Trusted Contributor

Re: A SPLASHED OUT "DUNKIN" OR IS IT "DUNKIN DONUTS"?

They can call themselves whatever they want, do whatever decor they want, they'll always be Dunkin Donuts to all of us, lol. The local one has the double D purple logo and paint on their place; always out of stuff so it's hit or miss. We don't drink coffee or fruity drinks so other than the occasional donuts Sunday morning via the drive-thru, we don't visit it.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

We are getting one built into our Walmart. They have been building it for months, but it looks like it may open soon. It replaced a McDonald's that was convenient, but not really good service. I anticipate that the lines of people trying to just order donuts will be a problem, as threy will spill into the path of custmers trying to get in and out of the store.

Valued Contributor

I think the large stores with places to sit are site-specific.  Here in MA, the home of Dunkin (or "Dunks" to locals) there is a DD about every quarter of a mile!  My city of 

63,000 has 10 locations.  The trend here seems to be away from having people in the store.  We have one on our Main Street that is a 24 hour store that practically has a licence to print money.  They removed tables and chairs completely, and have a very narrow counter along the window to stand and eat.  The design of this store looks like a collaboration between Nazi Germany and Soviet Era architects.  Cold, sterile, completely devoid of any type of warmth or inviting elements.  They once had a wall of donuts (52 varieties back in the day!)  and now a small glass box holds about 9 kinds and some muffins.  Very unappealing in both appearance and offerings.  Other than that, though....I love it.  It could be much worse!   It could be a Starbucks!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

(By the way, can anyone tell me when they dropped "Donuts" from their name--  seems to me I became aware of that a few years ago?  But you hear both, so not sure.)

I almost never go there for coffee, since a couple near us are not very well managed, for some reason.

But we were errand-running in our nearby county seat, and needed to find a meet-up place with our son.  There's a new, revamped truck stop at the highway, combined with a "Dunkin", and wow.

This Dunkin is big and airy, has soaring, cathedral ceilings, huge windows, a fireplace, groups of comfortable overstuffed chairs, etc.   There's no fluorescent orange in sight, that I can remember.   You could call it Starbuck-ian.

Anyway, it was actually fun to linger in and drink our frozen pumpkin-swirl coffee (I think that's the name-- it was very good, and I'm not especially a pumpkin person.)

Question--  do you think this Dunkin is so fancied up because it is a hybrid with the truck stop?   The Dunkin sort of "morphs" into the large other half of the complex, which contains a large "general store" type inventory.

Or do you think all of the the Dunkins will eventually be upgraded to this?

Continuing my Dunkin obsession, I've loved the quirky narrator they have for their radio commercials, ever since the summer, when you could hear him intoning "It's HOT...."        And his "Fall into Fall" ones are good too.

Whew, I hope I don't start dreaming about Dunkin....

Edited to add--   Smart of them to put "Coffee and More" in the sign of this one I found online,  indicating the expanded menu choices....

0611dunkin.jpg

Hi Oznell. I’m not sure where you live, but all Dunkins will eventually be what we call “Next Gen” stores. They won’t all have cathedral ceilings or fireplaces, but some franchisees do add optional features to the stores. Yes, I work for the corporate office and cover approx 100 Dunkins in the NYC Tristate area. Donuts was dropped from the name in 2018 with the blessing of the founders family—the Rosenbergs. It was time to update and most customers were already just using Dunkin. The interesting thing about the beverage / donut thing is that the further north you go, the higher the beverage mix. New England is very high in percent of sales that are beverages, while Florida is mostly food and donuts. I’m so glad to hear you had a pleasant experience!
Respected Contributor

Around here, no matter what the sign says  It's DUNKS.

Valued Contributor

There are many around here. I like the iced coffee, donuts and muffins. The sandwiches leave a lot to be desired, imo. They used to have a salt bagel and salmon cream cheese, along with a lovely French roll that were tdf. Haven't seen those items in at least 20 years.

Honored Contributor

I still call it Dunkin Donuts.  But hey, I still say *pocketbook*.

I think Dunkin sounds kind of stupid.  Dunkin.

I hadn't been in one in decades, I liked the glazed donuts, but the coffee tasted like there was soap in it.  

Ended up taking our granddaughter to one on Saturday for some (sickenly sweet) drink.  This one was on Long Island.  Not big, at all.  Tiny squeezed in shop amongst other tiny squeezed in shops/stores.

Last year her obsession was Starbucks for some sickenly sweet drink.

Honored Contributor

Aw, @781Florist ,  as a resident of the state from which Dunkin hails, you of all people should have large luxurious stores--  hope that happens to at least one of the 10 in your area!

Wow, @Tori3569 ,  thanks so much for bringing your inside info and perspective as a member of the Dunkin team!

It's fun that there are plans for stores that evolve over time--  I sure wouldn't mind if they all resemble the interior of the one from the Netherlands that I posted, ha.

I'm one of those you mentioned who puts maximum emphasis on the coffee, over the donuts.  For health reasons, I have to avoid deep fried food.  Really like sandwiches like toasted cheese and avocado toast.   

Sounds like you have much responsibility--  I very much appreciate you taking time to respond in the thread!

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure it is to make sure the customers become aware that they are more than just donuts.  However I stopped eating donuts long ago. I really don't think they are a healthy choice so I was not interested in buying DONUTS so I stopped shopping with them thinking that is all they sold.  

I guess I should check them out and see what they are about these days. 

Esteemed Contributor

I do remember they started out at least in my area as Mister Donut. Then

Dunkin Donuts and now just Dunkin.

I prefer to make my own coffee. We have two in my area and I don't go

to either of them. Lines are long and crazy all day long.

My sister goes all the time. Buys the XL coffees and she would not function

without her daily caffeine fix.