Honored Contributor

Re: A Tattoo on your foot? On a model showing shoes... not a good look

I'm sitting here watching NBA Mavericks game.

Dirk Nowitzki reaching 30000 Points.  WOOT!!

And tying this back to tattoos...he's probably one of the rare

professional basketball players today who doesn't have a tattoo.

Funny timing. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a tat on my foot that is identical to one my husband, a mature soldier, has. We got them on our honeymoon which was just a few months before  first deployment. I see it everyday and it has great meaning to us.

I have another on the ankle of the same as does my husband in honor of one of our sons.

Frankly, I don't care what anyone thinks.

We all have a right control our own bodies.

Jmo, of course.

Honored Contributor

IMO there is a huge difference between the mindset of those who who have 1-2 tattoos that are small and/or done in a place that is often or usually covered by clothing, and those who choose to have multiple large tattoos in very visible areas where they are "meant" to be seen.

To me there's a difference between having an unobtrusive, subtle tattoo or two, and having multiple substantial garish splashy tattoos covering large visible areas of the body. I dislike "statement" tattoos that go way beyond simple likes and dislikes and become billboards; human bumper stickers if you will.

People have the right to have any kind, or number, of tattoo(s) they want to have, and I have the right to feel the way I feel about some of them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Funny timing. 

How do you know that?  Have you seen him in the buff?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Funny timing. 

Exactly, you'll never see the tattoo my niece has and who cares. You do or don't. No right or wrong. Knicks fan myself.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

The funny thing about tattoos is many are done while the recipient is inebriated.  Maybe they'll remember agreeing to it maybe they won't.  

Some tats are interesting others are pretty but many are just hodge podge ugly marks on otherwise beautiful skin.  

I think whoever hires a model would judge on what the tat looks like, its beauty or lack of.

@Lovingq Where in the world did you come by this information? A TV show perhaps? Out of the THOUSANDS of tattoo shops, you're saying that most of their clients are "inebriated? :womansurprised:

@JaneMarple

Exactly!

Actually, any reputable tattoo business won't do a tattoo if you're inebriated. In many states it's illegal to do so.

I had plans for one once after having lunch with DH, where we had a reuben sandwich and a beer for lunch.

When the artist smelled the beer on my breath, he would not do the tattoo that day, even though he conceded that I didn't seem intoxicated, but he could still smell it.

I would've thought he would've smelled the reuben before that 1 beer, LOL! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KingstonsMom    Let's not play games, we all know tiny ear piercings are not the same as a colorful, splashy tattoo, nothing is. 

@Kachina624

No games, but your comment of "deface" was very amusing and overly dramatic.....my opinion.

And not all tattoos are large, colorful and splashy. Another generalization.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

It's 2017 and people shouldn't be discriminated against especially for something that doesn't affect their ability to the job. Which this doesn't at all, 

@jaxs mom  It's one thing to be non-discrimatory in the case of physical impairment or deformity, but another to think poorly of a person who deliberately defaced her body. I would question the judgment and maturity of such a person.   There are many people who don't find tattoos attractive; if you're going to get one you should do so with the understanding that you may face discrimination. 

Oh, so would you call police officers, firefighters, and our brave men and women in uniform, who fight for our country, not "mature" if they got a tattoo?

Soldiers in WW1 & WW2 had tattoos also.

Would you call them not mature for having them?

Yes.

Then you must think that my grandfather who faught in World War One was "immature" also, as he had TWO tattoos.

Just remember, the next time you see an "immature" soldier who has a tattoo, he/she fought for YOUR freedom, just like my grandfather did, which you seem to take for granted.

You must not like nor respect the military very much.

I bet that you don't even have the gonads to tell a soldier who is sporting a tattoo, that they are immature for having one.

And I mean, tell them to their face.

Oh, and if a paramedic, firefighter, or police officer ever comes to your rescue, and they are sporting a tatt, be sure to them too, to their face, just how immature they are to have one.

Funny how this spins out of control.
I thought we were talking about models.

As for throwing down the Military & Public Service card...yes, I respect the military...I spend time w/ a veteran every day & night who currently serves w/ the Dallas Police. I still say yes, it's bad judgement & short-sighted to permanently mark your body which could cost you employment later in life. Today's military recruitment is struggling so the tattoo limitations have been lifted. Hand, facial, neck tattoos? Sure! But after serving, don't expect to join the Dallas Police Department...where the majority of the force is ex-military.

IMG_0973.JPG

Someone can be very competent at their job, but still be immature & have bad personal judgement.  Internal Affairs are busy w/ cases of employee 'bad personal judgements'.

Sidenote:

Philadelphia had tattoo situation last summer.

A bicycle policeman, sporting short sleeves, was photographed showing a very large, controversial '1930's German inspired' tattoo. I'd post a picture, but it probably wouldn't pass QVC Community Guidelines. The Jewish community saw this photo & insisted an investigation. Philly doesn't have a tattoo policy in place, so 6 months later, it was determined he is allowed to remain on the Force. BUT the Philadelphia mayor is "deeply offended by the tattoo” and calling it “completely inappropriate"....and low & behold, last month, actions began to set a tattoo policy for the Philadelphia Police Department.

This tattoo is more than 'personal expression'...it's causing community unrest. I would guess this particular officer will be adjusting his uniform to long sleeves all year if he's to keep his job.

A flower, peace sign, 'Keep On Truckin' Guy' tattoos? Sure...go for it, but that's not always the case...'it's all fun & games until someone gets hurt.'  And I pray it's not physically hurt out of retaliation. 

Oh, so the police CAN have tattoos. It just can't be offensive, or obscene, and be able to be covered by a sleeve, and it can't be on the head, neck, scalp, face, hands or fingers.

Other than that, tattoos are A-OKAY!

Honored Contributor

If QVC thought their viewers would be offended they would of asked her to cover it with something like Dermablend

@qualitygal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The audience who is buying a product might not be offended by the models who sport their tatoos. I think it's a generational thing. Woman Happy

I'm almost 70, and don't have a problem with it. What generation were you thinking of?

LOL

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Funny timing. 

If one has a tattoo that is ALWAYS covered by clothing, isn't that sort of a moot point?