Honored Contributor

Re: A VERY LONG, SLIGHTLY UNSETTLING BRIDGE

have seen many photos of this bridge. it is long and eerie. I doubt i could travel that far on this long causeway. I am not crazy about bridges in general. i have a fear of water.

my oldest sister did travel the bridge many years ago when she was on vacation with her husband. she did say it was a very long bridge and tiring to drive it.

Honored Contributor

I am very afraid of bridges, and once I googled Scariest Bridges in the US and Scariest bridges in the world, and I was almost sick after looking at them. 

If it is a long bridge, like the one in Louisiana, I would have to lay down in the back seat because I believe it goes on for 23 or 24 miles, and at a certain point all you can see is water, no land! 

I could never do the one that Silleeme posted about-no way!!!!!Just looking at the photos scared me more than enough.. LOL!!!!!! 

Valued Contributor

No thanks, I use to get the creeps. Just driving over the Vincent Thomas bridge in San Pedro Ca. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I've walked this one .... Taos NM

Image result for Taos Bridge

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter @drizzellla 

We used to drive over the Tappan Zee often (at least monthly) to visit grandparents.  I HATED it!  Bridges don't bother me as much now.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Oh, and the old Cooper River bridge in Charleston.  That was horrible. 

It would scare me so much. It would rattle and shakeCat Surprised

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now that's what I call daunting.  And a veritable engineering wonder.

I haven't been over any long bridges like this but I did often have to drive over a certain freeway overpass.  This one was temporary while they worked on the permanent one.

The temp version was very high and had very much of a curve and felt as if your car would slide right off or failing that, would fly out into the air.  With my fear of heights, I would have closed my eyes, but I was the one driving!

It never failed to unnerve me and I was so glad when the more moderate permanent version was finally finished.

You brought back a scary memory, @Oznell and it wasn't even scenic.  Woman Wink

Image result for scared eyes emoji

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Hmmm, I've been on the Lake Pontchartrain bridge numerous times over the last 30+ years and it never even occurred to me to be fearful. But now that you've pointed out that long picture of it I may reconsider. Ha! I guess it doesn't scare me because it's low down with no real sharp twists and turns. I have a fear of tall, winding overpasses similar to below. Don't do well on those anymore at all! 😱 

Image result for steep highway overpass

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Slighty unsettling"? Whatever... No freaking way...

While I can appreciate them as engineering marvels and can even find them interesting to look at, I hate them...

As for Chesapeake Bay crossings, just to clarify, there's the onerous Bay Bridge in Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in Virginia... They both suck...

The Maryland Bridge...

Image result for chesapeake bay bridge md

Image result for chesapeake bay bridge md

The Bridge-Tunnel...

Image result for chesapeake bay bridge tunnel

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Oh, and the old Cooper River bridge in Charleston.  That was horrible. 

It would scare me so much. It would rattle and shakeCat Surprised

@tiny 2 We got stopped once on that old bridge coming back into Charleston and I thought I'd die.  There was a thunderstorm going and they had a wreck, the ambulance and a police car were in front of us and it was right at the top.

I thought I would croak!  I would think I'll get out and walk up to the police car and say GET ME OFF THIS THING and I'd look out and the roadway was so steep I was afraid I'd slip down.  LOL!!!  I was a basket case until we finally got to move.  Lightening was striking the docks and the wind was blowing.  It was awful.