Respected Contributor

Re: A VERY LONG, SLIGHTLY UNSETTLING BRIDGE

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Oznell 

Have you been over the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado? It's worth the trip out there just to walk over it...or drive over it...you'll get the best experience by walking over it. It kind of sways and you can see between the planks below your feet and see the gorge and river below. It's almost 1,000 feet down to the river. Spectacular!

google_place_photo.jpg

YES! My Dad drove us over that bridge! Impressive.

Did anyone that's been here take the little tram thing down into the gorge and look up at this bridge?  Just awesome.

It's been many many years since we were there but I hate to admit that I was scared silly and would not go on that bridge.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee,  I have not been over that amazing bridge you have pictured, and I'm in awe that you have, the way that you did it.  Fantastic!  I would be too scared-- great heights do bother me and make me almost dizzy...

But hats off for your bridge-crossing feat!

Honored Contributor

I'm terrified of heights. @Oznell  I don't know what possessed me that day. It was just one of things some people do just to say they did it. Maybe it was the fact that my ride was on the other side and I wasn't about to turn around and go back! I got in the car once I got to the other side and I was not about to walk back over the bridge.Even the car ride back made me nervous.

Honored Contributor

I totally get that, @SilleeMee.  I'm impressed though that even so, you had the pluck to carry it off anyway--  and now you have the life-long knowledge that you could do such a thing, and, more frivolously, a great anecdote to tell!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak 

I've been down that trolley. It was steep! But it was also a good way to really get a good look at the gorge from below with the bridge above. I also rode the cable car across the gorge and that was scary, too. The wind was making the cable car swing and I almost got sick to my stomach. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

This is the bridge that almost did us in.  Ok, so I am being a little dramatic.  It’s just north of Mobile on I-65. Nicknamed the Dolly Parton Bridge. 

70 mph speed limit, really long approach, from either direction. You can see that bridge from a long way away. Gives you time to get nervous.  Last time I drove it, it was early morning and, fortunately, not many cars on the road at all.  We were going north and no one was in my rear view mirror at all. My palms started to sweat and I couldn’t maintain the speed limit and I drove over the bridge, STRADDLING the two lanes, at 35 mph. I was terrified that I would veer and drive us into the Mobile River.  It’s the spires. They’re too high for me and make me feel “vertigoish”. Never again.  I wouldn’t be able to do it even if someone in my car’s life was at stake. I don’t know what I would have done if we’d been in traffic. No way could I maintain one lane.  I felt too much of a pull to the side. 

I get nervous even seeing a picture of it.

D87033A1-8108-4F5E-97B4-59B9C8AFB33A.jpeg

@gidgetgh . I am getting nervous just looking at the photo. Yikes!

Crossed this bridge last fall on our trip going to and coming from the gulf coast.   It was daunting, to say the least ...

Esteemed Contributor

Here's another nail-biter ... we crossed this bridge numerous times on our way "down south."  The Memphis-Arkansas Bridge ...

Memphis-Arkansas Memorial Bridge

Respected Contributor

The Mackinac Bridge in MI is my favorite...I always look forward to crossing it. I like covered wooden bridges too, charming & fun.

Honored Contributor

I hate the Mighty Mac and so does my husband. It is a suspension bridge and  it sways

It was the longest suspension bridge in the world at one time. It is 5 miles of hell

You can see the water below as you drive over it. When it is windy they have to close it down in the winter they have to close it sometimes because chunks of ice fall onto the cars below

A Yugo was blown into the straits of Mackinac ,during a blustery windstorm...

I used to love going to the UP via ferries

Valued Contributor

I’m from Michigan so I love the drive across the Mackinac Bridge!

However, no matter how many times I cross the Sunshine Skyway bridge, St. Pete (Florida), I cannot enjoy it.  I stare straight ahead and pretend I’m not on a bridge. It terrifies me...a steep up, up, up  ...oh, I get sweaty palms just thinking about it.  (This fabulous photo was taken by Vicky Sullivan.)

E4D029AE-5ED1-48CA-A28C-FCF57DBA73E0.png

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela