Respected Contributor

Re: A Woman Used Her Hand As A "Mask"...............

[ Edited ]

The poster is correct about stores, as private entities, being able to set their own rules, which is what I thought would happen, and is why DH and I were ready with masks before the governor required them in New York.

The stores, however, are not enforcing the mask rule. I'd say not uniformly enforcing it, except that there's no enforcement at all, with stores appearing to rely on shoppers compliance. Though I've seen many without a mask, not one has been confronted by staff.

Just this morning at Wegmans, I encountered TWO unmasked Instacart shoppers, at different sections of the store, and random shoppers without masks. And that's not counting the shoppers who've pulled them down to hang around their necks.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

That's very true @QueenDanceALot , it won't protect those who aren't wearing gloves. I would advise anyone who is going to the grocery store, having no way of  knowing who was there before them, to wear them as protection.

Personally, I hate wearing them, but don't trust myself not to unconsciously touch my face--even wearing a mask--before I can get home to wash my hands. 

Unfortunately I can no longer check expiration dates, which I mostly always forgot to do anyway, but I'm definitely checking my avocados. Everything else is what I touch, I take. It seemed to be what others were doing as well which was nice.

@SusieQ_2 

Personally, I think all stores should have both masks and gloves as requirements for entering the store, not left up to the shopper to decide.

I know that some people find this very Draconian and an affront to their "freedom", but to that I say, " tough".

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If wearing a mask protects the virus from spreading what's the BIG SACRIFICE in doing that?  Someone said it will be hot soon,masks are hot...stores are usually frigid. We will never get out of this nightmare if we don't start wising up.

You can swim all day in a sea of knowledge and still come out completely dry. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

I was just in a grocery store. I've worn an N95 mask now for two months.  But I'd say about 20% of the customers had no masks.  One was a young couple with kids.  It's gotten to the point where when I see someone without a mask they might as well just give me the lovely middle finger symbol. Here the rest of us are also uncomfortable wearing a mask, but we do so for the greater good and to protect others in case we are an asymptomatic carrier.

I wish stores would do more to enforce the mask rule. But if you think about it, what motivation do they have?  Denying any customer just means less profits.

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

If wearing a mask protects the virus from spreading what's the BIG SACRIFICE in doing that?  Someone said it will be hot soon,masks are hot...stores are usually frigid. We will never get out of this nightmare if we don't start wising up.

You can swim all day in a sea of knowledge and still come out completely dry. 

@MoJoV 

To those who say that a mask is going to be too hot in the summer I say, "oh, you need to wear a mask in a store, oh, BOO HOO".  

People just can't stand some inconvenience and/or discomfort in their lives.  It's kind of pathetic.

Honored Contributor

My DH just came back from the local neighborhood Turkey Hill store. 

He said there were teens in the store with no masks, and when he gave them the stink eye, they pulled their tee shirts up over their mouths, so they were aware they are needed by law.

He also passed the community playground and said it was full of kids with no masks, no social distancing and no adults in sight.  Our state is not open yet, but it appears the kids and their parents don't care.

Contributor

In my state (a hot spot) you HAVE to wear a mask in any store or if you are picking up takeout from a resturant.  If you are not wearing one you are asked to leave.  End of story.  If I saw the woman using her hand as a mask, I would have come unglued.  It's no joke in this state, the cases and deaths have just been unfathomable.

Honored Contributor

There's a lot of stupid out there that's been allowed to come out of the woodwork and disrupt decency.   These last few years it has become unbearable.    I would not really give a darn if they were only causing themselves damage, but they are hurting others. 

They could not care less.  But they will cause destruction just because they can, as they've been given license in recent years.  It's horribly unfortunate that the decent people have to go well out of their way to avoid damage.   I can only hope, and do my part, that this ends soon - all of it.  I hope we can get back to not being an embarrassment to the rest of the world.  We've lost a lot.  It will get worse before it can, hopefully soon, get better.

Esteemed Contributor

When I start to feel resentful for having to wear a mask for the short time I'm shopping I just stop and think about the employees who are wearing them for their entire shift and dealing with the people who don't bother wearing one at all.

Every time I return home, for days afterward, I'm suspect of every cough and sneeze. The first two times I had terrible allergies the following day and was sure I had the virus. My daughter had to talk me down by explaining in a calm tone that I was obviously just allergic to something. The last time I went I had tummy problems the next day. Again, I was convinced of the worst. Smiley Very Happy 

And while I can laugh at myself for being somewhat of a hypochondriac I have so much empathy for the people who have to work there day after day. I would be constantly terrified. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

I love this thread! So many great points of view! I only wish that those people who are endangering us by not wearing a mask could read some of these posts and smarten up/think about the health and safety of others. If someone is foolish enough to fly in the face of simple common sense and concern towards others, that's fine! I don't give a ****** if they contract the virus and all the horror that comes with it, but I do not wish to have my life or my loved ones lives endangered by these (okay, I know I have to keep it clean!) inconsiderate morons! #notonlyDEADLYbutjustplainGROSS