Esteemed Contributor

A Woman Used Her Hand As A "Mask"...............

My daughter ran to the Dollar Store for milk and 1/2 n 1/2. DD had a mask on, always does.  She decided to grab a box of microwave popcorn and a woman (no mask) in that aisle covered her mouth and nose with her hand.  The woman was further down the aisle and when DD reached to grab the box of popcorn, she saw the woman take her hand away from her face and proceed to pick things off the shelf, look at it and put it back. 

Maybe she didn't have a mask, bandana, or scarf to cover her mouth and nose, maybe she was one who just won't use one, but geez, don't use your hand as a mask, handle stuff and put it back. Take what you are going to buy and don't manhandle everything.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Woman Used Her Hand As A "Mask"...............

😬-It seems some stores are able to regulate things like masks, disinfecting, 6 feet away etc better than others.

I went into Walmart for the first time in a month. I just had to get 2 things.

Still it was scary because some customers were acting like there was no virus at all; going near others, not moving aside, nor wearing masks, while others were taking all precautions.

I also had to wait while an employee was stocking things right on the shelf

and the spot I needed to go to. I know she saw me and didn't let me get in so I just waited.

All in all, not a good experience.

So, we'll just keep ordering online, even though that can be frustrating too-(instacart)-wrong items even when described and what isle to go to, leaving things out, delivering 2 when just wanted one etc.

I just keep eliminating things I used to have all the time and doing without and trying to find other things to substitute or not having at all anymore and I'd rather do that for now than look in a store or keep trying to find online.

That woman had no common sense and probably also had no way to get a mask. But with a little imagination, there are many ways to make our own-like and old sock and some string.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Using your hand as a mask. Isn't that typically known as playing peekaboo?

But I agree, what your DD describes is exactly how virus gets on the products you buy at the store and then take home with you. And someone who touches her face and then objects around her and then touches her face again is making herself a prime target to catch COVID-19, making her all the more dangerous to others.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay  I considered she didn't have access to any knd of covering, but putting your hand directly over your mouth and nose and then touching things is not the way to go.

I read this am a town in Oklahoma was going to make masks necessary in stores and restaurants.  They reversed the decision after 3 hours because workers were being verbally abused and physically threatened, including one incident with a firearm.

If you can go out and about and wearing a mask is your only requirement, just wear the damned mask. They aren't ask for a kidney.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 -

I agree!

And using her hand just made it all worse. Going to the store is a scary thing these days!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I heard yesterday that the Governors cannot force everyone to wear a mask but the stores have the right to make their own rules and can deny access.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@on the bay  I considered she didn't have access to any knd of covering, but putting your hand directly over your mouth and nose and then touching things is not the way to go.

I read this am a town in Oklahoma was going to make masks necessary in stores and restaurants.  They reversed the decision after 3 hours because workers were being verbally abused and physically threatened, including one incident with a firearm.

If you can go out and about and wearing a mask is your only requirement, just wear the damned mask. They aren't ask for a kidney.

Stores need to beef up security to protect their workers and shoppers.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter  Before virus:  No shirt, no shoes, no service.

After virus: No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.

Folks need to get used to it, welcome to the new normal for quite awhile.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay    Why don't you use Walmart's free grocery pick up service?  I've been using it 3 years and have found it to be very satisfactory.  They also have home delivery for a small fee...much cheaper than Instacart.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I heard yesterday that the Governors cannot force everyone to wear a mask but the stores have the right to make their own rules and can deny access.

@CelticCrafter Here, you can't go into the Fresh Market without a mask.