Honored Contributor

A Step In The Right Direction Against Poaching Wild Animals

Three poachers have been shot dead by wildlife troopers after sneaking into a national park in Kenya.

The armed poachers, said to be from Uganda, illegally entered Mount Elgon National Park on Wednesday and tried to kill elephants and steal their tusks.

A shootout ensued between the men and Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) rangers, who are in charge of protecting the animals.

While three of the poachers were killed, another two were injured but escaped, the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) said.

'The officers were on routine patrol inside the park when they encountered five poachers, two of whom were armed,' KWS said in a statement.

'A fierce shootout ensued and three of the poachers were gunned down while two others escaped. AK-47 rifles were recovered.' 

Poaching has declined sharply in Kenya from a peak in 2012 but it remains a problem, with some 69 elephants and nine rhinos killed last year.

More than 33,000 elephants are poached each year, which equates to one every 20 minutes. 

Despite a ban on the international trade in ivory in 1997, African elephants are still being poached in large numbers. 

Three poachers have been shot dead by wildlife troopers after sneaking into a national park in Kenya with the intention of killing elephants (file image)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5816183/Three-elephant-poachers-shot-dead-wildlife-rangers-K...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Step In The Right Direction Against Poaching Wild Animals

I'm just fine with the idea of poachers being shot on sight. 

@KingstonsMom, do you keep tabs on this trail? Do you know why there's still so much demand for ivory that people still risk their life for it?

I get the big payout motivator for the suppliers, but who's the end of the line consumer on this?

Whose desire for ivory keeps this ball rolling?

Honored Contributor

I'm not going to say that killing people is something to be celebrated or that it's a step in the right direction against poaching.  A human life is is as precious as an animal's life.  The troopers returned fire because they were under attack, it was self defense.  However,  if this means that they have increase their efforts to protect the elephants.  If they have armed to troopers and hired a lot more of them; that is indeed a good thing.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I'm just fine with the idea of poachers being shot on sight. 

@KingstonsMom, do you keep tabs on this trail? Do you know why there's still so much demand for ivory that people still risk their life for it?

I get the big payout motivator for the suppliers, but who's the end of the line consumer on this?

Whose desire for ivory keeps this ball rolling?

@x Hedge

This is from a book by Gary Roberts called, "Voices from the Savannahs", highlighting the poaching problem for over 20 years.

His book has been applauded by David Attenborough and Jane Goodall.

"Ivory is referred to as 'white gold' in China, used in decorations, and Asia uses Rhino horns in 'medicine'".

**I didn't include a link because some photos are disturbing, but you can google the book.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

It's not just a step in the right direction .... it's the PERFECT solution!   JMO

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm not going to say that killing people is something to be celebrated or that it's a step in the right direction against poaching.  A human life is is as precious as an animal's life.  The troopers returned fire because they were under attack, it was self defense.  However,  if this means that they have increase their efforts to protect the elephants.  If they have armed to troopers and hired a lot more of them; that is indeed a good thing.

When any criminal decides to break the law, he does so with the knowledge that he may be putting his own life in danger.

No sympathy from me, JMO.

Honored Contributor

I'm just fine and dandy with this. Poachers are nothing but low lifes who deserve whatever they get, punishmentj/death wise.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom Kudos to the KWS for the work they do,actually risking their own lives in the name of conservation of endangered species.  Shoot to kill poachers is the only thing that stops those poachers. My son is a Conservation Police Officer here, we're proud of the important work he does every day. Thanks for your post. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge A year or so ago, Smithsonian Magazine did a cover story about the Ivory trade, poaching, who was involved, why and what could/should be done as well as the problems with stopping it.

VERY insightful, well written and the article discussed topics that many may not be aware of but when you think about it, makes perfect sense when it came to why it's so difficult to stop:

*poverty

*corruption

*culture

*high demand.

If you can reverse/stop those 4 things in not one but multiple countries, you'd be able to stop the poaching. The author made it quite clear, however, that it will never happen. 

If you can find the issue, it's worth downloading/reading. I wish I still had it but we donate all our magazines (the few we receive) to our local senior center.

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@KingstonsMom Kudos to the KWS for the work they do,actually risking their own lives in the name of conservation of endangered species.  Shoot to kill poachers is the only thing that stops those poachers. My son is a Conservation Police Officer here, we're proud of the important work he does every day. Thanks for your post. 

@MoJoV

Please thank your son for what he does!Heart I'm very proud of him too!

The island I live on is a Wildlife Preserve and the incredible photos I have of various wildlife here is priceless!