Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,044
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

At NASCAR driver Brian Scott's wedding ceremony he lowered his body to one knee and said to his stepdaughter, "I promise to always hold your hand and skip with you down the street and bring comfort to your life. I vow to make you say your prayers before you eat. I promise to read you stories at night and to always tuck you in real tight."

Among all the controversies of the day, I found this to lift my spirits.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,549
Registered: ‎12-17-2012

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

What a beautiful thing to do for her ... and her mother.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor
Posts: 4,685
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

nice. so terribly nice

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,113
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

I thought it was sweet but I wondered how her father felt to hear him saying that to his daughter. Not sure what their situation is but if he is around I'm sure he was hurt,
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,955
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

On 2/26/2015 Lynneuk said: I thought it was sweet but I wondered how her father felt to hear him saying that to his daughter. Not sure what their situation is but if he is around I'm sure he was hurt,
A loving father would welcome a stepfather's kindness.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

On 2/26/2015 Newnick ame said:
On 2/26/2015 Lynneuk said: I thought it was sweet but I wondered how her father felt to hear him saying that to his daughter. Not sure what their situation is but if he is around I'm sure he was hurt,
A loving father would welcome a stepfather's kindness.

Newnick, I have to agree. A truly loving father would go to the ends of the earth not to have his daughter even in the situation of having a step father to begin with, but if it was totally out of his control (in other words, if he couldn't protect the marriage and family unit) then he should be grateful for a man that cares enough to do the things a dad should do. Should anything happen to the father, it should be a comfort for him to know his daughter has a man loving and looking out for her in his place.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,713
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

Such a sweet story, thanks Deep!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,136
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

one fast little swimmer in a herd of a thousand does NOT a father make..............it's a lifetime of commitment, love, and caring that makes a dad......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,559
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

Here's the rest of it:

" . . . I vow to show you how a man should treat a woman in my relationship with your mother. And above all else, I vow to protect you, care for you and love you forever.”

I have no doubt of his loving sincerity. The child is 3 y/o and it was wonderful to include her in the ceremony.

That said, I trust his words aren't meant absolutely literal about the skipping {#emotions_dlg.laugh} and forcing her to pray which has a domineering edge to it. He didn't plan it so it was off the top of his well meaning head.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,044
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: A Stepfather's Wedding Vows to His Stepdaughter

On 2/26/2015 Free2be said:

Here's the rest of it:

" . . . I vow to show you how a man should treat a woman in my relationship with your mother. And above all else, I vow to protect you, care for you and love you forever.”

I have no doubt of his loving sincerity. The child is 3 y/o and it was wonderful to include her in the ceremony.

That said, I trust his words aren't meant absolutely literal about the skipping {#emotions_dlg.laugh} and forcing her to pray which has a domineering edge to it. He didn't plan it so it was off the top of his well meaning head.

Thank you for completing the quote. I read this at the NASCAR.com site, and they only showed the sentences I posted.