Honored Contributor

Re: A Sales Tax Question for Texans and People Who Order From Texas

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I have some new information which I hope you enjoy.

But first, I have to say I am completely shook up. I just returned from some errands and missed being hit by someone who blew through a red light at close to 100 MPH by about two feet. Had I floored the gas pedal as soon as the light turned green, I would be dead. But because gas is so expensive, I never do that anymore.

OK. I sent another e-mail to ShopLC and included a screenshot of what I thought was the appropriate section of Texas law from the link supplied by @beckyb1012  Thank you @beckyb1012.

I received a beautiful letter from Priyanka, who I believe is one of the biggies at ShopLC. If I have the right person, I once read an article about her online. She finished a doctorate in literature while working there but chose to keep her job.

A perfect letter. Not one spelling or grammar error. Correct tone and strategy. Must be her.

She said they never intended to cause me to "face such challenges" and refunded the tax. Never said they were wrong. Never referred to the screenshot. She wrote what a person in her position would write and did it very well.

So, be on alert for this issue if you order from ShopLC. While I like them, they certainly have some sneaky practices. 

@PickyPicky3   You received a credit for the tax and that ends your problem.

You can also take a credit on your own state's income tax filing if you do file income tax in your state.

Since you received the sales tax back, nothing else needs to be done.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

When you buy clothing from a state where it's taxable, you pay the tax, regardless of where you live. This is not a new rule. When I lived in NM, they even taxed prescriptions and groceries. And a state sales tax. It was brutal. Texas has no state sales tax and no tax on prescriptions or groceries. If I order from LLBean, I pay no sales tax since they have no brick and mortar store here. There are lots of various rules regarding sales tax. Some politicians have been known to cross to another state to purchase a yacht and store it there, even though they don't live there, to avoid paying taxes on it. 

That's not true for me @Trailrun23 !  I shop online a lot.  If I buy clothing, shoes or other items that are taxable in my state, then the retailer will collect the sales tax.  In my state there is no state or local tax on clothing, shoes and other certain items that are less than $110.00.  If I buy garments from Nordies online whose headquarters is in Washington State, they will not charge me sales tax if my items come in under the above amount.  It could be coming from Vermont, California (doesn't matter ~ if I don't pay that tax in my state I will NOT be charged for it if my state doesn't already routinely collect it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3. Thanks for answering. It clears up my confusion as I thought you were saying Texas didn't tax clothing.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

When you buy clothing from a state where it's taxable, you pay the tax, regardless of where you live. This is not a new rule. When I lived in NM, they even taxed prescriptions and groceries. And a state sales tax. It was brutal. Texas has no state sales tax and no tax on prescriptions or groceries. If I order from LLBean, I pay no sales tax since they have no brick and mortar store here. There are lots of various rules regarding sales tax. Some politicians have been known to cross to another state to purchase a yacht and store it there, even though they don't live there, to avoid paying taxes on it. 

I'm sure you mean if you physically walked in the store to purchase clothes, in a state that charges sales tax on clothes, you would pay the tax.  

You can't walk in a store in TX and say 'Hey, I'm from Delaware, so you can't charge me tax on this outfit because we don't have sales tax on clothes (or 99.9% of items) in Delaware'.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did make a mistake, I typed state sales tax and I meant state income tax. Texas has no state income tax. NM does have state income tax. Guess I am too tired to be typing!  No place in my post did I say only politicians avoid paying taxes. Not sure why you think that.I was only giving an example of one I know about. I have been ordering from LLBean for probably 30 years and have never been charged sales tax on anything I buy, which is usually clothing of some type. I inquired about it years ago and was told they could only charge sales tax in states where they operate brick and mortar LLBean stores. I also live in Texas. 

Respected Contributor

We live in New Hampshire.  No sales tax.  Have never been charged for on-line purchases no matter where they come from.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I have some new information which I hope you enjoy.

But first, I have to say I am completely shook up. I just returned from some errands and missed being hit by someone who blew through a red light at close to 100 MPH by about two feet. Had I floored the gas pedal as soon as the light turned green, I would be dead. But because gas is so expensive, I never do that anymore.

OK. I sent another e-mail to ShopLC and included a screenshot of what I thought was the appropriate section of Texas law from the link supplied by @beckyb1012  Thank you @beckyb1012.

I received a beautiful letter from Priyanka, who I believe is one of the biggies at ShopLC. If I have the right person, I once read an article about her online. She finished a doctorate in literature while working there but chose to keep her job.

A perfect letter. Not one spelling or grammar error. Correct tone and strategy. Must be her.

She said they never intended to cause me to "face such challenges" and refunded the tax. Never said they were wrong. Never referred to the screenshot. She wrote what a person in her position would write and did it very well.

So, be on alert for this issue if you order from ShopLC. While I like them, they certainly have some sneaky practices. 

I am so happy it worked out for you.  We Texans aren't such a bad lot after allWoman LOL

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Texas should be renamed "Taxes", because there are taxes for every.single.thing!!!!

Not cheap to leave in Texas.  

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

When you buy clothing from a state where it's taxable, you pay the tax, regardless of where you live. This is not a new rule. When I lived in NM, they even taxed prescriptions and groceries. And a state income tax. It was brutal. Texas has no state income tax and no tax on prescriptions or food items. If I order from LLBean, I pay no sales tax since they have no brick and mortar store here. There are lots of various rules regarding sales tax, especially addressing online purchases. Some politicians have been known to cross to another state to purchase a yacht and store it there, even though they don't live there, to avoid paying taxes on it. 

@Trailrun23 this is not true for me. I live in Philly. PA do not charge sales tax on clothes, shoes, food (uncooked), medicine - things noted as essentials. If I order online I do not get charged sales tax on clothes. I order sneakers very often from D*ick's Sproting Goods for my son. When the item is in my cart, there is a sales tax charge, but once I check out, the tax is removed.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Texas should be renamed "Taxes", because there are taxes for every.single.thing!!!!

Not cheap to leave in Texas.  

@Sunshine Kate   Not true.  Not all goods are taxed in Texas.

California, NY, WA, OK. AR, TN, AL, and LA all have higher combined sales and local tax rates.  Stats from the Tax Foundation for 2022.

Texas is not in the top 15 most expensive states to live in 2022.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh