Honored Contributor

Re: A VERY LONG, SLIGHTLY UNSETTLING BRIDGE

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@house_cat - OH HE!! NO!

I don't know what the new Tappan Zee bridge is like but I never liked coming home from Rhode Island over the old one.

I was not fond of the Tappan zee and it seemed like I always had to cross it at night.  Years ago, there was a bridge in that area that blew out in a terrible storm and several cars drove right off into the river in the darkness.  It wasn't the Tappan Zee.. do you remember the incident I'm referring to?  I moved away a while ago and haven't driven the new TZ yet.

My mom was terrified of the Verrazano bridge - but the NYC bridges don't bother me, though I always choose the lower roadway whenever possible.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

I spent most of my life in the NYC area - drove over bridges daily and they never frightened me.  I think there's something about the closed-in design of those bridges that made me feel safe.

700-01111753en_Masterfile.jpg

I cross this bridge several times a month for shopping and appointments.  It took me a few trips to get used to it but now it's easy.  The hard part now is the tourists who slow down in the middle to take in the scenic Columbia River in a 55 mph zone.

@Free2be 

Wow! You have my respect!  I didn't know the local roads and almost wound up on the bridge by mistake. DH got a kick out of that until he realized that I was literally in tears.

Coincidentally, I was born in Astoria, NY, right at the foot of the TriBoro Bridge. I think it's called the RFK Bridge these days. I crossed it hundreds of times and it never occurred to me to be afraid. I think I'm becoming even more of a scaredy cat the older I get.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I hate the Mighty Mac and so does my husband. It is a suspension bridge and  it sways

It was the longest suspension bridge in the world at one time. It is 5 miles of hell

You can see the water below as you drive over it. When it is windy they have to close it down in the winter they have to close it sometimes because chunks of ice fall onto the cars below

A Yugo was blown into the straits of Mackinac ,during a blustery windstorm...

I used to love going to the UP via ferries

I think it's the third longest suspension bridge now & I love crossing it. We won a pair of tickets & got to go to the top of the south tower...it's very tight spaces & not for the faint of heart but so worth it, the view is breathtaking. My daughter in law has to get under a blanket to cross so I understand your dislike. I want to do the walk across too, maybe next year. The UP is so beautiful, it's our go to vacation spot.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51  we have family in the UP and I just could not wait to be on land once again..

That bridge walk is usually a mass of people. My advice is not to drink much fluid before you walk it. It can be a long wait to get to a bathroom. I have friends that walk it

It was quite a feat of engineering in its day

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette   I've lived in NY and NJ my whole life and always drive over bridges however nothing could prepare me for the Bay Bridge in Maryland!!  I was literally white-knuckled driving over the incredibly steep incline and almost-zero side barrier.  The design also makes it appear oncoming traffic is heading straight towards you.  To make things worse it was raining.  I saw a video that some locals make $25 a trip to drive terrified people back and forth over it.  It's got to be the most terrifying bridge in America.  When I made my return trip home from Maryland I purposely took a longer route to avoid that bridge.

Respected Contributor

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the 7 mile bridge in the Keys.  I've driven it a few times.  Thought I'd be uncomfortable, but found it to be a quick, easy, and pleasant ride.... over much faster than I expected.

@house_cat   I remember two incidents of bridges that failed in the northeast... one in CT, and one in NYS, but probably 200 - 300 miles away from the Tappan Zee.  The latter was during a big storm.  There was also the bridge in the midwest several years back.