Respected Contributor

Re: A Sardonic Senior Might Say

@Spurt @mousiegirl  I also grew up in a more carefree time as many of us remember. We only had to worry about nuclear bombs, that was okay, hiding under our desks at school, would save us from nuclear annihilation. It was scary to hear the air raid sirens though.

I was a Baby Boomer and my oldest daughter is also a Boomer, born in 1964. My five children range in age from 47 to

58. They also grew up at a time when they could play outside,

ride their bikes, take a bus to go downtown, go to the movies,

concerts and dances, without feeling unsafe.

I feel very fortunate that I raised my children in those days and not today. I worry for my grandchildren and great grandchildren. The world is so different  from those innocent days and children can't enjoy the freedoms that we had and even my children had.

I worked in public schools before my retirement 2 years ago

and I am dismayed at what is not being taught anymore, cursive writing being one thing. As was mentioned, many

historical and legal documents require being able to read cursive. How could a person be a mail carrier if they can't read

the names and addresses on envelopes?

Don't even get me started on the lack of common sense all around us. One parent at school said to me "Common sense is just not common anymore". I say "Common sense is a rare commodity and is getting rarer by the day".

Also, you talk about idiots. I do not go out often, since covid.

But, when I do, I encounter at least one idiot on the road. The way people drive ,makes me want to take back roads and avoid

the highways when I can. If they are even looking, and not on their phones, everyone is in a hurry. They cut out in front of you from a side street without looking. If you travel the speed limit or even a little over, they are tailgating and up your b*tt.

Here is a quote that I read a while back " I think that stupid people were put on this planet to test my anger management skills". Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

It also seems that the entitled generation  after us, (you know, the ones who got trophies for showing up for sports) some of them are my grandchildren, were spoiled and never heard the word no. Everything is about them and many have not been taught to show gratitude or respect. It makes me sad that three of my grandchildren show their mother little respect or gratitude for all she and her husband have done and given to them. But, she raised them to feel that the world revolves around them and to get anything they want. She wanted them to have "self esteem".

She is an elementary school teacher with a Master's Degree

and she loves children. As  educated as she is, I just don't understand her raising children this way.

I was very young when I raised my children, but I had common sense. They were never deprived, but not spoiled.

They were respectful and considerate of others. I may have been wrong in thinking that my children would raise their children the same way.

It is a different world. It seems that the cell phone is the idol that they worship. I think that children are exposed to disrespectful behavior on social media and TV reality shows and that seems normal and acceptable today. It is the dumbing down of America.

That is my rant for today.

Honored Contributor

@desertrat8 

Oh I expect to be full Hell on Wheels at 80; far worse than my mom is now at 88!  

Super Contributor

@RedTop  I AM & my grandsons love it!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl    I love this...so much of this is right on. Lol

Valued Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@mousiegirl  That's what I do too. Those produce bags are so difficult to open. Could they make them any thinner?

I'm old enough to remember when they used brown paper bags. I hate the plastic for all the stated reasons, and also, just because they're plastic.

Honored Contributor

Haha!  Love them all....most recently it's those darn plastic bags in the produce isle that are next to impossible to open with dry fingers and I'll be dammed if I lick them!  Yuck!  Sometimes I will wet two fingers discreetly from some produce if I see something that has been recently sprayed. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

@Enufstuff wrote:

@mousiegirl  That's what I do too. Those produce bags are so difficult to open. Could they make them any thinner?

I'm old enough to remember when they used brown paper bags. I hate the plastic for all the stated reasons, and also, just because they're plastic.

@PuppyLoverBob666 

Paper bags are making sort of a comeback here in some grocery stores---BUT they arent like the paper bags of old and the handles on the paper bags ALWAYS COME APART....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I love each and every one of these statements, much truth and meaning for me.  Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed this post very much!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

@Enufstuff wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 

Paper bags are making sort of a comeback here in some grocery stores---BUT they arent like the paper bags of old and the handles on the paper bags ALWAYS COME APART....

@Spurt   If we want paper bags here, we pay at least $.25 each, so I bring my own insulated, which I leave in the car and fill them myself, I just tell the checker to put everything in the cart, loose.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

@Enufstuff wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 

@Spurt   If we want paper bags here, we pay at least $.25 each, so I bring my own insulated, which I leave in the car and fill them myself, I just tell the checker to put everything in the cart, loose.

@mousiegirl 

There's no extra charge here at Central Market they just ask you "paper or plastic"....normally like you I bring my own insulated reusable bags made from recyclable materials....But sometimes Ill stop at that store on a whim and dont have my reusable bags with me.....So Ill select paper but it hasnt turned out very well....I dont leave any of the reusable ones in my car....they get too hot in the car in the summer here....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”