Honored Contributor

A SPLASHED OUT "DUNKIN" OR IS IT "DUNKIN DONUTS"?

[ Edited ]

(By the way, can anyone tell me when they dropped "Donuts" from their name--  seems to me I became aware of that a few years ago?  But you hear both, so not sure.)

I almost never go there for coffee, since a couple near us are not very well managed, for some reason.

But we were errand-running in our nearby county seat, and needed to find a meet-up place with our son.  There's a new, revamped truck stop at the highway, combined with a "Dunkin", and wow.

This Dunkin is big and airy, has soaring, cathedral ceilings, huge windows, a fireplace, groups of comfortable overstuffed chairs, etc.   There's no fluorescent orange in sight, that I can remember.   You could call it Starbuck-ian.

Anyway, it was actually fun to linger in and drink our frozen pumpkin-swirl coffee (I think that's the name-- it was very good, and I'm not especially a pumpkin person.)

Question--  do you think this Dunkin is so fancied up because it is a hybrid with the truck stop?   The Dunkin sort of "morphs" into the large other half of the complex, which contains a large "general store" type inventory.

Or do you think all of the the Dunkins will eventually be upgraded to this?

Continuing my Dunkin obsession, I've loved the quirky narrator they have for their radio commercials, ever since the summer, when you could hear him intoning "It's HOT...."        And his "Fall into Fall" ones are good too.

Whew, I hope I don't start dreaming about Dunkin....

Edited to add--   Smart of them to put "Coffee and More" in the sign of this one I found online,  indicating the expanded menu choices....

0611dunkin.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A SPLASHED OUT "DUNKIN" OR IS IT "DUNKIN DONUTS"?

Well, call me a decade behind the times, I didn't know they dropped "donuts" from their name.  LOL. 

That sounds like a fantastic, fun place.  Wish we'd get one in my neck of the woods.  I highly doubt it though.  I must have 8 or 9 Dunkin Donuts within 15 minutes of my house, but they are all the old time little ones.  

Respected Contributor

I read a year or more ago that the name will be changed to "Dunkin".  There's one in my area that is just Dunkin.    

I still see Dunkin Donuts signs around, maybe they just haven't changed all the signs yet. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Lucky you!  We had Dunkin many years ago, they left our area, and just recently built a drive through small shop right near the big Walmart.  I think you can go in and shop or drive through.

We had a Krispy Kreme, and it went out.  Mostly what we have are small strip mall places that seem to all be run by Asian people--they must have a company or something.  Good donuts.  And of course local donut shops that close about 11 a.m.

The donut world is an odd one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makes sense to save the company money by not having to print or display both words in DUNKIN' DONUTS. Consider all the ink, lighted store signs and billboards. Those will use half of what they use with two-word logos. 

DUNKIN' is more than just a donut shop as well. 

Starbucks has a similar story behind why they changed their logo.

Valued Contributor

Sounds like a lot of fun.  You sure wouldn't want to linger in the Dunkins near me.  They are cold and the staff is not very friendly.  Perhaps that's changed, haven't been there for years.  Maybe yours was a prototype to see how the public reacts.

Reminds me of a McDonald's in Hanover, PA.  It was a traditional McDonald's building, but inside there was a fireplace and inviting seating, almost rustic.  It was wonderful.  

I think it was remodeled a couple of years ago and I'm sure they removed the charm the former restaurant had.  

Trusted Contributor

The DD's in our area are all going by Dunkin' (signage has changed).   A lot of us still refer to them as DD.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

It seems they've dropped Donuts from their name.  The Philadephia Thanksgiving Day parade has long been sponsored by Dunkin Donuts and 6abc, but "Donuts" isn't in this year's logo.

dunkin.PNG

Respected Contributor

I remember hearing that Dunkin Donuts was dropping the Donuts in their name a couple of years ago.  I never understood why.  Years and years being known under Dunkin Donuts and generations of people recognizing the name Dunkin Donuts.  I think it was because since they just didn't serve only donuts, they wanted to be know for other items, especially coffee.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

they dropped the "donuts" from their name in 2018.

from what i read, they wanted something simpler for the full name.

dunkin has come a LONG way from being a donut shop......sandwiches, smoothies, breakfast items, all kinds of coffees, healthier choices, and snacks......plus donuts. their rebranding must have worked because anytime i am in a dunkin it is packed, and not just in the mornings. it is still quite popular here and we have at least 6 dunkins within a five mile radius of our home.

"By simplifying and modernizing our name, while still paying homage to our heritage, we have an opportunity to create an incredible new energy for Dunkin', both in and outside our stores," said Tony Weisman, Chief Marketing Officer, Dunkin' U.S.

by the way, even starbucks changed their name.....from starbucks coffee to just starbucks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein