Honored Contributor

Re: A Very Sensitive Question re: My Adult Daughter

Baker: Yes, sometimes, with their cati-ness, co-workers will actually undermine the success of their employer. Which is very counter-productive, job-wise. It seems to me. And, I've said this over and over again: Jealous/envious/whatever people just don't know what they are doing and saying. It's almost a compulsive addiction, in many ways.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I happened to remember something about our job reviews. You could refuse to sign it if you didn't agree w/ it. A friend of mine refused to sign his and many things were changed.

Honored Contributor

The job reviews I have dealt with all have a disclaimer beside the employee signature stating that they have received the review, and their signature does not indicate they agree with it.
Honored Contributor

I would insist on specifics from the supervisor. I think I smell a rat, meaning the supervisor may be attempting to get rid of her.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 sidsmom said:

Ask the supervisor to define exactly what the issue is. Boom. Done.

Yes, in detail, so it can be addressed. If the superior mentioned it more than once, there must be a problem somewhere.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to say, but in two different instances and two different women, this happened where I worked.

Both times it was female problems. I remember a supervisor spoke to one woman about it in secret and the woman confided in tears to me. I was just a kid out of high school and I can't even remember if I had any advice to offer her. But thinking about it years later, I realized how awful it must be to have to be told.

The second time it was a woman who also had female related issues and I don't think anyone (management) ever spoke to her about it, but it was something that was obvious when you walked into her area. I do believe she was aware of it herself. She would often mention heavy, long cycles after she had her twins and eventually ended up having a hysterectomy.

If your daughter thinks that could be the problem, go to the gyn again and get it checked out. For her own health's sake. It's not her fault!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 homedecor1 said:

This is just a situation which I've (we've) had and have finally found the culprit (at least for us!)

I noticed (I have a very sensitive nose & very allergic to perfumes, air fresheners, etc.) a musty/mildew smell in our clothing after it was washed & dryer (It was worse when ironing from the steam). My husband said to me I can't wear these golf shirts they STINK and so do I! OMG I wash clothes everyday and nothing sits. Even as they hung to dry in the open air. It became worse as he was wearing them.

Then I noticed our towels had a weird smell -- Our washing machine is a newer model (top loader) which uses the HE detergents & the dryer is the same age. I tried everything, washing the machine with vinegar, etc.

Nothing seemed to take this odor away. So I called out a repairman to check it out. He found nothing wrong but asked me about my detergent I was using. Then I realized I changed from ALL FREE & CLEAR to TIDE FREE (on sale) and this is when the odor problem started.

Perhaps it the laundry detergent she is using & the pH in her body that may not mix. I know since I changed back to ALL Free & Clear NO MORE SMELLY clothes or us! Believe it or not, we could smell that on my skin...it was terrible.

Just a thought!

I appreciate this info, since lately my mother in S.Ca is complaining for the first time of mildewy odors from freshly laundered towels, etc. She did recently purchase a new front-loading HE washer and dryer. I will pass this along to her. Could be the detergent she is using. The dealer told her to leave the door ajar on the washer when not in use, because apparently the seals on some front-loaders tend to grow mold.

OP, I can't add to all the great tips you have already received here, but I wish your daughter all the best in resolving this situation through her union.

Valued Contributor

On 3/4/2015 qualitygal said:

The only person I ran into was a garlic eater. I mean he must have eaten a lot. It seemed to come out his pores. I wonder if it's a food she might be eating? The others here could have a point too. Women are mean sometimes, huh, imagine that! I'd start having her narrow down when and either solve the mystery or she can fight back and put an end to catty behavior.

I am in tight quarters with a number of people every day. When someone eats garlic, I can't be anywhere near them, even though I love garlic myself. I have cut back on my consumption because I can't bear the thought of smelling like them. It gets on my nerves that I find the odor overwhelming. I wish it didn't.