Honored Contributor

Re: A SPLASHED OUT "DUNKIN" OR IS IT "DUNKIN DONUTS"?

I think they want to compete with "Starbucks" so they are now "Dunkin."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I used to own a BR franchise and back then Dunkin and BR merged. That's when I sold my franchise (also life events happened that influenced my decision). I never believed in the ice cream/donut merge but it took hold and you'll see those around too. The idea was, you have a commercial grade kitchen, why not extend its use to more hours. Yikes! Who wants to oversee more open hours? Not me. I moved on from franchising to working for a large corporation and got my life back. Benefits, paid vacations....all that good stuff.

Honored Contributor

They dropped the Donuts about 5 years ago. Most people here in MA called in Dunkin long before that. They rebranded and refurbished because they weren't just donuts and breakfast sandwiches anymore. It's not a small company, it's a huge and smultinational so of course there are small shops and big impressive shops.  The newer one near me is two floors and it's really big and very busy.  You can order downstairs and eat at a table or booth upstairs where it's quiet and there's a lovely view.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just Dunkin now.  I don't get their coffee as I drink tea.  And their tea is a LIpton tea, which isn't bad but I like other brands of tea.   We have one near me.  I just walk up to get the glazed donuts.  I do like those. I have no idea if they started out as coffee and donuts or what.  I do know, they slumped as people were trying to diet so they were forced to give up the donuts and emphasize the coffee. Also the threat of Starbucks spurried them in to action.  I think it was a smart move. They seem to have recovered.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched a series called " The  Food that Built America "  which in one episode  told the story of  " the birth in the mid 20th century and growth of Dunkin'  Donuts  and the Krispy Kreme retail doughnut chains . "
 The series has been  very interesting , abt how many brands of food items or food chains that we take for granted now a days originated.  The  human stories of the entrepreneurs  who developed these food items and selling concepts is fascinating. 

Honored Contributor

The Dunkin near me still doesn't allow customers in store so people have to line-up in their cars and place their order via an awful speaker to a worker inside with a hard-to-understand foreign accent.  No thank you! ...Talk about unpleasant.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Dunkin is global so they wanted to stay relevant so they dropped "Donuts"  and they are calling themselves a "beverage company"  since the world now cannot have just a plain cup of coffee.  now it's all about candy drinks.

Get An Inside Look At Our Next Generation Concept Store In Quincy, MA

Honored Contributor

It is VERY interesting in getting all these perspecitves on Dunkin from around the country.  Thanks to all respondents.

@Citrine1,  @Sooner ,  @Chopsmom --  I'm sorry you still have to put up with the little cramped, tedious ones-- that's what we have here too, except for this one.    Here's to Dunkin expanding more attractively everywhere!   Check your truck stops....

@SilleeMee,  that money-saving argument makes a lot of sense.  I think you are spot on in your analysis, as usual.  And of course,  as @sunshine45  and others have said, with the diversification of their menu, and more healthy options, dropping "donuts"  is a savvy move.

@ValuSkr,  what a bummer that you are still being prevented from going inside.  I wonder if that is why they now have partnered with Doordash and Uber eats etc.,  to provide home delivery?   It seems amusing to get delivery from a coffee shop, but more and more, I could see it!

I don't eat donuts, but I like simple sandwiches, like their dual-cheese Grilled Cheese Melt,  and although very basic, their Avocado toast is something I could always order.    Muffins surprisingly good too. 

Am also a coffee hound, so things like their "Americano" with espresso shots are first choices with me, but maybe once a month I like a totally decadent, milky frozen "artisan" coffee, yum.

So having a good Dunkin, pleasant to hang in for a change, and close enough to be a "destination" coffee spot, is a plus for me... 

Honored Contributor

This one is in the Netherlands--   hey,  Dunkin, do you think you could do more of these over here??

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 1.23.58 PM.png

Honored Contributor

I cannot recall seeing a Dunkin' anywhere around me.  I live in the heart of Starbucks' country.