Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Woman Used Her Hand As A "Mask"...............

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

I wish they would stay home if they don't want to wear masks. If they did we could eliminate COVID-19 as a threat. Hong Kong and the Czech Republic have almost accomplished that. Because everyone there is wearing masks in public. Once the virus stops spreading it dies. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/

Masks are not 100% reliable.  The only sure way to protect yourself is for you to stay at home.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

All masks are not created equal and that is common knowledge not some made up story by a quack!  smh

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@on the bay    Why don't you use Walmart's free grocery pick up service?  I've been using it 3 years and have found it to be very satisfactory.  They also have home delivery for a small fee...much cheaper than Instacart.

Free pick- up service would be nice. Ditto home delivery, but it is not available in all areas. I do order as much as I can from Walmart online, but so many items for the last five weeks or so only are available " in store."  Even those in-store items are not quaranteed to be available.  

Esteemed Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

All masks are not created equal and that is common knowledge not some made up story by a quack!  smh

All masks are not the same, that is the biggest problem with this "everyone wears one" recommendation.  People get a false sense of security if they see someone with a mask.  While some may take the time to get something that might offer some protection, the person next to you can have on something that is useless.  You may not know the difference by just looking.  I prefer to give people more space and not be concerned with the mask.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Not all states issued an order for everyone to wear a mask and how is one supposed to get them anyway if they don't know how to find them without internet access.  My state is like that and it makes me uneasy....pretty sure our gov will be around for just1 term. To make matters worse, those without a mask seem to have contempt for those who do.  I don't carry around spares and they'd be unwrapped anyway, although I would expect someone to have the sense to wash it first.  What is one to do, I have no idea. 

@germanshepherdlove 

You can use a bandana, or scarf you already have.

Run it through your washing machine.

Better than nothing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

Not all states issued an order for everyone to wear a mask and how is one supposed to get them anyway if they don't know how to find them without internet access.  My state is like that and it makes me uneasy....pretty sure our gov will be around for just1 term. To make matters worse, those without a mask seem to have contempt for those who do.  I don't carry around spares and they'd be unwrapped anyway, although I would expect someone to have the sense to wash it first.  What is one to do, I have no idea. 

Better than nothing.

Yet so many that we see on the news apparently don't have bandanas or scarfs or just feel that wearing a face covering is not necessary...that's what my state is like unfortunately.  I have a large supply of face masks both washable and disposable.  @Drythe 

I accidentally deleted part of your response, so sorry. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

😬-It seems some stores are able to regulate things like masks, disinfecting, 6 feet away etc better than others.

I went into Walmart for the first time in a month. I just had to get 2 things.

Still it was scary because some customers were acting like there was no virus at all; going near others, not moving aside, nor wearing masks, while others were taking all precautions.

I also had to wait while an employee was stocking things right on the shelf

and the spot I needed to go to. I know she saw me and didn't let me get in so I just waited.

All in all, not a good experience.

So, we'll just keep ordering online, even though that can be frustrating too-(instacart)-wrong items even when described and what isle to go to, leaving things out, delivering 2 when just wanted one etc.

I just keep eliminating things I used to have all the time and doing without and trying to find other things to substitute or not having at all anymore and I'd rather do that for now than look in a store or keep trying to find online.

That woman had no common sense and probably also had no way to get a mask. But with a little imagination, there are many ways to make our own-like and old sock and some string.

I had to pick up a prescription at Walmart before they began other ways to pickup. When I got to the doors to enter there were 2 guys with counters - I'm thinking maybe this won't be as bad as I thought.  NOPE!  Walked inside to great sales on Easter Candy since Easter was over - maybe only 1/4 to 1/2 ppl with masks in the store and at the candy table you'd think they were giving away free food.  I walked back to the Pharmacy and got my prescription and was in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes.  NEVER again.  I'm in the process of having my prescription transferred from Walmart to CVS across the street - they have a Pharmacy drive up window.   I'm ordering everything online - I still grocery shop but do so on off hours.  

Honored Contributor

Sad she might not have had a mask. But wow the germs she is putting onto her face by using her hand that way is gross!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One friend has an N95 mask but her Sister was making the cloth masks and so now she is wearing one of those cloth masks. If she has the N95 mask it seems that might be the better choice than the cloth one, even if her sister made some!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Sad she might not have had a mask. But wow the germs she is putting onto her face by using her hand that way is gross!

She could just put a t shirt on part way over her head and that would be enough.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr