Honored Contributor

Re: A Woman Used Her Hand As A "Mask"...............

Guess she didn't hear about keeping your hands away from your face.

People can be so stupid.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 -

Thank you for that reminder! I think I will try that because Walmart is near me and I wouldn't mind picking it up.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CelticCrafter  Before virus:  No shirt, no shoes, no service.

After virus: No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.

Folks need to get used to it, welcome to the new normal for quite awhile.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Astutely said.

A sign for these times to be posted on doors when people enter public areas of business.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2    As soon as temperatures hit 90°, as they have where I live, people will start falling out from wearing those suffocating, useless masks.  Remember, the original purpose is to protect others from YOU, not vice versa.  Normal fabric is too loosely woven to stop a microscopic virus.  I've been home for 3 months; I know I'm not contagious.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2    As soon as temperatures hit 90°, as they have where I live, people will start falling out from wearing those suffocating, useless masks.  Remember, the original purpose is to protect others from YOU, not vice versa.  Normal fabric is too loosely woven to stop a microscopic virus.  I've been home for 3 months; I know I'm not contagious.

Here in TN, when temperatures get hot like that, people stay inside air conditioning. Or at the very least near a fan. Around here if you see someone walking outside in the summer and they aren't wearing some form of workout gear or headphones, it's because for whatever reason, they can't drive. In that case, they're generally by themselves or in a very small group. And if someone does have a need to work outside, it's generally not in tight groups close to other people. Masks are completely feasible in the summer in modern times.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

If you're not paying attention it can be confusing. Here in SoCal, in Orange County, masks are required to be worn by employees but only strongly recommended for customers. Just a few miles away in LA county masks are required by both customers and employees.

Then there are the beaches. Orange County-closed. LA County-open. It would nice if things were more universal but I guess it depends on how things are going in the area. 

For now, I'm wearing both a mask and gloves and will keep extras in the car. 

One thing about touching...I will say I'm guilty of squeezing the avocados to see which are too ripe. With everything else the one I touched was I the one I took.  But again, if people would use their masks and gloves, it shouldn't be an issue. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Stores need to beef up security to protect their workers and shoppers.

Agreed.  Stores also need indoor traffic cops.  I was at the grocery store early this morning, going up and down the aisles and obeying one-way arrows on the floor.  A young woman came at me in the opposite direction, oblivious to me and to the one-way signs.  Making it worse, we kept running into each other as we traversed the same aisles in opposite directions.  She was clueless.  It was all I could do to not say anything.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

If you're not paying attention it can be confusing. Here in SoCal, in Orange County, masks are required to be worn by employees but only strongly recommended for customers. Just a few miles away in LA county masks are required by both customers and employees.

Then there are the beaches. Orange County-closed. LA County-open. It would nice if things were more universal but I guess it depends on how things are going in the area. 

For now, I'm wearing both a mask and gloves and will keep extras in the car. 

One thing about touching...I will say I'm guilty of squeezing the avocados to see which are too ripe. With everything else the one I touched was I the one I took.  But again, if people would use their masks and gloves, it shouldn't be an issue. 

@SusieQ_2 

I don't know about gloves.  It will protect you from picking up a virus/germ/bacteria on your hands,but if you are wearing gloves and squeezing avocados or checking exp. dates on peanut butter jars or just touching anything, you can be transferring virus/germs/bacteria onto other surfaces.  It's not like wearing a mask that is helping to protect other people from you.

Esteemed Contributor

I assume when I shop that many people have touched an item I am getting. They may have sneezed into their hand five minutes before I walked up and grabbed that item.  Even if it is being delivered or brought to my car, who knows how it was handled a bit before.  So I try to be as careful as I can.  I carry wipes and wipe down the cart.  I wipe down my hands and card after I use the credit card swiper.   I wipe down hands before I pick up the groceries and so on and so forth.  When I get home I wash, wipe, etc.  Then I leave the fates to what will be.  

Esteemed Contributor

That's very true @QueenDanceALot , it won't protect those who aren't wearing gloves. I would advise anyone who is going to the grocery store, having no way of  knowing who was there before them, to wear them as protection.

Personally, I hate wearing them, but don't trust myself not to unconsciously touch my face--even wearing a mask--before I can get home to wash my hands. 

Unfortunately I can no longer check expiration dates, which I mostly always forgot to do anyway, but I'm definitely checking my avocados. Everything else is what I touch, I take. It seemed to be what others were doing as well which was nice.