Respected Contributor

Re: A SLICE OF LIFE IN NEW YORK CITY, 1911

The traffic flow reminded me of a highly choreographed dance. The subtle maneuvers that horses, pedestrians, trolleys, carriages, and cars had to make to stay out of peril were highly tuned. Corsets aside, I prefer the care and attention, perhaps even the elegance of dress in this era, over the pajama party and flesh on display I see everywhere today. The ladies certainly were not fast food junkies and it shows.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this. Time traveling is so much fun!

Contributor

What stood out for me was how nicely the women dressed, so ladylike and composed.  It's a far cry from today's dress code of boobs hanging out and skirts/dresses cut way too short and using the f word in every sentence!  Thanks for sharing this, I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My great aunt (OMGosh my most favorite person who I've ever known Heart) was hit by an automobile in 1913 in Boston when she was 15.

She was badly hurt and was crippled for the rest of her long life (93 years!), but used to joke that there weren't that many cars on the road and she still managed to be hit by one.

ETA: I prefer it w/o sound.

Honored Contributor

Love these comments about time traveling, refined modes of dressing, and, @Lucky Charm , a valiant great-aunt who survived great trauma and kept a wonderful sense of humor.

The posters on this thread have been outstanding.

Valued Contributor

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT WOW I ENJOYED LOOKING AT IT. ALSO ALL THE MEN WORE HATS    THANK YOU AGAIN

Trusted Contributor

Love how everyone who isn't a laborer or street vendor is dressed to the nines.