Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Very Sensitive Question re: My Adult Daughter

On 3/4/2015 ncascade said:

I thought a little bit about this and I feel your daughter needs to have a meeting w/ the accuser, HR and maybe an (gasp) attorney. It could mean her whole professional history is at risk.

Does she shampoo her hair everyday? That is a smell that is offensive to many-unwashed hair. The accuser is not being specific enough. Or are they?

I heartily agree for this reason: I was being harrassed at work by the VP of Operations and the Medical Director because in my regulatory position, I found that the Medical Director had violated federal law. Since I reported to the VP of Ops, I had what I thought was a very professional conversation with her, indicating that the Medical Director had to cease and desist, as he was in violation, etc., etc. Then all H-E double toothpick began for me.

In my case, they had already roped in HR against me, so I found a fantastic attorney, who did such a fantastic job. She was an "employment" attorney, if I remember correctly.

Good luck to your daughter. She needs to move onto something more serious in terms of seeking out an attorney, if she wishes to retain her position at that institution. However, if she is looking for employment elsewhere, then the point is mute.

Super Contributor

I hope this does not sound insensitive but do you and your daughter eat ethnic foods? You said you do not smell any offensive odor. If it is part of your diet, you may not be aware of it.

There are many foods people working in a closed environment would find offensive.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/4/2015 ivanatrump said:

I hope this does not sound insensitive but do you and your daughter eat ethnic foods? You said you do not smell any offensive odor. If it is part of your diet, you may not be aware of it.

There are many foods people working in a closed environment would find offensive.

That is true, unfortunately many Indian food leave a lingering order. What specifically is the problem?

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 nursejulia said:

Thank you everyone. She HAS met with her supervisor who is actually the one reporting this to her. Today, she is going to her union. She is so embarrassed. BTW she is working on finding another job, which is not that easy. Thank you again for your helpful and non judgemental replies.

So, what is the supervisor specifically reporting about your daughter's hygiene? "Hygiene" can be a generalized term to include anything from personal care, deficiencies in Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), or - like others have posted, an untreated medical condition such as halitosis,etc. If the supervisor felt it was a big enough issue to confront your daughter about it, I would hope that he/she would be direct enough to address the specific issue.

Honored Contributor

Could it be that the supervisor has a vivid imagination? Just maybe the employees no nothing about this at all. Just thinking.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I do not think she should look for another job until this is resolved.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Ask the supervisor to define exactly what the issue is. Boom. Done.

Honored Contributor

sidsmom: you soooo correct!!!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Is it legal in your state to record your Sup.? Find out first, though. Just in case she is fabricating, etc. Allegedly. Edited to include asking your Union, too. Best to conform with all of their rules and regulations, as your contract with them probably states. Easier for them to negotiate with your employer.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Let your Union handle it. And/or follow their advice. That's the safest route.