better.

SMH

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

That's very true @QueenDanceALot , it won't protect those who aren't wearing gloves. I would advise anyone who is going to the grocery store, having no way of  knowing who was there before them, to wear them as protection.

Personally, I hate wearing them, but don't trust myself not to unconsciously touch my face--even wearing a mask--before I can get home to wash my hands. 

Unfortunately I can no longer check expiration dates, which I mostly always forgot to do anyway, but I'm definitely checking my avocados. Everything else is what I touch, I take. It seemed to be what others were doing as well which was nice.

@SusieQ_2 

Personally, I think all stores should have both masks and gloves as requirements for entering the store, not left up to the shopper to decide.

I know that some people find this very Draconian and an affront to their "freedom", but to that I say, " tough".

Interesting that only the people who don't want to wear masks have "rights".  Wonder why those of us who actually want to follow guidelines don't seem to have rights.  

I have been shopping at my local organic market.  I've shopped there before, just don't usually buy everything there.  They require masks so that's where I'm shopping and as it turns out, they have everything I need.  Really, their meats and produce from local farms is so much better.  I'll continue shopping there even after this is over.  And I don't feel anxious when I go grocery shopping!

Trusted Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

When I start to feel resentful for having to wear a mask for the short time I'm shopping I just stop and think about the employees who are wearing them for their entire shift and dealing with the people who don't bother wearing one at all.

Every time I return home, for days afterward, I'm suspect of every cough and sneeze. The first two times I had terrible allergies the following day and was sure I had the virus. My daughter had to talk me down by explaining in a calm tone that I was obviously just allergic to something. The last time I went I had tummy problems the next day. Again, I was convinced of the worst. Smiley Very Happy 

And while I can laugh at myself for being somewhat of a hypochondriac I have so much empathy for the people who have to work there day after day. I would be constantly terrified. Smiley Sad

LOL. Before we were told to start wearing masks, I would come home from my very limited trips and also be sure I had it.  Dry cough, etc.  I would be taking my temp every day.  Finally, I also figured out it was from being outside and allergy related.  I was being very careful, but it is a relief to wear a mask and have others around me wearing them.  

Valued Contributor

Not all states issued an order for everyone to wear a mask and how is one supposed to get them anyway if they don't know how to find them without internet access.  My state is like that and it makes me uneasy....pretty sure our gov will be around for just1 term. To make matters worse, those without a mask seem to have contempt for those who do.  I don't carry around spares and they'd be unwrapped anyway, although I would expect someone to have the sense to wash it first.  What is one to do, I have no idea. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

When I start to feel resentful for having to wear a mask for the short time I'm shopping I just stop and think about the employees who are wearing them for their entire shift and dealing with the people who don't bother wearing one at all.

Every time I return home, for days afterward, I'm suspect of every cough and sneeze. The first two times I had terrible allergies the following day and was sure I had the virus. My daughter had to talk me down by explaining in a calm tone that I was obviously just allergic to something. The last time I went I had tummy problems the next day. Again, I was convinced of the worst. Smiley Very Happy 

And while I can laugh at myself for being somewhat of a hypochondriac I have so much empathy for the people who have to work there day after day. I would be constantly terrified. Smiley Sad

I woke up with a hot flash and thought I had a fever. I have an allergic cough that I keep monitoring, even though I know what it is and it's nothing new. At least we are amusing ourselves! And if anything were to occur we would be the first to know.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

On the radio today a Dr was discussing using the mask. He stated most are useless unless they are medically graded because viruses are very small and can get through. Also, wearing gloves is not good because you are carrying germs from one item to the next when you are touching the item and then go to another item the germs are being transferred. He was very interesting. One of many points that are not related to the public.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated

Sounds like a quack. We wear masks to keep our cough droplets from landing on other people and objects. Was this AM radio?

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps if you are so concerned about someone else wearing a mask, you should take that as a sign you should stay home.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Perhaps if you are so concerned about someone else wearing a mask, you should take that as a sign you should stay home.

But then who is going to stimulate the economy? A handful of sick people coughing on each other? Can't have it both ways during an epidemic.